“Met Most Expectations”

Ranked #141 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Los Altos, California
“Met Most Expectations”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed at Holiday Inn Garibaldi Station for a couple of nights. Let me summarize:
Goods:
- Room was clean.
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- Efficient check-in and check-out
- A gazillion channels on TV

Not-so-goods:
- It's really about 10 mins walk from Garibaldi Station through some city streets that are not very luggage friendly. And it may take a few min to find the hotel too. It's not like you can see where the hotel is from the train station.
- The breakfast buffet is below average. There's no fresh fruits.
- Out of the gazillion TV channels only a few are English :-(
- 22C is the lowest setting of A/C. It didn't work well and I am not sure how bad it may be in the summer.

All in all, I think this is a fine Holiday Inn - as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnMilan, Direttore at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear DT94024
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review.

The comments of our Guests are very important to us to improve the service we offer to all our customers.
We are sorry that not all you have found in our hotel has been memorable and we will do our best to work about it to make it better.

If you want to share with us more comments please fill free to contact us directly writing to the following e-mail address: fom@himilangaribaldi.com.

Best regards
Roberta Picotti
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel on a recent visit to Milano. The hotel is conveniently located close to trains, trams and a short walk to restaurants such as Eataly. The rooms were clean, comfortable with a generous size bathroom. Continental breakfast was offered and free wifi. Would certainly stay here again

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnMilan, Direttore at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Travelgir
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a nice review.
We are extremely pleased to be able to fully meet the expectations and needs of all our services.
We will be happy to pass on to our colleagues in her beautiful words.

Looking forward to welcome you back, to send our best regards.

Roberta Picotti - Assistant Manager
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We picked this hotel as it was advertised at a good price and because I always used to stay at Holiday inns for business before I retired.

The room we had was small for a Holiday Inn but comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was an international buffet and was fine. We did not eat at the hotel in the evening.

The hotel is a bit out of town, in a slightly run down area. That said, we felt perfectly comfortable walking about.

The hotel is an easy walk from Garabaldi rail station, but signage at the station is poor.

Tip: If you arrive at Garabaldi station, walk down the (any) platform away from the concourse and look for the LAST set of steps. Go down and head right. At the very end of the tunnel under the platforms, you get access to Via Guglielmo Pepe at the side of the station. Turn left and it is a 3 mins walk to the hotel

There are plenty of restaurants near to the hotel but not many of them looked particularly nice. We mostly ate dinner in town before heading back to the hotel.

Transport from the hotel was very good as the No2 tram stops outside and will soon deposit you in the centre of Milan. You can buy a 24 hour ticket at the Tabac opposite the hotel for 4.50 Euros and you can use ot on both trams and the metro. You have to stamp it on the machine on the tram to validate it the first time you use it.

Do visit the nearby Milan Cimitero Monumentale - a short walk from the hotel, yes it's a cemetery but its the most amazing experience seeing the shrines, statues and vaults, old and modern that the reflect the Milanese very latin view of death. Go on - I promise its not scary!

Oh - and if you go in April or May, take your umbrella with you. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back. Its quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear rin1952,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our comfortable room accommodations. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge their good stay.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Situated close to station of the same name and with a slightly out of town feel, the trams run by the door to the central area, l found the room to be clean comfortable and quiet. The catering side of things leave a bit to be desired, during my stay, whilst the breakfast buffet was good, the evening was a different matter with one young lady (Francesca) coping with remarkable fortitude
and who appeared to be doing everything except reception!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Stevev12_12,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed April 26, 2014

location wise, fantastic. On first impressions the staff appeared arrogant and unhelpful. However, after the first day, they became more available to the family needs. Certainly not a child friendly place(only one grubby, old and unsafe high chair... what if there are two children in the hotel?) no Children menu and a 2€ charge for a baby bottle milk refill!, Breakfast time was dictated by grumpy staff who were more concerned with keeping the area tidy, providing close-to-zero service to paying guests and with gold elite status!. We were not allowed to sit in a certain area of the breakfast room as the waitress did not want to clean it up afterwards for the sake of only two people. Special mention, however, to the porter, extremely Kind, helpful and polite - just what you should expect from hotel staff. After the first day, the staff mellowed and were generally hospitable. Rooms in need of TLC.

