“Peaceful by the lake”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Leon d'Oro d'Orta
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Orta San Giulio
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We arrived late just before reception closes at 10pm. Nice welcome. You have to park in one of the town car parks as the hotel is in the pedestrian part of town. The room and bed were very comfortable if a little on the small side. Bathroom/shower good. Breakfast was good and the restaurant in the evening excellent. One of our party was handicapped and wheelchair access is good - just don't get back in the evening after the reception is closed as the night entrance involves many steps. The town is beautiful, the water taxis helpful and enjoyable. The town is difficult in a wheelchair due to many cobbles. I was a bit concerned by the non-refundable deposit on the room, even in the case of several days notice. We will go back, perhaps without the wheelchair!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Leon d'Oro d'Orta

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Every time we come to Italy we stay at this little gem of a hotel. We have a room which overlooks the lake and never tire of the view. The room was spotlessly clean with a good bathroom and comfortable bed. We have never had any problem with the service and always find the ladies a pleasure to communicate with. The restaurant is also excellent both in terms of food quality and the service which we have always found to be helpful and friendly. There is also a very good wine list and the prices are very reasonable. I intend to stay here in the future and I also don't understand the negative reviews by others.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harry J
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just returned from the most enjoyable week at Lake Orta, which is idyllic, traffic free (generally) and you have to slow down; the pace lends itself to total calm. Hotel Leon d'Oro is in a prime location, on the medieval square overlooking the lake, and the island opposite with mountains in the background. Picture postcard pretty. The family owned hotel, rung in a way Italian families do, with everyone being involved and doing many jobs is quirky and the views from the rooms are stunning. Breakfast is good, with fresh fruits, croissants, breads, cold meats and fantastic freshly squeezed orange juice (which you do yourself). The restaurant is superb; they have a brilliant chef, a limited menu but everything we ate was first class. So much so, we only dined twice anywhere else. The food is beautifully prepared and presented, good flavours put together, and the wine list is also excellent. Rooms are small but comfortable, clean and well serviced. I would and will recommend this hotel and am only sorry to read such negative reviews from others. We loved it!

Room Tip: Request a superior room with lake view, or better still, the Suite Delux or King Suite for that spec...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wendy_mundie
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have never written a hotel review but after our terrible experience at this "hotel", we felt compelled to warn others. Please do not be swayed by the pictures on the internet. Even though this "hotel" is nicely decorated, you will leave as angry and disgusted as we did.
The "hotel" is owned by a mother and daughter team who feel compelled to argue and yell at you over every question or request:
It started in the first few minutes after our arrival: The daughter was disgusted that we would not leave our passports with her for a few hours so she can take her time to input our names and passport numbers into the computer (which took her less than 2 minutes).
I was literally yelled at about why I want a couple of extra pillows by the daughter. Why didn't I tell them before I arrived that I would need more pillows? I got more verbal abuse and louder yelling from the mother a few hours later when I reminded them about the pillows: How selfish I was, didn't I know that if every guest asked for extra pillows the "hotel" would run out? Keep in mind that we saw no other guests there and doubt if any other rooms were occupied.
The sneer of contempt we got when we asked if the mother could call for a taxi for us was priceless. When I asked the mother why she was angry at me, she simply walked away as I talked to her back.
Do not subject yourselves to this kind of abuse. Give your hard earned money to an establishment with staff that has basic social skills and a modicum of politeness. This mother daughter team has no business dealing with the public.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Constantina L
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I can't believe the negative views on the Leon D'oro.
I go to Europe twice a year and I always go to lake Orta and either dine on the verandah for lunch with friends or stay with friends over night. I have to tell readers that the Ronchetti family who own it are wonderful people two sisters own the hotel and the reception is run by a daughter Barbara and the Head waiter in the dining room is Mario both caring and super people. To dine on the verandah overlooking the Lake under grape vines is a culinary experience. I have taken dozens of people to this hotel and they all say thank you foe a memorable time. Sincerely Peter Pigott

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Peter P
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel was the last leg of a trip around Italy, so we had a fair frame of reference for comparison by the time we arrived.

The town is absolutely beautiful, don't let my review put you off visiting. We paid more for this room than any others during our trip, but by comparison the hotel was a disappointment. The rooms were quite small as they tend to be throughout Italy, but there was hardly space to walk around the bed.

The breakfast was just about the worst part of our stay, a real poor selection of dry bread and meat. By way of juices, they provided small cartons of gloopy, artificial rubbish.

The staff or hostesses as other reviews mentioned were cold and made us feel quite unwelcome. The reception seemed to be closed most of the time, I think they need to take on more staff.

Room Tip: I think you can pay more for a suite, if you want to spend some time in your room relaxing then its...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teddy_ward
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Absolutely fantastic situated place , chaming disigne of the rooms , afresco performed walls, Has own terassa sea view You easely can walk down and have a bath in the lake directly from steps of the low garden of hotel.Grand respect to ladies- hosstess! Restaurant- kind of perfection for very reasonable price!
Penso tutti itagliani riconoscono questo bel albergo !

Room Tip: lake vew , bella vista But i think all are charming Penso tutti sono buonissimi
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple