All reviews charming hotel junior suite small palace walking distance to the duomo double glazing staff was extremely helpful small shower enjoyed our stay breakfast buffet will stay there again spent nights lounge area comfortable rooms reception desk easy access nice room convenient location
Reviewed September 9, 2017

Like a small castle in the middle of the city with walking distance to the Duomo in the north and Navigli in the south. We loved this place, with its secret garden, cellarbreakfast and nice staff. great room and minibar as well. The bathroom shower was the only thing that didn´t match up the experience.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Maddalena F, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Petit Palais, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2017

Few words and you have resumed some spots of our Petit Palais Hotel de Charme.
Don't worry about the shower. It'll be replaced soon.
We hope to see you again!

Reviewed September 7, 2017

LOCATION: Central and convenient, 10 minutes' walk from the Duomo with lots of other interesting sights within easy reach. Milan is flat and readily walkable.

I arrived by train at Centrale, from which it was 5 stops on the metro and then 6 minutes' walk to the hotel.

ROOM: I booked a junior suite which was large with parquet floors, hand-painted decorative effects and a marble bathroom. These and the location were the attractions in originally booking this boutique hotel.

However, what could have been an impressive and comfortable suite was let down by poor housekeeping and a lack of attention to detail including:
- garbage (including disgusting empty milk containers) from the previous guests in my room on arrival;
- no complimentary supplies of water, tea etc on arrival;
- some towels so threadbare that one had a hole in it.

PEACE: On my first evening, the bathroom aircon was making the noise of a jet engine which the person on reception attempted to adjust from the central control but it pounded away noisily all night until fixed by a technician the next day.

My suite was on the side street along which trams rattle along with great frequency. Double glazing and external shutters muffle the sounds to some degree.

WIFI: Good with easy log-in for a connection that only needed refreshing once during my four day stay.

BREAKFAST: Good basic Italian buffet breakfast overseen by a helpful man.

SERVICE: Well-intentioned but patchy. The small staff are pleasant people generally but there don't seem to be enough of them to adequately manage the hotel and attend to all the details.

Every day there was some issue. Hang your towels up for re-use in accordance with the multilingual sign in the bathroom and they're taken away, which is frustrating, but not always fully replaced, which is annoying. Go to reception for a replacement towel and mention the sign - you get a towel but told emphatically the sign doesn't exist. (Perhaps it was an old sign that hadn't been removed.)

The complimentary bottled water and tea mentioned in the room guide weren't supplied on a second occasion after having been neglected on arrival.

On my last evening, when I returned to the hotel, the automatic doors opened but reception wasn't attended. I went to my room, made a cup of tea and found that the little garbage bin hadn't been emptied. Needing another bin liner, I went to reception, which you're assured at check-in is staffed around the clock, but no one was there, meaning the entrance was still unattended.

After the Barcelona attack, like most European cities, Milan was on high alert with police and the military in the streets everywhere. While the security risk was probably minimal in this area of Milan, anyone could have accessed the guest floors. In any hotel, security should not only be maintained, it should be seen to be maintained. It took over 10 minutes for the man on reception to appear. He was very defensive. Our conversation was tense.

The same man was on duty the next morning and while we parted politely enough, it seemed inappropriate to raise my concerns about the hotel with him. Accordingly, I wrote a constructive email for the attention of management after I left extolling the good aspects that I've mentioned here but lamenting how they're let down by lack of attention to detail and poor service. That was 10 days ago. There has been no reply.

Life isn't perfect, things occasionally go wrong and within reason, I try to accept shortcomings with understanding. But to have so many lapses of service in a 4 day stay exceeded the bounds of acceptability.

VALUE FOR MONEY: Poor.

For a 4 star, the hotel is reasonably priced but only if a commensurate standard of service is provided. It wasn't.

NEXT TIME?: No.

The negative aspects outweighed the positive and I was glad to leave. Staying here took the edge off the pleasure of all the fascinating and beautiful places I visited in Milan.

