“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #170 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Brisbane, Australia
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed in a family room with 2 teenagers. We were pleasantly surprised by the size with 2 separate rooms and an entrance hall. Breakfast also exceeded our expectations with plenty of variety. Staff were friendly and helpful. The location though not as "pretty" as some parts was still only a short walk from the historic centre, duomo and via montenapoleon. We would stay again and recommend to our friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We are a group of four, three housewives with one teenage girl. We stayed in Hotel Romana Residence for 4 nights starting from October 29, 2013. We were given two double rooms on the third floor.
We spent the first two days sightseeing and shopping in Milan. On the second night, after 9 pm, my friend called the front desk from her room, making an enquiry about how to go to the train station as we were planning a day trip to Lake Como next day.
On the third day morning, we locked all our suitcases properly before leaving the hotel for our day trip. When we returned, it was already around 10 pm. I noticed there were some scratch marks on the zip of my suitcase and when I opened it, I found that all the cash inside, which was wrapped with clothing, had disappeared! My roommate’s suitcase was badly damaged to the point of beyond repair. Other than this, the whole room looked tidy as usual. The room door was intact. The room lock was intact.
We immediately took a taxi to the nearest police station and reported the case. Next morning, we informed the happening to front desk person, but to my dismay, the gentleman did not show the least care or concern. He did not even look surprised at all as if this was nothing unusual, nor did he ask a single word to learn more about the details. Instead, he gave the following response:
1) Things like can happen in any hotel.
2) How can you prove that you really have lost any money? You can claim any amount of money lost as you like but where is the proof?
3) We have close circuit TV and we do have records of the people who have entered your room, but we will not show the video to you.

I could hardly believe that such unkind and unsympathetic words could ever be uttered by anybody in the hospitality industry. Who on earth would have bothered to make up a case of theft after a long day’s travel and then report it to the police after midnight? I then demanded to meet the hotel manager, but he replied that the manager was on leave and could not be reached. What kind of management is this?

On the day when we checked out, several housekeeping staff members were waiting outside my room. I tried to talk to them but one after the other they all denied knowing anything. They just pointed out the names of those who could possibly have access into my room. I met a Japanese lady in the corridor and I told her about the theft case. She immediately went back to her room to take better care of her belongings.

This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with any hotel. I regret that I did not read carefully the reviews about this hotel before booking, especially the one dated August 14, 2012. I feel sorry for those who have to resort to theft, whether out of poverty or greed, and may God forgive them.

Room Tip: Beware of theft in the rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank DWL969

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I made a booking through booking.com as it is rated as a 4 stars hotel. However, we were totally disappointed on the facilities and services provided by the hotel.

There are no air-conditioning inside the room despite it was said to have in Booking.com. We needed to open the window but it was so noisy as our room was facing the main street. The room did not provide coffee maker, no complementary tea or coffee and even no cups were provided until we asked for it. The shower curtain rail fell down when my daughter was taking a bath there while the hot water indicator on water tap was 'blue' and cold water was 'red'

My friends in other room was broken in and the money kept in her locked suitcase was stolen. Zero support or help was provided from the hotel despite of our frequent requests which turned to become complaints.

Staff of the hotel treated the incident as something very normal and showed a very indifference attitude towards it.

I would never stay in this hotel again and will inform all my friends not to stay in this hotel anymore.

Beware of the star rating. I should say the hotel is even worse than a B & B.

Stayed October 2013
9 Thank Tai O
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 9 nights. Clean hotel with decent breakfast and nice rooms. At a walking distance from Duomo and 100m from a metro station. Very friendly staff.
The only problems I faced was the sirens from the ambulances of the nearby hospital and the wifi which was free but extremely slow. I would stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rome, Italy
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times over the past 3 years and each time I have been absolutely delighted by the level of service and the rooms allocated. We specifically request a room overlooking the garden of the hotel as it is quieter than the rooms facing the street, the view is also beautiful with the unusual garden and various churches nearby, you can hear the bells chiming. I cannot say enough about the rooms at this hotel, they are spacious - this time we did not get our usual room but got another one on the same floor (5th) at the end of the passage. What a delightful surprise - spacious seperate lounge dining area with fully stocked fridge which overlooked the Corsa Romana, seperate area for hanging your clothing and then the bedroom which overlooked the garden and was delightfully quiet. The beds in this hotel have to be the most comfortable I have ever slept in, in any hotel. The bathroomsare so clean they sparkle. We arrived quite early at the hotel before the usual check in time but it was no problem, if we could just wait a short while our room would be ready so we went and had some tea and on our return checked into our room. This time round we had a very early departure and needed a transfer to the airport at 4.30am plus a wake up call, everything went according to plan due to the excellent organisation of the desk staff. This is truly a wonderful hotel and the only place we will stay when we are in Milan, after all why change when you can enjoy such excellence.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ekrobertson
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Can not fault - we had a lovely stay! Rooms were spacious, lovely decor (a nice change to most European hotel interior!), breakfast great, location perfect (direct tram line 5min to Duomo) and friendly staff which is even more appreciated with two small children. Will recommend to all our friends visiting Milan!

• Stayed October 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I came in to the hotel early (9:00am) and the rest of my family was to join me when their flight arrived in the afternoon. I asked if the hotel could store my bags and the clerk said yes, my room wasn't ready yet (which I did not expect), but if I would like he would give me 2 rooms, side by side, for the same price and it would be ready immediately. I jumped at the opportunity and it worked out great. The rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable, and the air-conditioning was a welcome relief from the heat outside. The privacy blinds on the windows kept out the noise and light so the kids could sleep of their jet lag. The location of the hotel makes it easy to walk to the Duomo and the tram or metro to other sites. The breakfast was an excellent buffet with many items from eggs, meats, to fruits, breads and pastries. The front desk was helpful and pleasant. This hotel was an excellent choice for a family of 4 with 2 teenage boys.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family