“Caprese, pizza, ravioli - oh my!”
Review of L'Oca Giuliva

L'Oca Giuliva
Ranked #307 of 8,513 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a very homey, unpretentious, friendly place that serves *great* food. We went there twice, as it's just a couple minute walk from our hotel, D'Este, also on Viale Bligny. Both nights we had the caprese app with the best olive oil i've ever had, Visagi. The tomatoes were not fabulous, but the mozzarella and olive oil more than made up for it. I'm not even sure it's on the menu, but they certainly have the ingredients ready to go. First night, we also had bruschetta (v. good), veal cutlet (breading not great, so dish not great), and spaghetti alle vongole - really good! Second time, we had pizza diavola - WOW! thin, Roman-style (i think) crust, dripping w/ mozz and oil, and the pepperoni they used was just fantastic. Also had ravioli in (i think) a sage-butter sauce - fabulous. Carafe of house red both nights was really good (and of course cheap). A very nice find.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I rated this a little higher than the other, mainly because I'm from the US and was really enjoying ALL the Italian food I could eat and the staff was very friendly and attentive! Our food was very fresh and seemed to be homemade. We dined early in the evening and got most of the staff attention .. haha. I would definitely go there again!!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

just went there by chance for lunch, food is very good and the atmosphere is friendly, is a normal restaurant thought, not cheap but not pricey either, surely worth a your money, food was amazing, best pasta with vongole I've ever had! I'd say booking is recommended because it looked pretty busy all the time and I've heard the manager many times on the phone turning client down because fully booked already!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

While staying in a nearby hotel, we tried this restaurant because it was raining and we wanted something close. This is a restaurant favored by an older, local clientele (a good sign) and dominated by duck-themed decor (!). But don't let the wood paneled walls and myriad ducks deter you: The pasta is made in-house and arrives at the tables steaming fresh. The wait staff are attentive and will do their best to help you with the menu, but there are no English translations on the menu, which I regard as a good thing. The meal kicked off with a free, small platter of fresh, tasty salumi. The insalata mista was also fresh and large enough to share for two people. It popped with a generous crunch of fennel. The house wine was good and very reasonably priced at 3 Euros for a quarter liter. We shared a portion of four cheese gnocchi as our antipasti course and it was perfect. My husband then enjoyed a steak fillet with a pan sauce and green peppercorns while I ate lightly breaded and perfectly fried calamari. For dessert, the head waiter personally lead me to their dessert case and walked me through the offerings. We chose a surprisingly light chocolate and pear tarte. Other offerings that we observed included pizzas and additional pasta dishes. Overall, this is not a fancy establishment. But it was clear from the clientele that locals hold this place in high regard. The head waiter was a hoot - barking the dinner orders back to the chef and busily shuffling around while muttering to himself. Service came with a touch of humor and pride, making this a very enjoyable experience.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

Good food for a cheap price. The ambient is cute and nice with pictures of goose everywhere.