“To choose only for the location...but nothing else”
Review of Hotel Pavone

Hotel Pavone
Ranked #346 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The only reason to go there is because you are near the Court and very close to Piazza San Babila and Duomo. Is a small hotel, with really minimal service. Is almost impossible to find other quality except the location. Services are by far below all the standard, breakfast is almost not existing, rooms are small and all the furnitures are probably more than 50 years old if not older. Really not to recommend

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
pavone1, Proprietario at Hotel Pavone, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Every hotel has same lack, however our hotel is chosen from many people ( 2.500 every year) but has no special pretence of superior quality!
About service we do our best to accomplish the customers requests.
Refering the price note that in all the big busisness towns, down town hotels are rather expansive.
Please note that our rooms furniture is not so (or more) years old, but only 6 :
If you give us your adress we can send you a copy of this purchase, but of course it is not style « Louis XIV »!

Reviewed April 20, 2010

We selected this hotel because of its location and because Milan was our airport departure city. It is an easy walk from the hotel to the Duomo and the hotel is on the bus route to Linate Airport. The hotel has almost nothing else to recommend it.

Although the hotel shows a three star rating, it is at best a two star in services and quality. The room was clean but had no other distinctive quality. The bath room in our room was the smallest bath room I have ever found in any hotel anywhere: for example, the location of the toilet paper dispenser made it difficult to use the toilet.

Even by Italian standards, the breakfast that was included in the room rate was poor. It consisted of a drink (coffee, tea , or juice) and a pastry wrapped in cellophane as if purchased from the local convenience store. The poor quality was exceeded only by the small round tables across from the reception that were provided for eating this breakfast.

Except for a pleasant young woman, the three other staff at the front desk at various times were indifferent. Although I was informed on check-in that the hotel accepted credit card payment, when I sought to pay my bill in the afternoon before an early check-out, I was told that the card machine did not work and told where I could find a bank machine in the neighborhood. When I asked about a manual card machine, the person indicated language comprehension was problem. At checkout in the early morning, I was asked for cash and told the machine had not been working. When I said I had no cash, miraculously, the credit card machine worked.

On the positive side, I was able to catch the 6 a.m. bus fifty meters from the hotel for a twenty minute ride to Linate airport.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ruppbenn_traveling
pavone1, Proprietario at Hotel Pavone, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

Lacking will be for you !!
every hotel has same lack however our hotel is chosen from many people ( 2 500 in 1 year ).
but our Hote has no special pretence of superior quality !
about service we do our best to accomplish the customer request.
refering the price note that in all big business city the down town hotels are rather espansive.

Reviewed January 12, 2010

I booked this hotel for my 30th birthday. From entering the hotel or 'Fawlty Towers' i did not like it. Was set back down a dark poorly lit alley way so was abit apprehensive before even entering the hotel.
The hotel was extremley dated the decor was dreadful but was clean and i had looked at a few hotels before booking and if it was not a chained hotel most of them were all of the same decorating standard so was not put off, as it was clean and that was the main thing.
The room was clean and spacious with clean bed linen and towels.
The forst problem was on the hotel website it claimed to have a iron but was told by reception they did not have one and 'convientley they did not speak very good english' so were claiming not to understand what i was saying.
Then my fiance and i were bitten numerous times by mosquitos even though it was October it was still extremley warm. I counted 11 bites on me , reception would not but the air con on claiming it goes off in September as it gets cold!!

Then the final thing was we went out for the day only to come back around 7ish and nothing had been done, beds not made, no clean towels. Only to be told very rudley by staff that we should of told them earlier (even though we had been out all day) All of the staff were extremley rude and un helpful.

On checkout my fiance and i thought it would be a gesture of good will for them not to charge us the full amount as we had such a bad experience at the hotel. Only to be told we must pay or they will call the police

On this we just paid and left. I hated my time at this dump of a hotel it realy was a disgrace.

But Milan as a city was great and i had a great 30th birthday and got engaged aswell so it did not spoil it for my partner and i .

I would strongly not recommend this hotel to anyone it was a disgrace.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jenforan
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed here for 1 night on the way to Florence. We contacted the hotel directly and confirmed the room rate at 80 euro per couple. But when we went to check out the next morning the same person that we confirmed the rate with said 80 euro per person. There was nothing we could do since we did not any written rate quote. This put a sour note on our first trip to Italy which was still a great trip. This affected some members of our party so much that they did not want to spend anymore time in Italy. If you decide to stay here then pay for your room when you check in or get a written quote.

