“Real Italian food with atmosphere”
Review of La Libera

La Libera
Ranked #1,758 of 8,563 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Brera
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Excellent restaurant found by my son. One of the oldest restaurants in Milan, I am told.
Great for a group and romantic couples. Great service just a delight. Will certainly coke back here again.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

ok service , and ok food . Not a cheap option but imo there are better restaurants in the area with better value. If you do go then have the veal cutlet

Reviewed April 30, 2012

I was recommended this by one of the local delicatessen merchants that specialises in Mozzarela and have superb Parma, so it seemed only reasonable that they may know a thing or two about where to eat nearby. I liked the fact that it had many locals and was not packed with tourists.

For no fuss traditional quality Italian I think this place is very reasonable (not cheap) and would definitely go back.

SERVICE
We did not have a reservation (arrived at 9:30pm) on a Saturday and they found a spot quite quickly and were accommodative. I found the service surprisingly quick.

FOOD
Drinks we ordered water and a bottle of nice local merlot wine.
To start: I had the Timable di Mozzarella e Melanzane con zuppe de pomodori, which was very nice especially if you like aubergine (eggplant for Americans). My wife had simple multi-leaf salad, nothing spectacular so can't really go wrong.
Main course: I had the Tagliata di Manzo con spinaci (and garlic shoots, not the garlic itself) e pomodori. I asked for the beef to be cooked rear, and it was very good! I did not order any sides of carbs as I'm quite a carnive less so a pasta man, wheras my wife took the Tagliatelle di zafferano con gamberi, as she enjoyed the fresh pasta and shrimp in a nice saffron sauce. thumbs up as well.
No Desert as we were full, and would have taken an expresso but wanted to get up early as it was already late.

The bill came out €70 which I felt was reasonable for two people and probably about right given the meal.

I would recommend it for a nice dinner out to those with moderate expectations (note it more bistro than fine dining).

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I'm been 20 years ago, and was a good experience. Last week stay with friends eating pasta and pizza. The service was very good, the pizza was good but hard and dry !!! Happen sometimes... the dishes was great...fish fried was delicious and the pasta with pesto and also the famous yellow rice with zafferan was wonderfull. the only problem was the space too small and full of people. also the bill was a little bit expensive but the quality is great !! tro try again when there are less people to wait !!

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Other more trendy restaurants in the general area were booked (who knew Valentine's Day was big in Milan) so we were referred to this place by a hostess at one of the 'booked places'. We easily got a table about 8:30pm as this seemed to be a walk-in place for the local residents, but by 9pm it was packed. The food was well done (osso bucco and branzino), the service was fast paced but attentive, and the house red very nice. It had the perfect feel of a true neighborhood dinner hot spot!