“DISAPPOINTMENT-WEDDING - VILLA CRESPI”
Review of Villa Crespi

Villa Crespi
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Orta San Giulio
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at Villa Crespi on my wedding day ( for preparations as well as my wedding night) on the 12th of July 2013. I have frequently visited Lake Orta the past 12 years and was very excited to stay at Crespi as i have always loved the area and was expecting only the best from a Relais &Chateau property. The premises are naturally very beautiful and in distinct moorish decor, which is why i chose to book for my special day there. Upon my arrival, i was not properly greeted firstly, secondly and completely shockingly inappropriate to the occasion was the fact that a rather bald haired man in a black apron ( presumably the barman, as I saw him the next morning at the breakfast buffet) came storming out telling me to be quiet in a VERY demeaning and RUDE way. This almost made me cry, i was so excited to get dressed and was waiting for the reception to copy my id documents at that moment. The florist brought the flowers and i was standing with my mother, sister and grandmother, of course naturally excited but in no way noisy! The way i was spoken to was horrendous. Then he went even further to very arrogantly ask me whether i was aware that only 2 people were allowed in the room. I was not sure to scream or cry, or whether he took me to be the most stupid person on earth with his insulting question. It was the most stressful moments before going to church to get married and this barman talked to me this way. I replied that of course i was just getting ready and me an my future husband was to stay there that night. Since we are private bank/black credit c clientale i wasn't sure who he thought he was talking to as i have NEVER experienced this treatment in my life, let alone expecting it on my wedding day. Then Roberta from reception was very unfriendly ( clearly thinking she was better than us as she was extremely dismissive as she showed the suite we would be staying in). Nothing was done friendly, she seemed annoyed at best. The suite was lovely, but that was it. Service in this establishment was lacking at best. Lastly, i am not only a tourist as my husband is Italian and his family are from Orta. I have travelled all over the world, been in the best hotels, yachts ect. All i can say is even if they are are a 4 star, at 600 euro a night for a suite and being the most special day in a girl's life the service and treatment i received is completely unacceptable. I felt intimidated, embarrassed and the incident dampened getting ready. I felt even more anxious and stressed out than a wedding day already is. The only friendly person was the waiter bringing coffee at brunch the next morning and a young woman sitting at reception when we left.
I am sad to have to write this review, however i sincerely hope anyone that is the search of service and friendly reception, especially for a wedding day needs to give this villa a huge pass.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank SUNRISE1987
Villacrespi, Direttore at Villa Crespi, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Sunrise,

While we thank you for your observations and comments we are naturally disappointed that you were unhappy with the treatment you received from our staff.

For the sake of accuracy, we wish to respond to your letter which we feel has been an unfair representation of the facts which we would to recount so that all Trip Advisor readers may come to their own conclusions.

You were spending your first night after your wedding and we can understand your excitement, indeed we have many guests such as yourselves and we celebrate their newly made bond with them. You chose to have a large group of people with you, not just your immediate family, and they were quite loud and behaving in such a way as to disturb the peace of Villa Crespi
which as you rightly observe is part of Relais & Chateaux, who require all their member hotels to show calm and tranquility for the sake of all guests in residence.

Our residents were seriously put out by your guests' behaviour, sadly, and the restaurant manager you describe who asked you very politely to consider the other guests was far from rude and arrogant, in fact he was embarrassed to have to mention this.

So we are sorry that you were unhappy about your experience and suggest you may have been a little emotional given the circumstances. We can say in all honesty that our staff in its entirety was most correct with you throughout your stay. Like all our guests, you are very important people.

We want you to have a wonderful stay in our villa, indeed we sent you a bottle of prosecco so you could toast your future life together, which we hope will be very happy.

Best regards,

Cinzia Primatesta Cannavacciuolo

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night in june 2013. I booked this hotel in order to have a fantastic place to take my wife to have her birthday dinner. After booking (!!!) I realized that the restaurant was closed on this evening (mondays) Having made the booking all ready I thought I would go anyway and try to make the best of it. I had no idea what i was in for, as i had done very little research on the town and hotel, other than that it was on route to our other destinations in Italy.
we arrived by car, and the drive there was like the closer you got to the hotel things got more and more magical, endless roundabouts led us to scenic views looking down on glimpses of the amazing lake and the estates around it. When we arrived at the hotel, we were blown away at how impressive it was sitting up on the hill in all of its ornate glory! anyway, the hotel interiors are as good or better than any of the pictures here and the rooms are like perfect little guest quarters in a fairytale castle. i could go on, but what really blew us away was within a short walk down the road we came upon Orta san giulio which is through my extensive travels through Italy, on of the most fantastic surprises, i have encountered. Orta san giulio is one of the most amazingly perfect places i have been, it was like a weird italian disney fairytale setting. In june when we were there it was quite empty, on a 15 min stroll down to town we didn't see but one or two people the whole time. Walking around there was like having the whole town to yourself. I was upset that we were only staying there a day and i will definitely return for a longer stay.

