“A wonderful little place”
Review of Il Girasole

Il Girasole
Ranked #121 of 428 Hotels in Milan
New York, New York
“A wonderful little place”
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

We had an overnight stay here on our way to Nice and we were pleasantly surprised. It is a wonderful little place off the beaten path. The rooms are spacious, very clean and decorated with a simple but artistic style. The staff was very friendly and as we arrived late provided us with sodas and juice. Breakfast was included. We are not really breakfast people so cappuccino and a croissant was enough for us. We didn't look at the the other fare. They also have a nice little patio in the back for breakfast or just hanging out. We enjoyed our brief stay and hope to return.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hebrew first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed for a couple of nights at Il Girasole, and really enjoyed the warm welcome and exquisite room there.

Above all, it is about Nicola and Matteo and how much they dedicate to welcome you and make sure your stay in Milan is as perfect as possible. And that includes suggestions and explanations about the city. The size of this previous B&B allows them to be better focused on each guest while having the professionalism of the best hotels. And that counts a lot.

The rooms are very clean, well equipped and nicely decorated. Each room is unique and there are those small details that make you think "oh, nice!". Yes, there's a kitchenette. And while I thought that we wouldn't use it, it really came in handy! If I can find one drawback, it would be that in the rooms just below the roof on the street side, you'll hear the birds walking on the roof, which can be noisy in the morning.

Despite not being in the city center, Il Girasole location is very good. The metro station is just nearby and it's quite simple to reach most relevant area. I found out it is easy to find place for your car nearby and parking is free on afternoon and on week-end. You can however park your car inside the hotel for more convenience.

Room Tip: Rooms just below the roof on the street side can be a little noisy if some bird decides to land ther...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I just spent 3 nights at Il Girasole, and can't think of anything negative to say about it. The hosts went out of their way to help me with any and all questions. The room was clean and quiet and unique, and had a small kitchenette. The neighborhood was off the beaten path; and an easy, direct subway ride to anywhere in Milan; and using the subway or trams means you see parts of Milan you'd probably miss if you stay right downtown. I highly recommend Il Girasole if you're looking for a friendly, quiet, unique hotel experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank stubby6
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I really can't say enough about Il Girasole and Nicola and Matteo. I had just arrived after a 20+ hour trip and they made me feel welcome and comfortable. The room was spotless and was much bigger and nicer than I expected for a single/standard. I could not believe there was a little kitchenette! It was such a good experience that I am going back at the end of my trip before my plane leaves from Milan. It is true that it is not in the City center, but after the hustle and bustle of Milan, it is tranquil, and the subway is easy to navigate (takes about 20 minutes at most). And, above all, Nicola and Matteo are happy to help you with any questions, directions, etc. I highly recommend Il Girasole!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank hopenm
Floridian in Switzerland
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We came for less than 24 hours to see the James Taylor concert at the nearby Teatro Archimboldi. Thanks to Trip Advisor, I found this lovely hotel. I emailed ahead to ensure it was as close to the venue as I thought, ask for dinner recommendations, etc. I am not sure which brother replied or which one met us at checkin, but they were fabulous. Communications wer perfect - via email, the phone, and in person.

About a 15 euro taxi from the main station (could have done public transport but not enough time), they met us at check-in, offered a coffee or beer, checked us in quickly, helped us book dinner (with complimentary transportation!!), arranged our morning breakfast box (since we had to leave earlier than the buffet began) - all w/i 10 min. And...I must say that they were very GENUINE in their offer to be helpful. We stayed in the "FOOD" room (all the rooms have names - kinda cute) which we found to be absolutely immaculate - Swiss standards even! By European standards, it was perfectly appointed - minimal but tasteful decor (loved the colorful tiles in the bathroom!), towels, even a small kitchen-type corner. We laughed at the "tv" - which looked like a wall mounted computer screen. But..we weren't there to watch tv - we never even turned it on.

We left at 6:30 am and one of the brothers was up early to make sure we didn't miss it! SO nice. :)

We didn't walk around much but to/from the restaurant and theater, it looked very friendly, safe, clean - a city-style suburb.

I would definitely recommend this place and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ufgator27
Naples, Florida
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in March 2012. It is a reconstructed bicycle manufacturing facility that has been totally reconstructed by two brothers as a bed and breakfast. Although it is basic, it was absolutely immaculate in all respects. It is an area off the beaten track in Milan but a short 14 minute underground ride to the Duomo/shopping section of the city center. The area was friendly with a great small Pizza/Pasta place very near by. Your car is safely parked in a totally secure area of the property. We are used to four and five stars but not ready for those prices in Milan. The brothers were great hosts.

Room Tip: The Olmo in the rear was a nice choice. Rooms are named not numbered. An Olmo is the tree outside t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JL1278
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Brothers Nicola and Matteo were the most welcoming hosts and insured our time in Milan was most enjoyable. Would highly recommend this gem of a b and b/hotel. In a city were accommodations are extremely expensive this place was very affordable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Yukonklp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milan
Hilton Garden Inn Milan North
Eco-Hotel La Residenza
Eco-Hotel La Residenza
#67 of 428 in Milan
Grand Hotel Villa Torretta Milano
Grand Hotel Villa Torretta Milan...
#2 of 15 in Sesto San Giovanni
Hotel Delizia
Hotel Delizia
#191 of 428 in Milan

Been to Il Girasole? Share your experiences!