“Fresh tasty seafood”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Porta Volta
Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

The setup of the place is this, you wait in line, it can take a while, but the line keeps moving, and the staff hand out chips and wine. You get to the counter, pick the seafood of your choice, they weigh it and you tell them how you want it prepared. Fried, Grilled or in a pan with olive oil and chili. You add the sides you want (go for the potato chips). You then get an order number, order drinks and pay.
The bar staff then send your selections to the kitchen and when the order is ready they call your number and you pick it up.
We chose Fried calamari and Sautéed shrimp and a Puntarelle (which I saw on “Mind of a Chef” salad which was quite bitter. Everything else was terrific.

Date of visit: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,848)

Reviewed February 25, 2018

Had a lunch there and everything was great. Freshest seafood, surprisingly cheap prices. You pick what you want and how much fish/prawns/shellfish do you want. Service is very friendly, but that's not a "regular" restaurant, a little bit of a self-service is required, and that's not a problem at all.

Reviewed February 9, 2018

We visited here a couple of days ago, arrived a little early, as we thought we were going to queue, but just walked in, as the first customers. This was great as they really took time to explain the set up. You arrive to be faced with the most fantastic fresh fish counter, but do not be put off as the prices are very reasonable!
You pick your fish, then you have options on how you want things cooked, fried, grilled (lots of raw fish options too) etc, you pick your sides, drinks and pay. You then have to listen out for your number (easy for us as we were the first to be called!). You pick up your food on a tray. The only slight negative is everything comes at once, and queues do start forming, so you might have to start again! Although we wanted a dessert and the waiter organised that for us, without more queuing!
The fish was excellent, and very good value. Our whole bill came to 62 Euros, with a bottle of white wine (16E) and 2 extra glasses of wine at 2.50E each. We had a skewer of prawns each (7E each); squid (7E); seabass (16E), potatoe chips (actually crisps! 2.50E) and zucchini (2.50E). The puddings were excellent, a chocolate and a lemon tart at 3E each.
The restaurant filled quickly and was full of Italians!
Fantastic! Would recommend for the quality of the food, the value and the experience!

1  Thank 920JaneJ920
Reviewed February 7, 2018 via mobile

Had dinner at this restaurant - apparently the place is very popular and usually there are long queues. However it was raining so we walked straight in. Don’t be put off by everything being written up in Italian - most of the staff seem to speak good English. You choose which type of fish or seafood you would like to eat which they cook and serve with veg, potatoes, bread etc. Every thing seems very fresh and would highly recommend.

Reviewed January 17, 2018

I'd heard this place allowed diners to choose their own fresh seafood and have, but I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
When I arrived, there was already a line almost out the door and snaking its way throughout the front room. Although the locals in line seemed to have a nice time chatting, and staff were handing out free glasses of prosecco wine to everyone in line which was a nice touch.

I was a bit wary about ordering as my Italian is bad, and I could only translate some of the items on display, so when I tried speaking Italian the staff could tell I was having trouble and eventually spoke English back to me which was great. If you're worried about not being able to speak Italian, I hope this reassures you.

All seafood items on offer were labelled with prices listed by weight. I chose a selection of prawns (scampona piastra), calamari, and prawns on a skewer (gamberi spiedo). Everything was picked up and sent off to the chefs, I was given a number to call, and shown to a table. I had everything on my table within about 15 minutes, which is pretty good seeing the place was packed full of people.
Needlessly to say, everything tasted fantastic. A great experience all round.

Date of visit: May 2017