I don't like writing negative reviews on Tripadvisor. This hotel is one of over a dozen places that I've stayed at in Europe in the last two months as part of this year's trip. Everywhere I go, my expectations are positive in the hope of being able to write a review with a Tripadvisor rating of 5, as I so often do. (According to my Tripadvisor profile, in fairly detailed reviews of 52 places in 46 cities that I've submitted in recent years, on 30 occasions my rating has been 5 and for 15 others it's been 4.)

I research where to stay thoroughly and it's disappointing when accommodation that looks promising fails to deliver.

Milan is a fantastic city but next time I'll stay at one of the other 4 star hotels which abound in the central area around Duomo.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank PartyofOne2013
DanielaDonegana, Direttore generale at Hotel Petit Palais, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2017

First of all I would like to thank you again for choosing our hotel while staying in Milan. My apology for the late reply as I have been out of the country during the past weeks.

Please do except my sincere apology that we have not been able to live up to your expectations. Since I do take guest feedback very serious I prefer to personally followed up the issues you mentioned in your written feedback with all related departments heads and team members.

HOUSEKEEPING: service is a important service and directly appeals to a guests impression of our service standards, I am sad to read that during your visit we have not provided the service you become to enjoy during your previous stays. Our Executive Housekeeper and myself have had a long conversation in which we established a revised training plan to emphasize on personalized attention to details such as the one stated in your feedback. We have already taken the necessary actions.

PEACE: as you wrote, the problem was fixed in one day. Maddalena, the girl you spoke with about the noise, tried to solve it directly that evening, buti t was not possible without a technician.

BREAKFAST: Italian breakfast is usually made of coffee or capuccino and a croissant. Our breakfast is composed by: multivitamine juice, blackberry juice, fresh milk, butter, salted butter, margarine, fresh bread, fresh brioches, 2 home made cakes, home made biscuits, muffins, muessli, corn flakes, bran tablets, fresh fruit, vegetables, fresh orange juice (made for every client at the moment), 6 kind of honey, 6 kind of jam, different kind of yoghurt, actimel, yakult, 4 kind of dried fruit, different kind of seeds, salami Milano, ham, roast turkey, smoked salmon, 4 kind of Italian cheese and a la carte, without extra charge, eggs. Also drinks are a la carte.
If this is a basic Italian buffet breakfast. I cannot understand which is the normality for your standards.

FRONT OFFICE: As you wrote there is a high allert in Milan, but in our buiding there are some security systems not seen from guests that guarantee your privacy and security. If you found the front office not attended for some minutes, it was because the man had been called by one of the other guests in hotel

I’d like to finish with a question for you: if your stay was so disappointing following to your standards, why haven’t you asked to speak with the Manager or spoken to Maddalena also about those and not only about the beautiful places in Milan and around Milan?

I do not wish to make any excuses as the mentioned issues are not according the standard, you are used to and the reason you chose to stay with us. We are always very grateful for sincere feedback like yours in order to evolve in our service deliveries.

Reviewed September 7, 2017

We were thrilled to stay at this hotel . It is a beautiful Italian hotel . The location is perfect too . The rooms we had were large and comfortable . The kitchenette was great to have . We were able to have a cup of tea , upon entering into our room . The balcony off the room was beautiful . It is always nice to be able to step outside to get a feel of the wonderful outdoors . LOVED It there ! Thanks

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review and for the highlights you listed...little particulars we enjoyed you notices.
We are happy to have been part of your trip to Italy!

Reviewed August 28, 2017

Lovely, quirky furnishings, all very charming. Not too far to walk to inner city centre. Would recommend to families with children; we had two adjacent rooms. Staff were very friendly and able to recommend good local restaurant.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Maddalena F, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Petit Palais, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2017

We are extremely pleased to read your positive review of our property and it is a great pleasure to learn that you liked so much your stay and our service.
We look forward to welcome you back in Milan for more amazing experiences.

Reviewed July 31, 2017

True to the description read on line, it is a cozy, classy, boutique hotel with lovely rooms. In spite of the construction going on, outside, it is very peaceful inside and you are well taken care of. It was also convenient and within a short walk, you can be at the Duomo.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Maddalena F, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Petit Palais, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2017

Thank you for having taken time to write this review! You just resume the peculiarities of our hotel.
We hope to see you again!