1  Thank teddyteddyteddy
Reviewed July 9, 2013

There is no doubt, Villa Crespi is a special place. How often do you get to stay in a 1870's Moorish styled villa? That said, this hotel has pros and cons.

Cons: quirky / smallish interior, no pool, so-so garden, although close to lake Orta, you are not on lake Orta nor does any room have a view of lake Orta. Finally, this hotel is quite expensive.

Pros: unique hotel, comfortable rooms, good service and excellent advice on touring the area. And the best? The food at the 2 Michelin Star restaurant was outstanding. Excellent in every way. We ate there on a Tuesday night and the place was full (reservation required). One of my top 10 eating experiences ever. And surprise...compared to the hotel itself, the price for this exquisite dining experience was quite "reasonable".

Would I stay again at Villa Crespi? Probably not. My advice? Stay on Lake Orta at Hotel San Rocco but do have dinner at Villa Crespi. Complements to the chef!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2013

From the moment you set foot on Villa Crespi, a guest is given the level of service that is reserved by 5 star hotels.
From the front desk to the servers to the people in housekeeping, everyone seems dedicated to make sure yours is a pampered stay.
The breakfast, which is included, is not a continental breakfast. It features scottish salmon, three kinds of ham, four different cheeses, homemade yogurts, fresh fruits, fresh squeezed orange juice,
a selection of cereals, brioche, flaky croissants, prosecco, cappuccino, and more.
Our room had a four-poster bed, dual archways, and a chandeliered bathroom.
And if what is listed above is not enough of an inducement, the Villa Crespi is also home to a Michelin Two Star restaurant.
Why this is not s five star property is a mystery to me.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 223. The view of the lake is terrific. And in all likelihood, you have not stayed in ro...
2  Thank tomshille
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We got to the hotel a little bit late, on the day the 2 star Michelin restaurant was closed, but we were cheerfully received and directed to the village and recommended various restaurants, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Next day we were advised the places to visit. We took a tour of lovely Sacro Monte, a World Heritage site, which was extraordinary and right next door to the hotel.

In the evening we were delighted with a tasting dinner from the restaurant which had the most outstanding assortment of breads and desserts to complement a delightful dinner. Dinner and breakfast were served in the same dining room without taking away anything.

The hotel and the restaurant staff were very attentive to all our needs and requests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Villa Crespi is different. It is charming. It is old, interesting and has character. The rooms are the same and the staff delightful.

But, what is different is the food. In the kitchen is a master who has the insight and imagination to be able to amaze the diner with unbelievable combinations of ingredients. He sets the stage on the plate where the performance includes the most delicious of dishes. At the end of each act through the degustation a new wine is chosen to enhance whatever is coming next.

A truly memorable experience, a veritable feast for kings.... The breakfast was good too.

Room Tip: This is a restaurant with rooms... Go for the food or don't go.
1  Thank Finchamrose
Reviewed June 10, 2013

me and my husband came to villa crespi from the south (coastal area). it was NOT worth 330 euros at all. The place really needs a make over. i wanted to stay in something 'different' for our last night but it ended up being really run down and scary inside. wished i would of stayed by the beautiful coastal towns. my husband had a bath and luckily he works in plumbing and managed to fix it. breakfast was of a good standard and service was decent...nothing to complain there...that was about it. we decided to make the most of our last day and euros so decided last minute to book a spa treatment to try and brighten up the mood. this was horrendous. for 90euro pp - which is what you would pay for a 5 start luxury hotel in almafi coast!!!!....it was probably the worst massage i have ever had (and i have had a lot of them :) )
thats it...i will never go back there again!

2  Thank amy887
Villacrespi, Direttore at Villa Crespi, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Firstly thank you, Amy, for your review and for your criticism which has given us ample food for thought and a new opportunity to improve our service to Villa Crespi guests.
Our guests are our first priority and we never stop learning from them. We are sorry you did not make your disappointment known at the time you had your massage or at check out when our sraff has confirmed that they had asked after the services you received.
We would have done our utmost to provide you with the best possible solution for all concerned and without doubt we would have been delighted to send our maintenance person for any spot repairs required in the bathroom. We feel sad about your comments regarding the location of Villa Crespi and Orta, Lake Orta is a gem and considered to be Italy's most romantic lake.
The Amalfi coast is absolutely stunning and very different from here: one of the unique and truly lovable characteristics of Italy as a country is the many diverse kinds of "land, lake and seascape", so very different that it is almost unfair to compare them, there is so much to be discovered in each. The same may be said of Italian architecture and Villa Crespi is truly unique being the only palace in Moorish style in the whole of Italy and much appreciated by lovers of beauty all over the world who have visited and been most impressed with its quality and state of preservation. We understand that you may not wish to come to Villa Crespi again but hope that you might reflect on the area and give it another chance in the future.
Thank you once again for taking the time to visit and to write.

Cinzia Primatesta Cannavacciuolo