“Nice hostel”

Milan Hostel Colours
Ranked #109 of 291 Specialty Lodging in Milan
Reviewed July 7, 2013

While not smack bang in the centre of town, Hostel Colours is not too far out to be inconvenient. However, the area is not particularly busy at night, and I got in very late on my first nights and felt slightly wary of how vulnerable I was trying to navigate the streets from the metro when I'd never been there before. Luckily I had screenshotted the walking directions and map from Google directions on my phone before I left, so I knew where I was going even though I didn't have a map of Milan yet.

There was some confusion one night because too many people seemed to be booked into our room, and the guy from reception all of a sudden seemed to lose all of his English speaking ability. It got sorted eventually, but it was annoying and an indicator of the organisation skills of the staff and the system.

Breakfast is free, but basic. Expect plain croissants from a package and possibly some bread, with a few spreads available. If you are on a budget and don't want to buy dinner, there are 2 supermarkets within quick walking distance and a fridge that you can store your food in. However, there is no stove, just a microwave and a toaster oven, so be aware of that when making food choices.

The common areas are nice, and during the busy season, it is very easy to make friends if you are willing to introduce yourself. Otherwise, it is equally as easy to sit on your own on your phone and not meet anyone for your entire stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly. The entire facility was extremely clean, and whenever we had questions about Milan (or Lake Como), there was someone there who was willing to help us.

The breakfast is not good at all, so be prepared to supplement it with food from the near by grocery.

My main complaint is that if we wanted to leave the building, we had to ask the staff to press a button from behind the desk in order to unlock the very thick and sturdy main door. Not only was this inconvenient, since the door to exit is down the hall from reception, but it is also a VERY DANGEROUS FIRE HAZARD. If there were a fire, there is a high probability that people would get stuck inside.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a large group of people, you can email them in advance and request that your...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rhea A
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have nothing but positive things to say about this hostel. It's nicely furbished and everything was exceptionally clean. The rooms are massive and the bathrooms are very nice. Staff are friendly/knowledgeable, there's a good common area however when I was there I didn't really see anybody but myself; I can't say it's good or bad for a single traveller, indeed when I visited it might just have been a quiet period (there was little atmosphere with other guests) but certainly it has the potential to be a really nice hostel and again the staff are great! (I accidentally booked for two people instead of one, and I only got charged the first night for two and the second night they only charged for one which is nice).

I found the location fine! Being in a hostel you cannot assume to be within one minute of the major sites and city centre. It's just a short metro ride to the centre. If you're on a budget, the pizza place just in front of the subway, 1 minute from the hostel is great for a cheap snack :)

One minor point- Check where this hostel is on a map before you go! I spent over 30 minutes trying to find it, and nobody seemed to know the street name. It really is less than 5 minutes from the metro stop but when you're presented with several streets in front of you it's difficult to know which to take.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here twice when we were backpacking in Europe and it was great both times. The staff are its biggest advantage! They are super friendly, welcoming, funny and just generally fantastic. We felt right at home here from the moment we arrived. The prices were reasonable, the room we stayed in was fantastic. We stayed in a double room with an en suite - both were very clean and pretty. We would definitely stay here again. The only negative note was the kitchen facilities. The kitchen was a microwave, sink, toaster and kettle. It would have been great to have a hot plate to boil our rice on.
There's a big TV, the breakfast is great, there's an xbox but limited games and you have to leave your passport with them while you play.
Really great hostel. Recommend a stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The rooms were clean, the bathrooms were clean, the lobby was clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Great value for the money. A little disappointed that the lobby closed at midnight (reception is 24 hours). It just kind of forced us to go out a bit earlier than expected. It could be a little more social with the help of some music or something, but oh well. Lockers in the lobby and rooms, so I felt safe. Would definitely stay here again if in Milan. Location is close to a metro stop as well. My only real issue is that they ran out of towels (how that happens, I don't know) but they got some in the next day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hostel appears to be rather new, so everything is fresh and clean. Something I appreciated very much. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. Warm smiles and quick with a joke; always very pleasant. The beds were reasonably comfortable, and I think the rooms all have a maximum of four people (at least the ones I saw). The common area was large, with a big screen TV, video game system, free wifi, had a pretty good bar (I liked the Rubik cube stools...you'll know what I mean when you see them), and included a decent breakfast (I am usually quite critical of the so called breakfasts served in southern Europe). The one possible drawback to this hostel is its location being a little away from the city center. However, being steps from the subway station, getting to the city center or train station is very easy and fast. The neighborhood has all the amenities you could need, including a laundromat, grocery store and bank machine, all less than a two minute walk from the hostel. I was very pleased with my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It is not in the centrum of Milan but it is located just a few steps from subway station so acces to the city is very easy and it takes just a few minutes. The area is calm and it's looks safety. The builiding is nice, there is a huge patio where you can seat and watch TV or talk with other people. Rooms are quite big and comfortable- every room has own bathroom on the same floor. There is a free WI-FI on the lobby. The staff is extremly nice and there is someone on the reception 24h. There is also free breakfast from 7-9.30. I will recomend this hostel for everyone!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends