“staying in january”

Catalani & Madrid Hotel
Ranked #393 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

i stayed i this hotel for 5 days..i really stayed very well...it is a fantastic hotel in the centre of milan..the staff is always available..the room are very clean and breakfast is a buffet...i suggest it to everybody for shopping school and for a vacancy..

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank andrea87650

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Thus I started up the stairs of the hotel I regretted having made the booking .
The receptionist looked like he was doing a favor to receive us .
My husband went to the bathroom ( public ) and warned me as soon as exited that was not cleaned properly.
I asked for a map of the city of Milan and the receptionist informed me that I would have to pay 4.5 euros ( the same map they give us at the tourist ofice free ) .
When we entered the room , it smelled like sewage , the bathroom was not cleaned properly , the powder had not been cleaned and the mirror still had the fingertips of the previous guest .
Fortunately , we arrived to Milan in the morning and had time to find another hotel and we didn't stay there despite the stay has already been deducted from my credit card.
I can't understand how the Italian authorities let these kind of hotels be open and in these conditions .
Contrary to the photos that the hotel show on the website, the hotel has a very bad look and it's all very old .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Maria929
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Whole place needs updating .Breakfast poor. No meat. No eggs. Mostly pre-packaged croissants. Good coffee maker with many options. Rooms old with TVs screens of about 5 inches but clean.
Advertised that is has WIFI then wanted to charge for it. Price is already high at over 50-60 euros per rooms for 2 people. Stayed at a hotel in Vienna 2 weeks before, same price but way better.
Most ridiculous thing I've heard (having stayed and traveled in many countries) for the first time was that they want you to give your room key to the reception when ever you step outside the hotel, for a stroll, a drink, sightseeing/whatever. They of course do not take any responsibility if stuff goes missing even though they try to "confiscate" your key. We refused to hand in our keys and told them this is not done anywhere else.
PS> not that it mattered to us, but this is not a mobility friendly hotel. They have this little box they call an elevator which fits I kid you not, (it says) 1 person.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Naomi O
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I booked a single room for two nights, regretted it the minute I opened the door to my room. Firstly, the location. This is outside the city centre and is in a district that is (like most others) plagued by graffiti and in need of some regeneration. When I went for an evening stroll, I was perturbed to find a couple of prostitutes trying to make a living nearby. The room: this was as spartan a single room as you can get. Hard uncomfortable bed, poor bedclothes that left me freezing at night, a smelly bathroom lacking in towels and a bare minimum of toilet roll. No glasses, pictures or anything else to make the stay more enjoyable. Be warned, the walls are paper thin, so every early riser and alarm clock will have you awake....that is if you fell asleep in the first place. The breakfast buffet was pretty bad too. Set in a restaurant that had a very Cold War Eastern European feel about it....stay away from the fruit juices. In fact, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Kannahaklihha
Reviewed January 26, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Cannot express in words the feeling... The room's walls was dirty, had no fridge, the bathroom's faucet hadn't been cleaned for ages -especially the shower-, the blankets were see-through from the holes on it... If someone got lucky, he'd pumb on the only english-speaking employee at the reception (no english for the 3 others). Breakfast was poor, the place that it was served too small and served also the hotel beside (it was also lied to the hotel beside, but anyway...). Not good value for its money, don't stay there! The only positive aspects were that it was nearby 2 metro stations (Loreto and Piola), the bath had warm water and a hairdryer

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marilena T
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed there just for a couple of hours, but that was already too much.
I made the mistake to book that hotel, because of its position...a mistake.
The room was not that small, but the temperature inside was 15 degrees....We asked if there is some they could do and the receptionist gave me a blanket... However we were so tired so we decided to stay anyway...It was so loud and cold .....Never again...We have paid 72 euro for a double room(52room, 10 internet-only on apple products...., 10 parking)
For the price it is possible to find a 4 star even in Milano...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business