Other than that it wasn't a bad hotel. The room was large and clean but no elevator. Short walk to the cathedral and the castle. It's near a main road with public transport but not too noisy. Parking could be problem if you drive but there a parking garage nearby that was pricey (20 euro/24 hours)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2008

I requested a king-sized bed, upper floor, non-smoking. We stayed at this hotel from 5/16/07 through 5/17/07.

Hotel: The hotel -- well, not having been there before, we had a little bit of trouble finding it, which may be a function of the city itself and not the hotel. We finally hired a cab to get us there and he seemed to know exactly where it was.

Room: Our room was nice, quite noisy from the street traffic, but nice. Very roomy. The bed was firm, but bouncy. Not sure what the deal is with the firm beds in Italian hotels. Do Italians have bad backs or something? I needed my ear plugs to get to sleep because of all the street noise. There was also some sort of weird thing with the toilet, in that everytime someone in the room next to us flushed their toilet, it bubbled in ours. Odd.

Amenities: The hotel has a computer for hotel guests in the lobby which we could use for a fee.

Staff: The front desk staff in the evening were incredibly helpful for finding out information and reassuring me that we'd be okay -- we were taking the train the next morning and were feeling a bit intimidated. The chick who checked us out the next day when I was checking out was unhelpful and a bit snooty. I'm not sure what her deal was, but she was very unhelpful. I wanted to use credit card to pay for the room because I had actually thought I'd already paid online, so I wanted to pay via credit card in case there was an issue later. She was insistent that I pay with cash, even directed me to an ATM outside. She said they were having trouble getting a line for their credit card machine. Interestingly, once I told her I'd wait, their phone line came back up -- what timing! It all worked out, but that experience, along with the street noise and the charge to use their computer for 1/2 hour kind of left me feeling a little ripped off.

Overall: The room itself was nice, just noisy. If possible, I try to avoid staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Ultra-basic. Largely clean but the glass tops on my bedside cabinets were covered in dust. I had no problems, but a colleague was bitten many times in the night by bed-bugs/fleas? I had a large, firm comfortable bed and could just about make out the screen of the 10" colour portable TV about 6-feet away. No lifts to the higher floors either...

The hotel is dark and dingy. The small reception is the bar, reception, breakfast room and lounge.

The "bathroom" was laughable. To use the loo, you had to limbo under the sink. The hotel says the rooms have air conditioning - but there are no controls in the room to use it, it was totally powered down and they refused to give the remote control to use it... so a stuffy night was had even in October.

It's close to the city centre. The Pizzera next door is very nice with a great menu and the bakery on the corner can feed four well for the price of a croissant at the Pavone. Breakfast is not included in the rate - so go to this lovely bakery and enjoy a real breakfast with the Milan public.

Our rate was the peak €220 rate - laughable when you can stay at a good 4-star business hotel for the half the price as we have done for the last 3-months. The landlord also insisted on "cash-only" at check-out...which we couldn't do so he did eventually take Amex after lots of huffing.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank glennonjd
pavone1, Proprietario at Hotel Pavone, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Referring your complaint for hotel services we wish to point out that :

1) In October all the building of Milan are full of mosquitoes because with the change of weather mosquitoes try to save inside the domestic houses. So also in our hotel was presence of Mosquitoes, but not bed – bugs/ fleas, there is enormous difference !!

2)Hotel Pavone is a little and simple hotel but not dingy !! for this reason our hotel is chosen from many people ( 2.500 every year) but has no special pretence of superior quality!

3) Air condition : in October in Milan, due to its continental weather, air condition is out of use.
It is a municipality order !! I' m very sorry.

4) About rates : during the fair period Milan accommodation is very expansive.
But you are a frequently traveller, so you know that:
in the days in which you pay 220,00 Euros in Hotel Pavone,
In 4 stars hotels you not sleep for less of 440,00 Euros for night
,this is the reason for which you booked our hotel.

5) Very sorry for the check out inconvenience !!
the landlord is one of the owner, but he is a very old man and so not love electronic transaction.

Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed for 2 nights at a negotiated rate of €220.
- Rooms were clean, with a comforetable double bed.
- Excellent shutters to block out the light from outside the window.
- Close to City centre
- No assistance with luggage, with no obvious lift to get you to the floor you were on.
- Airconditioning may well be present, but there wa no way to operate it.
- No minibar or snack facilities.
- Shower door was broken.
- 14 inch colour TV which was not tuned in.
- No pay per view services
- Breafast not included. The breakfast room is a pokey little corner off reception.
- Reception was never manned after 10pm, and the doors locked to prevent access. Staff eventually opened up after 10 minutes of ringing/knocking.
- Situated off a major tram/Taxi/Ambulance route. Noisey at night
- No wireless networking
- Very expensive.
- No regular staff. Different people manned the reception each time, and wore no noteable uniform making it dificult to locate staff.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business