“super for one night”
Review of Gambara Hotel

Gambara Hotel
Ranked #251 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed March 5, 2014

we booked for one night and we have everything what we pay for it.Clean and small room and very close to metro station.the staff is very nice and they help us about problem we have with hotel eddy one floor under hotel Gambara.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank panceandonov

Reviewed February 9, 2014

A very conveniently located Metro with old-style charm.
Two fantastic pizza places very close by (the one right near the hotel entrance called something like "Becco Fino Pizza" and one a bit further away called Gastronomia Comotti) and gelato place (Gelateria Baci Sottozero).
Hotel can be tough to find, just look for the giant brown door and you'll need to ring the buzzer for Hotel Gambara if the door's closed.
Oddly our room had no toilet, but it did have a bidet?! It also had a shower which was fine but very tight.
It is about halfway between two metros - use the Gambara one. The other one requires more street crossing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J A
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We booked for 3 nights in this hotel for a bargain through internet. We wanted just to sleep and all day we were outside. It is located just 200m fro Red line Metro which is the best! It is what it says and I totally recommend this hotel. So, lovely that they could provide us for free with a nice espresso and really clean rooms!

Room Tip: Room 12 has a very nice balcony, if you are on a sunny day with no wid you can enjoy a coffee in the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank georgespyr
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed 2 night at the Gambara Hotel and I must say it is not the best hotel I ever seen but having payed something like 60 euro per night I have nothing to complaint about!

The hotel looks old but the room are in good condition and they clean and change towels every day.

It true that the hot water is very limited and you need to take a very quick shower but it is enough to get yourself clean! Do you really need to get 30 min shower when you are traveling??? go out and enjoy the city, for 60 euro/night what do you expect? a Sauna?

The staff is very kind and helpful and they speak english too (a bit funny english but enough to be understood eheh).

The hotel is not far from the city centre, just take the underground (the station "Bande Nere") is right behind the hotel) and in 15 min you will be in front of the Duomo. It is also close to San Siro, you can take a bus or walk (20-30 min).

Overall: absolutely a good choice if your intention is to enjoy the city and save money without expecting any luxury.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gmore
Reviewed February 21, 2012

For what I paid for my single room, the hotel was quite far from the centre of Milan (though close to Gambara metro station so not too long a commute), my room was absolutely tiny - the smallest I've ever seen - and the hot water did not last longer than five minutes.
The floor was dirty and the room smelled like smoke when I arrived. I'd requested a non-smoking room, but there was an ashtray on the desk when I checked in.
There was a very rickety spiral staircase to get to the lower floor which creaked a lot and did not feel very sturdy.
There was no smoke alarm in my room, though I am not sure whether or not this is the norm in Italy (though there were smoke alarms in my rooms in Florence and Rome).
To lock the room from both the outside and the inside the key was required.
My room was cleaned only once during my four night stay.

The staff were friendly and helpful but I thought the room was overpriced for what it was. I had much nicer accommodation (excellent location and larger, cleaner, nicer room) in Florence for €10 less per night.

I am not one to complain about basic hotel rooms (I'm there to see the city, not to stay in the hotel all day!) but I felt that the room did not reflect the price I paid for it and while I'm okay with basics - 5 minute showers, dirty floors and smoky rooms are not what I expected to come across.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. 2 minute walk to metro and a supermercato.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a private bathroom if you require this - some of the rooms have shared bathroom...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank kared13
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Hotel Gambara is not exactly in the centrum, but it is a short walk to San Siro stadium (I travelled with my brother and father, so they wanted to go) and there is a metro station around the corner. We had free parking outside, in front of the hotel on the street.
We had a triple room, 3 single beds, TV, sink and shower in the room. At the end of corridor, there was a shared bathroom and toilet, which we used, it was OK. There is a steep staircase from the floor we were staying leading (I suppose) to some other rooms.
The hotel is on the second floor, there is an old fashioned lift, so its not a problem, if you have lots of luggages. The people at the reception was really nice, providing us with tourist maps and advising, where to get off a metro, so we get off at the Castello Sforzesco (I cant remember the name of metro station, maybe the same?), which was beautiful, and then walked to piazza del Duomo. the metro ticket cost 1 euro one journey/person.
the room was clean and big (no balcony) but big window. there can be a noise from the traffic at the morning, but we didn´t mind, as i was up early in the morning and just sitting in the window and enjoying the feeling, that its a real Milan.
there is no airconditioning, but there is a big fan, so it was enough.
there is a big supermarket just across the street (3 minutes walk). there is a roundabout.
we arrived at 9 pm, then went for a drink (after driving all day). Beer was about 4 euro.
You can buy some water and other beverages at the reception, which I appreciated.
No frills hotel, but I really liked it and I was satisfied. I would go there again. We stayed there 2 nights (July 2010) for 120 euro total.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The only advantage of this hotel - is location - not far from Gamgara Metro station. Hotel is dirty, old and disgusting. Better to pay more money and stay in some real hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple