“Very poor service - so disappointing”
Review of Cracco

Cracco
Ranked #324 of 8,504 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro Storico
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I went here for a late seating after attending the ballet at La Scala. We made reservations in advance and were expecting a true Michelin experience. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed. As we sat down at the table, we were offered a glass of "welcome champagne" by the host. Sure...why not. Sounded lovely. Turned out that they poured us glasses of Dom for 70 euros. We had no idea until the bill came. That was not a very pleasant welcome!
Because we were a late seating (10:30 post theater crowd), they discouraged the tasting menu. So we ordered a la carte. We each had a first course and an entree. The goat cheese ravioli was truly a great dish. The others (including sea bass and sweet breads) were all very good. However, what stood out was the poor service - we had to ask for refills on wine and water. This should never happen at a 2 star restaurant where our 2 course meal reached 400 euros (wine was ~100). Overall, it was the only bad dining experience we had in Italy.

2  Thank CNPhair
Write a ReviewReviews (2,124)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

It is far from inexpensive, so perhaps dine on pizza and spaghetti for a few days to balance the budget. Do not however miss this experience in Milano if haute cuisine is on your agenda. Luca Gardini (acknowledged as the best sommelier in the world currently) recommended Cracco, and I'll follow his suggestions anytime. I have have some remarkable meals over the years, and as someone else suggested; if this was not the best meal I have ever had, it sure ranks in my top five. I elected to try their Ten Year celebration menu, which consisted of course after course of tasting sensations. I knew the wine list would be extensive (thanks Luca), and was able to find a few excellent offerings that did not necessitate a table side mortgage arrangement. If you have an unlimited wallet, there are numerous gems on their list. I have had many Italian feasts where I was full after the pasta dish, knowing that much more was to follow. All the courses on the tasting menu were petite, smaller than tapas, reminiscent of Indonesian rijsttafel type dining. All were superb. Spoil yourself, indulge in a memorable experience.

1  Thank Don R
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Cracco is the heaven of modern cuisine. Reviewing it is a tough job. Really I can't find a single flaw in the cuisine. Perhaps only the pork jaw (musetto di maiale) was a little bit short of salt and slightly smaller than expected, making it difficult to say if it was so outstanding as the rest of the meal. The rest was just WOW!

Wines. The Vernaccia di San Gimignano was good enough, not memorable, a nice wine for a starter. Then we have been served a very good Barolo, whose nose was one of the best I have ever had in my life, and overall was excellent, good choice by a young yet brilliant somelier.

Service: perfect. The entire dinner flowed impeccably, there must have been some issue with the snails at some point, which appeared and disappeared, to appear again a few minutes later, but that was barely noticed by the people at the table. We were 9 persons at the table, the service worked as a clockwork.

All in all, go there if you want to have an extraordinary experience, light years far from anything you have had before, and to face the unexpected. And when I say "unexpected", I say some that can fringe the "creepy" side when explained, but on the table everything seemed just natural, even the most daring combinations.

Prices are what you can expect from a top class restaurant in Milano, check the balance on your credit card before even thinking of getting near, ye be warned, but the value for money is good. The driving wheel is the cuisine (pity there is not an extra star) and the inventive of Chef Cracco; the salle is well balanced, but some choices in the setting leave room for thinking there could be some improvement to reach the excellence. The four stars I'm giving on value and atmosphere are not an absolute measure (they are within the realm of excellence as well) but in comparison with price and the stellar level of what's behind the scenes. Perhaps in this lies the lacking third Michelin star, which would be a natural consequence otherwise.

Cracco is a once in a lifetime experience on the emotional rollercoasters of really sexy food.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The best meal ever have! Everything was excellent from the beginning till the end. Big bravo to the chef and his team!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

If you cannot make up your mind about what to order, try the "about the chef" degustation menu...
Full of creative surprises and sure to make your dining companions go
"oooh I wonder what was in that" and "ahhh that was delicious".... Not something that is easily replicated by the other restaurants...it is a unique experience. It is lux so expect the bill to be commensurate but has some fine wines that won't break your bank balance. Reservations should be made in advance.