“Food OK, not particularly great, more welcoming to locals than tourists ..”
Review of L'Oca Giuliva

L'Oca Giuliva
Ranked #374 of 8,239 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Ithaca, New York
“Food OK, not particularly great, more welcoming to locals than tourists ..”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This was a neighborhood restaurant that was very crowded. We thought it was a good sign because it was popular with locals. We were welcomed warmly but that was it -- they could not find us a menu in English, they sent us their sole English-speaking waiter who was cheerful and exuberant but ended up hustling us through our meal and misleading us with his translations.

For some reason he kept urging the "pasta with lobster" on us, when we demurred he took our orders. We asked for contorno choice (Mediterranean vegetables) to be served before our main dishes. When we ordered our main dishes (Sicilian sea bream and lamb chops respectively) he urged us to select additional contorni -- we did, thinking they were free. Not true, we were charged for the orders (not having a menu in English made us that helpless). The first contorno was nice enough as was the Sicilian sea bream. The grilled lamb chops tasted good but must have been made from the poorest selection of chops available -- I had barely a few bites of edible meat and my platter remained filled with bones when I was through.

The Calabrian pepper sauce at the table was superlative -- but that was the only good thing about the meal. We kept getting the feeling that they wanted us to finish and leave as people were constantly streaming in and the server constantly checking in on us.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank rh24

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“a great place for lunch and dinner”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

When a restaurant is always full of locals, you can trust it. L'Oca Giuliva (= the merry goose) is one of such places. Located in a relatively central position, you can have a quick lunch on your own, or linger with friends: it's always busy but in spite of that the service will always be prompt and kind. The food is good, the choice vast, at lunch there are cheap menu selections. The décor is pleasant and colourful. I've been many times and will go there again.

• Visited March 2014
Milan, Italy
“sorry but theres a stone in my pasta”
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Everything was quite ok till i met a small piece of stone in my pasta. it almost broke my tooth off.
ok i understand: that happens sometimes. but 2 mins after i handed my plate to the waiter he returned from the kitchen and told me that was SALT. i'm sorry but it was a piece of STONE.
Guess what's worse? They still charged me for that pasta.
I will definitely never come back.

1 Thank anqi x
“Good choice for competitive price”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I very thankful to the stuff of that restaurant for spent tasty evening! Good food, very attentive stuff, competitive prices. It were problems only with reservation, when we come the tables weren't ready, and we were forced to wait 25 minutes. Also tables are located to close to each other.

• Visited October 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Most welcoming pits top”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went for lunch after tramping the pavements. Had one of the set lunch time deals of wine, pasta with salmon, grilled calamari and asparagus all.for just 10 euro. Really lovely welcoming atmosphere and friendly staff.

• Visited October 2013