Hotel Principi D'Acaja
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Fitness center
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I booked this hotel for one night, arriving from Saluzzo, with the goal of not driving too far for the very early morning flight from Turin airport, and yet I wished to see Turin’s center in the evening. The hotel served the purpose quite well, and overall I was pleased with it.

1) I booked “Large room with Art Nouveau furniture”, and indeed the room was very spacious, with high ceilings and stylish furniture. There were many nice touches, like little tablecloths on tables and nightstands, bed mats, beautiful chandelier, window treatments. The whole impression from the room and the hotel overall was surprisingly favorable, it was indeed decorated in Art Nouveau style and the hotel impressed as a place well cared for and well-maintained.
2) In addition to the bedroom, my room had a bay window seating area with a table and sofa, and it was extremely convenient for the computer and other electronics. The Wi-Fi signal was excellent in the room, both my Android phone and the computer worked fine with it. I really liked the comfort of the seating area, full of light, although the chairs were not of leather but of some cheap plastic upholstery.
4) The bed was quite good and comfortable; there were extra blanket and pillows.
5) The shower was very good, the bathroom clean and efficient, although the bathroom heater was not working. I was explained that in May the heating in Turin was off by law.
6) There was a little fridge/minibar in the room, a definite plus.
7) There was an elevator, which is an advantage for luggage, etc.
8) I managed to park right in front of the entrance, this street parking is free.
9) The personnel were friendly; they helped me with my bags and provided a brown-bag breakfast for my early departure.
10) The elegant hotel building and interior, much superior to other buildings in the neighborhood, suggest that in the past it must have been a fashionable district, perhaps it was at the outskirts of Turin, surrounded by greenery.
11) The drive to the airport was about 30 minutes at 7 am, not too difficult with GPS, although the traffic was intense already.

Disappointments:

1) The reasons why the hotel is reasonably priced considering the very good quality of the building and the rooms are: the outside traffic and a congested neighborhood of no distinction. The traffic was very heavy but after 8 pm it subsides considerably. Since my room was very large and the bed was away from the window, the sleep quality was good.
2) The hotel is somewhat away from the city center, it took 20 minutes by car to get to Piazza San Carlo after 8 pm, although it is not because of the great distance from the hotel to the center; it is due to the fact that traffic in Turin is heavy.
3) There was no radiator heating available in May, per portiere suggestion I tried the wall-mounted A/C, but it was too noisy to use.

Overall the hotel is a reasonable place to stay at its rate, quite elegant inside and out. I like places that have personality and which are built and run on a humane scale, and this hotel turned out to be like that, not like many faceless establishments that abound these days. It is certainly not a princely residence anymore, unless the Prince is a Pauper.

I would recommend this hotel as a good value place for one night; although on my next 3-days voyage to Turin I preferred to stay in a hotel closer to the center (Best Western Hotel Crimea) and in a quieter yet smaller room, even though it was considerably more expensive.

The relatively remote location of Principi D'Acaja makes it an unsuitable place to see the cultural sites of Turin, its main advantage being the closer proximity to the airport than any centrally located hotel.

Overall the hotel scene in Turin is rather disappointing for the price/quality ratio.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the road are quieter, although the best room "Large room with Art Nouveau furniture" is facing the road and is quite noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Gradiva
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was a little bit of a get what you pay for hotel. We had a little trouble finding it, mainly due to construction around the train station. It was simple but clean and fine. We were only staying 1 night so it was all we were looking for.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Depemding much on the room you have, your stay may be ok or less ok. The top floor rooms---at least the one I had been offered---are not acceptable, the first floor rooms ok. Breakfast can be skipped without loss. But the staff is very friendly and helpful. All in all, I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Notwithstanding the fact rooms int the hotel may seem very simple, it has many winning points: 1. position almost inside the historical centre of the city, 2. very nice and clean (situated in an old building with marvellous staircases), 3. very good breakfast, 4. VERY HELPFUL and AVAILABLE staff, that helps you with any information you need.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank igorvg
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had 1 night in this hotel.

We arrived into Turin by train, not many people spoke English in the location, and we did struggle to find someone to help with directions to get to hotel.
So - here they are : Get off train station in Porta Susa, go down to Metro (subway) and take 1 stop to Principi D'Acaja, turn left and cross the main street/tram lines and hotel just a few minutes from there. Buy your ticket from machine first - think it was 1 or 2 Euro each.

Our overnight stay was at the very end of our holiday (in Lake Garda) and we used Turin as a stop-over for a night as we were travelling back to UK by train, via Paris. We'd also just found out that morning a family member had passed away, so we werent in right frame of mind to enjoy Turin or this hotel, but as we couldnt get home, we made best of a very bad situation.

The hotel itself had some charm about it, very high ceilings, very grand curtains, but it was a dark room with 2 single beds, and the bathroom was very dated. It was adequate for our needs though, and it felt authentic and italian. We left very early the next morning, so didnt get breakfast unfortunately, although we'd paid for it.
There was a torrential downpour in the afternoon, so we didnt venture out till evening, but that suited us as we needed to use the wi-fi and sort out plans and phone home etc.

The gentleman on Reception was very very helpful though, and recommended a restaurant nearby - where we had the best meal of our holiday - Gusti e Sapori (see separate review on this)

I dont have anything to really compare this hotel to (our holiday hotel was far more luxurious but we paid a lot more for it) but this seemed to be adequate for 1 night and I picked it because of its location and unique-ness - and we got what we paid for. I'd stay again though but Turin isnt likely to be on my radar again - extremely built up and busy and we didnt have time or inclination to really explore anyway.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple