“Interesting food, dreadful service”

Ristorante Villa Crespi
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: "Our passion for hospitality and restaurants have led us to treat this fascinating work with the love, respect and respect it so greatly deserves. Our innovative Mediterranean cuisine is distinctive and we love to pamper our guests in the romantic rooms overlooking the lake where staff and surroundings reflect genuine harmony." Antonino works on his cuisine every day of his life, drawing inspiration from life itself. His dishes also reflect and epitomise his journey northwards from the Sorrento coast to his wife, Cinzia, a native of Orta which is now his home. These are the secrets of our two Michelin starred restaurant.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The chef is clearly a bit of a dude, he was sending out some seriously interesting food. Not always to our taste but we could appreciate the art of all of it.
The setting was great, as long as you don't mind faux grand and stuffy, which I don't.
The service though, dreadful. The waiters were too attentive and noisy and made a great show of preparing cutlery and laying out trays. That's behind the scenes stuff chaps, all the customer wants to see is the food and the wine. Which reminds me, the wine was super.

2  Thank WJB0
Write a ReviewReviews (2,103)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

From the incredibly professional service, to the magnificent meal, I will never stay in Milan on my final night in Italy again. Food was impeccably prepared, any additions or changes accommodated and the wine steward introduced us to some local wines I was not aware of. Should be a three star

1  Thank Jerry S
Reviewed September 6, 2013

One expects from Michelin-starred restaurants consistently high quality, impeccable service and respect for the guests. It has never happened to me that I would forego finishing a meal out of desperation to leave a restaurant, and a two-star Michelin restaurant at that. However, I was so unhappy with the quality of the meal, the service and the overall experience that I couldn’t bear the excruciating wait for the petit-fours and coffee.

The evening started badly because we declined an aperitif – this obviously threw out their procedure, as we had to then wait 15 minutes before being given a menu. Unfortunately Villa Crespi perpetuates the insulting and archaic custom of omitting prices on the menus given to women. The cheapest set menu at 95€ was not worthy of any Michelin stars –surprisingly flavourless food, odd combinations (octopus and watermelon!?), with small portions and a lack of attention to detail. And the staff’s attitude towards us was the unappealing combination of unctuousness and contempt. Overall, I felt – as did other diners that evening – that there was a lack of generosity of spirit.

Villa Crespi succeeds at separating diners from their money as efficiently and cynically as possible. Apart from the hugely expensive wine list, what highlighted this was the meanness of the cheese course. Although two huge chariots of cheese were wheeled out, I was allowed only three varieties by the waiter, who then took great pride in slicing the tiniest of portions, each scarcely larger than a postage stamp. Villa Crespi trades on its location, the beauty of the surroundings and on its past reputation. However, this was a shockingly bad experience for me, quite the worst I’ve had in many, many years.

21  Thank tangoclare
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Dining in the Michelin 2 star restaurant was going to be one of the highlights of our stay at the Villa Crespi and the reviews the Villa Crespi has received in this respect heightened our expectations, but, regrettably, it fell a little short of these.
The dining room at the Villa Crespi like the rest of the building is magical but on arriving we were a little overwhelmed by the number of waiters. The menu had several “set menus” we chose the Carpe Diem menu as it seemed to suit our tastes better. The waiter, who took our order, asked if I had any allergies and I said only shell fish and he said he would adjust the menu accordingly which was encouraging. There were several amuse bouche courses all very attractively presented, In this category of restaurant I normally find something that really excites the taste buds but regrettably I did not get this experience The main course of kid I found almost tasteless I left most of it and told the waiter why, he then seemed to have difficulty understanding me and thought I was saying it was too strong and explained that kid was a type of game and would be strong I tried to explain again but I was not getting anywhere not wanting to spoil the evening I let the matter drop. The meal was very elaborate and stretched out over a long time it was just unfortunate that , given the Michelin star rating and the reviews.it did not live up to expectations, for us

4  Thank Rodney B
Villacrespi, Proprietario at Ristorante Villa Crespi, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Rodbin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with us and the TripAdvisor readers and please accept our apologies for not coming up to your expectations on this occasion.

As you mention, a number of tasting menus are offered particularly for guests who have never eaten with us before, as well as the full a à carte menu. It is indeed most regrettable that you were not pleased with your main course and even more so that your whole experience was marred by our waiter's comments.

While we are aware that many people choose dishes with ingredients they are not familiar with, it is more comforting to be offered not a mere explanation of the dish but something to replace it. We are once again most apologetic if there was any misunderstanding and trust that this will not prevent you from returning in the future.

With our warmest wishes,

Cinzia and Antonino Cannavacciuolo

Reviewed August 30, 2013

After going to investigate this amazing building, we found it to be one of the best known hotels in Northern Italy. Being bold and full of confidence we sat in the gardens and ordered a pot of tea.....The waiting staff treated us as if we had ordered a meal and a weeks stay. They were welcoming and polite and the tea was delicious too.