“Not welcome ...”

La Nuova Mergellina
Ranked #25 of 541 Restaurants in Pavia
Reviewed April 20, 2019

Visiting from Firenze with our small well-behaved dog, we were looking forward to having lunch at the number one ranked pizzeria in Pavia. However, we were forced to stop at the door before entering due to their NO PETS ALLOWED signage. This policy is so antiquated and unnecessary. This was never an issue elsewhere in Pavia - only here - and nothing for them to be proud about.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed November 27, 2018 via mobile

I went to La Nuova Mergellina with a friend for a casual dinner. It's not easy to get a table for a Saturday night, it's better to reserve one or two days in advance. Pizza is delicious, it's the original pizza from Naples. I tried the one with mozzarella di bufala and I liked it a lot. My friend ordered a calzone and was also very satisfied.
The service is friendly, despite waiters have to be very quick in taking orders. It's due to the fact that they have a huge amount of customers and they need fast turnover.
Overall, it's definitely worth going back, it's one of the best pizzas in Pavia.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed June 22, 2018

We went there 8 friends and family.
Staff was very nice and welcoming.
Pizza was uniqe and tasty and the house-wine was lovely.
I can really reccomend this place for an authentic experience.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank IdanMD
Reviewed February 21, 2018

Similar style to the ones I have had in Napoli. The pizza was good. I ordered one with the ricotta on the edge of the crust. Though it was good, it was extremely HEAVY since they put too much of it. By the time I reached half of my pizza, I felt like I was smothered by ricotta. So I couldn't finish it.

The server was a little cold. But overall good experience.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed October 24, 2017

We had a surprise party for a friend's birthday at this establishment. We went for a pizza and drink. I arrived first and was greeted and shown the table but this was the extent of the welcoming treatment I observed. Though-out the evening, the staff were rude, pushy, and unhelpful. Despite a party of 18 people, we were crammed together in overcrowded room that wuld have been comfortable with half the tables they had. No menus were offered, instead the waiters decided the food we were to be served, and proceeded to order everything on the menu. So much food in fact that we had difficulty finishing it. While this would be fine if the restaurant was working from a pre-fixed budget for the party, they were not. The final bill was astronomical and far beyond the reasonable range of a party of students or the quality of the food delivered. 3 of every started seemed to have arrived along with as many pizzas they could give before we refused more food.

Appeals to stop further food fell on deaf ears.

The only positive point would be the quality of the pizza dough, which was very good, but the overall experience was abysmal. Perhaps the takeout option may be better, but I would discourage anyone from eating inside.

Date of visit: October 2017