“Wonderful ice cream in a terrible location”
Review of Gelateria Popolare

Gelateria Popolare
Ranked #25 of 256 Dessert in Turin
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Description: Welcome at Gelateria Popolare: here making a good ice cream comes naturally. In our creams we use fresh milk and cream, cane sugar, yolk and egg pasteurized eggplants. In our sorbets we use the aqueduct water, preferably seasonal fresh fruit and cane sugar. Some tastes are slightly spiced like apple with cinnamon, orange with cardamom and pear with cloves. In the preparation of all our products we do not use any additives of any kind, nor aromas, colorants, preservatives, hydrogenated fats, powdered bases or prepared preparations.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Wonderful small place, great ice cream, nice owner. Environment could be better... All in all, a really nice place and one of the better ice creams of Torino.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Don't let the location keep you from making the short walk from the historic district to some of the best gelato you will EVER taste! Flavors are so fresh and intense. Grab a seat outside and enjoy!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went to this place with my family after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. We parked the car in Piazza Vittorio Veneto and started walking, passing a lot of very nice gelaterie without stopping because, I told my kids "we are going to the best one in the city".
After about 45 minutes, after crossing a not-so-nice part of town, we arrived at the spot but had troubles finding it, maybe because we were expecting a much bigger place.
The ice cream was good and clearly made in a traditional and healty way, but my kids, more than me, were quite disappointed. So much that we had a second ice cream on our way back, just 5 minutes away from where the car was parked. A much better one (see separate review).

1  Thank Gianluca M
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Sorbets were fantastic. We had the apple cinnamon, cherry, lemon and ginger flavours. Very refreshing with strong flavours and fruit bits. The owner was very affable and willing to explain the various flavours.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Maurizio deals with icecreams as they were his sons and daughters.
Once I showed in and he was making coffee, with a moka. I asked for a cup, and he said "no, it's for the caffè flavour".
My most favourite flavour is Crema Popolare, which is made with eggs, lemon candies and vanilla, perfectly mixed up.
Maurizio is also a nice chatter, and his past activity as social worker remains in his attitude to teach icecream making to north African kids in the neighborough (and to pay them for their work).
Check also his collection of pictures and Topolino available for viewing and reading inside the shop. And don't miss the concerts organized just outside the door in the Summertime.

2  Thank Tiranno