“Excellent location, nice petit hotel”

Hotel Nuovo Marghera
Ranked #198 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Location: great, every/any place is close enough by metro. Metro station is half-minute walking from the hotel, no way to miss it ! Lots of nice restaurants around (Casa Lucia, at the corner of the street, is wonderful), fast-food, banks, fashion boutiques, cafes... Very convenient
Hotel room: a bit small, or very small. Depends your size, I'm not big anyway.
Breakfast: very nice, pastries are good. In case you want to eat something else, the cafe right beside the hotel has wonderful things as well!
Value: well, you get what you pay for, and I think this hotel is good value for rates offered, excellent central location, nice service, nothing aHUU but its a nice place and I left it without any bad thing to say.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 5, 2012

As we had read reviews on TripAdvisor before booking, we decided that it was better to pay for a superior quality room. From what we have heard about Milan hotel standards, this one was pretty decent. The bed was on the small side and not very comfortable, but the bathroom area was nice, clean and newly renovated. Some noise from other guests and cleaning staff can be heard early in the morning on the hallways - since I have no problem sleeping, it was absolutely not a problem to me. Staff were friendly and helpful, even with my slow italian! The location of the hotel can be quite busy during the day, but since it is very close to a metro central red line (Wagner), moving around the city is absolutely not a problem, which is exactly what we were looking for. There is also a small supermarket located just around the corner, and some small restaurants that looked interesting (our dining experiences took place elsewhere in the city, though). Breakfast is not the best you can find, but there are some fair choices. For me, the main downside on the breakfast area was that there was no water around. Wi-fi was available for an extra cost.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Very well located, clean and decently priced. Rooms are a bit small.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed in this hotel during Fashion week, so hotels were extra expensive. I chose this hotel for its location, the availability of wifi and the so-claimed soundproof rooms.
I had a superior single room in the front of the building. The room was nice. It was small, but its Milan, so I am not complaining. However, the claim to be sound proof is completely not true. I could hear the person in the next room calling on the phone, taking a shower and I could even hear the metro passing by. The wifi, which you have to pay for, was not strong enough so I could use it in my room on the first floor, so I had to sit in the lobby to be able to use the internet.

Positives are the location, excellent breakfast and the great neighbourhood. (Galleria Marghera has excellent icecream). The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed this hotel for 3 nights and we were very pleased. Yes, hotel is not fully renovated yet, but superior rooms were very nice- simple but beautiful and clean. Area is also very nice- quiet and decent and metro connection is also very good. We recommend it to people who look nice hotel with good value of money. It was a good choice :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The hotel doesn't feel at all like a 3 star hotel. Design and decoration is very uneven (cool breakfast salon, weird corridors). My room (a single one) was very small (one of the smallest judging by the floor plant) and decoration was sort of depressing. Towels are thin and I could spot some worn out bits on the sheets. Location is good - the subway is just in front of the hotel (5 ou 6 stops from Piazza del Duomo) and there are lots of nice restaurants and bars around. The staff is kind and helpful. It was nice to discover there was a safe and a fridge (empty though) in the room. It's clean. AC was working. Breakfast is rather basic but fair (I've seen worse breakfasts in more expensive hotels). Overall: good value for money. If you are not too demanding and all you need is a place to crash I have no problems recommending this hotel. No free internet. Luggage store is paid (1 euro).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The hotel is adjacent to a stop on the red line of Milan's Metro (Wagner), the room was cleaned daily and the staff were polite. Otherwise, this hotel has little to recommend it.

The room (101) was dark and dingy, with old, grimy carpet, wallpaper repaired with transparent tape, and electrics covered by duct tape. The door to the corridor moved visibly when you put the key in the lock and could easily have been pushed in from the outside so it could hardly be described as secure.

The room smelled musty, and both it and the windowless bathroom were decorated in dismal brown and orange. Since we had been offered another room when we arrived we knew there wasn't a better option. The hotel's website (http://hotel-marghera.com/) claims all rooms and doors have been sound-proofed, but we couldn't see any evidence that this place has seen a lick of paint since the 1970s.

Not a single piece of information was in the room, not even a 'phone list for hotel reception: no local free magazines, a city map, nothing.

We were charged EUR 215 for three nights for a double room. Never having been to Milan before, we figured getting a place right next to a Metro stop was sensible, but the Metro and ground-level tram systems cover the city so well, you don't need to spend money to stay in the centre of town. Short-stay tickets for the city's transport system were cheap and available from the machines in the underground.

We happened upon a district southwest of the Duomo that had a Bohemian vibe (Corsa di Porta Ticinese), so we would look for a small hotel or an apartment swap around there next time.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple