“unfriendly and rude, their website lies.”
Review of Hotel Gonzaga

Hotel Gonzaga
Ranked #397 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed June 12, 2009

my boyfriend and i flew to Burgamo and got a bus from the airport to the city, €17 return for both of us, had major trouble finding the hotel, no one knew it existed, although everyone was happy to help us find it. when we finaly did find it it was unrecognizable from the photo's. it was on the 3rd floor of an apartment block, we had to buzz in and give our names, we were told they were fully booked and we had to explain that we had a reservation. we were realy put off by the apperance of the place from the outside. the hotel however was ok, rooms were basic, but clean. my main problem was with the staff, so unfriendly and unhelpfull, they seemed to be annoyed at any questions or problems we had, is it not there job to help?? on their website it says "smoking permited" which is not true, "tea and coffee making facilities"-not true and there is only about 5 channels on the TV and sky apparently dosn't work? a quote on the website aslo states: "Elegant atmosphere, which is adjusted fully and completely to the needs of the guest" COULDNT BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. receptioist was extremely grumpy and ignorent, manager wasn't much better, one receptioist was asleep on a chair when i came up to get a drink at the "bar" around 4 o clock in the evening! this hotel is a good place to crash, its cheap and most things are easy to get to from here, but dont expect much.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amy031

Reviewed June 10, 2009

Don't confuse by the hotel picture and address. It looks like that the hotel is a big building; however, you can't find it's lobby at the ground because it is located at the 3rd floor! Actually, I don't mind if I know this upfront. However, it is just out of my expectative. The room was very big but there was no bath tube or bath sink in the toilet. Therefore, water floods after bathing. So be careful!

One thing you need to know is that if you go out in the night time and return after 7pm, you need to use a calling machine downstairs to call up the staff at the hotel so that you can enter the commerical building front door at the ground floor. We have to stand at the street for a few minutes before the hotel staff aware our call downstairs.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Yukling
Reviewed April 8, 2009

My girlfriend and I flew into Bergamo Airport with Ryanair. We got a bus from the airport to the Central station, 1 hour, €20 approx return for both of us. Hotel Gonzaga is less than 5 minutes walk from the Central Station, even though everyone we asked did not know the hotel or where it was. The hotel was an ideal location to catch the bus to the airport for the early morning return flight. The hotel is a 30 minutes walk from the city centre/ duomo (catheral). The hotel is very basic. The staff are not friendly. It is on a very busy and noisy street. The hotel would not turn on the air conditioning so we had to leave the window open so we didn't get much sleep. The room was clean. The beds were dressed and new towels were put in the bathroom each day. The breakfast is very minimal, no hot food. If you are on a budget then you will accept the hotels flaws, if you are looking for luxury then this is not hotel for you. The hotel is cheap but that doesn't mean its good value for money!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeanB1
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Arrived on a Sunday to stay for a week. Uncaring reception staff did not know how to tune in a TV station - in the end he admitted they cancelled SKY the week before and there is no SAT TV. The room was hot and I tried to adjust the temperature on the Air conditioner on the wall, not working - I found out the reason later from reception staff - the Air conditioner in the hotel was switched off. With the windows open, it is noisy, traffic and trams constantly passing by.
For the price of EURO 100 a night there is much choice around stazione centrale. The breakfast is cold with dry rolls butter jam, croissant, no meat (except 1 day was sliced ham but not the rest of my week). Cafe latte is 99% milk, no taste of coffee. Selection of fruit juices, yoghurt are OK. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Pootzi
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I was so confused by other trip advisors reviews so I was a bit skeptical what I ll find when I was booking this hotel .But I was happily surprised. Very good hotel for that price I booked, comfortable rooms and most important for me ,it was clean indeed, good location for using metro and train, I think 20-25 min walking to duomo , just everything perfect. Furthermore it was close to area ( 15 min walking) with bars (corso como).
Ok, the breakfast was not rich but I think its enough (its not a 5 star hotel so…) and SOME of the personnel could be more smiley but all of them were helpful. I would recommend this hotel to friend and for sure I would stay there again if I visit Milano.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank CyprusPikas
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I'm giving this hotel a 4/5 based only on the fact the the rooms were huge (compared to other places we stayed at in Italy), very nice, and clean and that it was so close to the train station.

The room was the best room we stayed in on our whole 2 week trip in Italy. The entire floor is marble all the way throughout the room from the bathroom to the bedroom area. There's a safe free of charge and plenty of room to put luggage and shopping bags on the floor without having to tip toe around them to get by. The rooms are very clean and the bathrooms well maintained with showers that were bigger than other hotels we stayed at. The breakfast wasn't bad at all - they had a chocolate tart that was delicious!

However, like what other people have already said, the staff does seem to be very uncaring. No smiles or friendliness is allowed it seems. We also had to wait for the clerk to finish their conversation with another employee before we were attended to. I have to say that the lady serving people cappucino/coffee for breakfast was very nice though. You can tell when people care about the job they're doing and she seemed to be doing that.

Overall I'd say stay here if you don't have any special room needs, that way you don't have to deal with the front desk staff. The less contact you make with them the better your experience will be.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank santimo90
Reviewed October 1, 2008

The half bald blondish middle-aged man working overnight is extremely grumpy and unhelpful. Most probably he hates all the foreigners, so it's better to avoid contact with him. One evening he was having fun commenting in Italian the guests to his colleague and I was really sorry to understand him! While handing over the room keys he said to the colleague next to him - Questi qua mangiano come delle vacche (These people eat like cows) - referring to the people to whom he was giving over the keys! Maybe he had been counting the pieces of ham they had eaten for the included breakfast?! I don't even want to imagine what is he thinking about all the guests if he's saying out loud those things in front of them! If you have to choose this hotel, it's better if you don't speak a word of Italian to understand the offences, don't have any questions about tourist sights or public transportation that might DISTURB the staff! There are plenty of hotels in the area that most probably have better services!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank trainu