Hotel Leon d'Oro d'Orta
Santa Caterina(Orta San Giulio)
$80
  • Free Internet
Il Cucchiaio di Legno(Orta San Giulio)
$96
Piccolo Hotel Olina(Orta San Giulio)
$82
$75
  • Restaurant
Hotel Aracoeli(Orta San Giulio)
$128
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
Hotel La Bussola(Orta San Giulio)
$149
Travelocity
  • Pool
Locanda di Orta(Orta San Giulio)
$96
  • Restaurant
La Contrada dei Monti(Orta San Giulio)
$117
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Bocciolo(Orta San Giulio)
$141
$137
B&B La-Florida(Orta San Giulio)(Great Value!)
$94
B&B.it
Hotel San Rocco(Orta San Giulio)
$293
$249
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscomfort roomthe hotel is perfectly locatedfrench windowsthe hotel receptionoverlooking the lakethree nightsfamily runfantastic locationmain piazzabarbaraislandortatowndungeonlakefrontboatstaxis
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I have read with interest the wide range of reviews for this hotel. Since first coming to Orta San Giulio in 1997, I have stayed at a hotel across the piazza from Leon d'Oro, but this year, my regular hotel had been sold and was being renovated. In May 2008, I took my travel group to lunch at Leon d'Oro, and the food was delicious, the waitstaff was exceptional, but I had experienced some of the rudeness others have spoken about, not from staff but from one of the principals.

However, my experience this last fall was quite different. The hotel manager was quite helpful when one of our travelers had to cancel at the last minute due to illness, the man on duty at the desk went beyond his duties to help straighten out a problem I encountered with my private transportation service, I got a beautiful full-lake view room with a door opening to an expansive second-floor (?) deck.

While I can understand the reports of rudeness, because I did experience that at one time, I saw no evidence of it this time, and our stay was lovely. Not everyone is effusive, but all were most professional.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We were going to arrive late and knowing that the hotel reception closed about 10.30pm I phoned to advise them. They said do not worry and on arrival, we had a drink or two. The staff could not have been more helpful.
Our room (superior) was very clean, a little small but typical in such an old place.
The staff were attentive (if not a little old) and could not fault them or the quality of the food.
I do not understand previous comments about service and rudeness and would suggest they are ignored.
We would certainly visit again, although I think we would only stay at this town as the others seemed pretty quiet.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArthurBarrie
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Let me start by saying that I spend half my life Italy..and have never come across treatment like this!!
My boyfriend, who is Italian, booked a romantic weekend at this hotel. We thought after visiting Lake Como and Garda, we would see the smaller lakes.
We travelled from Milan and when we arrived, the receptionist was very rude and hasty. I had left my ID in Milan and, as all guests need to be registered, she didn't want to give us a room, even after we organised getting it faxed over. Eventually she called the police to confirm it would be ok if she let us have the room with only my boyfriend's ID, as expected they weren' t bothered and couldn't understand why she was calling them.
Eventually, we got our room.... the shock.
My boyfriend had booked a Superior room, but it was absolutely tiny..not even worthy of standard. We could hardly move around the bed. There is not even a table or a chair in the room (lack of space) and the TV's are near the ceiling. He had requested a bath (my health needs) and they had confirmed this on the telephone, but there was no bath, only a tiny shower. AND to top it off, our balcony was directly infront of someone elses balcony...:(
When we called to ask to change rooms, she denied taking the booking and told us to come down as she had called the police (about the id card).
The police told us we couldn't stay, which was acceptable. I asked why the receptionist had called them when we had sorted it out, and she insulted me saying: ' We don't want you here in Italy, go back to England.' The kind of comments you want to hear in a hotel that has mainly American/English tourists hahaha. We happily left and strolled to the San Rocco.
At D'Oro they make you pay half the amount when booking, which is a pretty desperate sign according to my italian friends..
I would definitely recommend the SAN ROCCO..worth the extra money.. especially the view and amazing service :)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ciaociaoc
Reviewed September 18, 2009

The hotel itself is nice though the rooms are on he small side, but saying that are decorated to a good standard.

The location is great, just off the main square and on the side of the lake, which boasts excellent views.

However where this hotel is seriously lacking is in basic customer service and all round general politeness of certain members of staff. The female receptionist has got to be the rudest person I think I have ever come across. She was pig ignorant, was incapable of listening and was all round very aggressive in her general manner.

I am under the impression it is a family run buisness, and the mother seemed to have her moments also. A female member of our wedding party was shouted at for asking for a change of table at breakfast, the mother shouted at her that she was very busy and had too manything to do.... It all seemed like we should be gratefull to have paid our money to stay there and how dare we ask for anything.

Despite the beautifull surroundings I will definately NOT be staying at this hotel again, and would advise you to consider your accomodation decision when staying in Orta, there is a hotel just on the other side of the square which was closed ofr refurbishment, which my be a better option when it reopens, not too sure of the name though.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank UKFoxhunter
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Hi,
We have just returned from staying in Orta for a week for our wedding. Our guests and I stayed at this hotel and were really happy! The rooms were lovely and newly refurbished and the staff could not do enough for us!! Barbara, the owner, was so lovely and went out of her way to help us and our guests. I would definitely stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family