Room Tip: Ask if any rooms not on the street busy with trams.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Giuliano26874,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite member and for leaving us a feedback. I appreciate your positive feedback about the hotel location and porter. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of product. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the service you received during your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite member and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Holiday Inn (Milan) Woes

For the benefit of fellow travelers misled into staying at Holiday Inn, Milan, Garibaldi Station, Italy, I narrate my recent horrific encounters with the untrained, unhelpful, unprofessional and rude staff at the said hotel.
I am an architect who frequents Italy on job related work and happened to go there to attend the Milan fair. As luck would have it I chose to stay at Holiday Inn, Milan.
My three days at Holiday Inn couldn’t convince me that it was any pleasure, leave aside comfort, given the poor service and behaviour of the staff.
On the day of my checkout (4th day – 7.30 a.m.)) I paid a hefty amount for my stay, hardly commensurate with the facilities and service, and decided to have a quick cup of coffee in the hotel restaurant. There were barely two other guests using the restaurant facilities I noticed. Leaving my handbag on the table I chose to occupy I walked up to the counter to get myself some coffee. It took me barely two minutes to return to my table only to be left aghast that my handbag was missing. I froze with fright as realization dawned upon me that my handbag carried all my money and important documents i.e. my passport, driving license, credit cards and travelling essentials.
I immediately raised an alarm and rushed to the restaurant staff to help me and take quick measures to track down and nab the thief as he would still be in the hotel. To my utter surprise the staff turned a deaf ear to my alarm and shrugged away from taking any responsibility for it.
I then approached the hotel staff explaining my plight and requested them to resolve the issue as it was within their premises that this unfortunate incidence had taken place. Instead of providing me any assistance and assurance to resolve the issue the curt and uncouth staff washed their hands off any responsibility and merely said they couldn’t help me in the matter. On my request that they inform the police and seek their assistance they flatly expressed their inability and infact asked me to go to the police station and report it myself.
I pleaded and explained to them my plight that I was left with no money (nor air-ticket and passport) to even go to the police station but my requests landed on deaf ears.
As I had checked out and cleared all my bills the hotel’s objective it seems was already met and I was only a liability to them they feared.
Fortunately for me I had my mobile phone and could contact another visiting family who had checked out earlier than me and were about to board a train. They rushed back to the hotel and assisted me with the harrowing task of reporting the matter at a police station and getting me an emergency passport at the Indian embassy in addition to getting me a ticket back to Delhi, India.
The defunct and irresponsible staff and management at Holiday Inn chose to watch a lady in distress fend for herself but could not muster up their courage, humanity or courtesy to come forward to help. This incidence speaks very poorly of their training, customer orientation and if I could say so decency also.
If this was not enough the hotel management hasn’t had the courage to apologize or write a mail of redressal to me till date.

My recommendation – Stay Away From Holiday Inn and Moreso their unprofessional / defunct staff. You will not just lose your money on a raw deal but may also get robbed whilst in the hotel !! And with no one to take responsibility at the hotel.

Contact:
India

Mob: 9810855535

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Archna A
HolidayInnMilan, Direttore at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Mrs Archna,

I am dismayed for your comment despite the assistance and support received from my hotel staff and myself.
We fully understand the impact that this bad experience had on yourself and to your business trip to Milan and I make again my personal apologies, but I do not accept the accusations made to the staff of rudeness, irresponsibility and incompetence.

The hotel has implemented all the measure and procedure to avoid that such type of events could happen. We know that the security of our guests and their belongings are crucial. At the same time we have to realize that even if everything is kept under control and attended, unpleasant incidents could happen.

When you shouted the theft, my assistant immediately tried to give you the necessary support suggesting to block the credit cards and to go to the police, with one of our taxi, to make the report, considered that in the handbag there were also the travelling documents and the passport.

You was understandably in a state of great agitation, and refused to go to the police station and asked that the police had to come to the hotel.
We tried several times to explain you that in these cases the police doesn’t come to the hotel, but since you didn’t want see reasons, we called the police asking to intervene.
The police official has confirmed that the only way to make report was to personally go to the nearest station of police.
Bringing you back the police response, you have altered and raised the voice accusing us of incompetence and lack of understanding and courtesy.
Only after you have spoken directly with the police you decided to go to the police station with one of our taxi.
In the meantime, my assistant informed me of the incident happened to you and immediately I called the police advising them that our guest were coming to make report of a theft and that we had already identified some images of suspects people. We have provided immediately to forward them to the police.
Besides, just received your police report I have promptly forwarded to our insurance company and we have already sent you the Identification number assigned to your case.
Finally, as per your request, we put at your disposal one of our taxi to drive your friends at the train station.
I conclude by repeating that I'm sorry for what's happened to you. We can ensure you that the security of our guests during their stay is a matter of priority to guarantee a high quality of service.
Sincerely.

Gerardo Borraccino

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels

Reviewed April 19, 2014

nice location with very convenient metro and tram lines. you could get to the famous castle and Duomo very easily. the hotel is very close to a big super market, only 2 stations by tram or 7mins by foot.
but, the breakfast is lack of fresh fruit and food choice. meanwhile, the tram always makes big noise and quake when it passes by. shower water is too small for higher floor.
some staffs are very helpful and willing to help the guests to solve some very special problem. but some staffs sometimes seem impatient for some special requirement.

Room Tip: for people with sleep problem, you'd better ask for the rooms which not close to street.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Shingo,

Thank you for your stay at the Holiday Inn Milan Garibaldi and for the review about our hotel.

We are pleased that our facility and the services offered were pleasing you, as well as the location that is very appreciated because a few steps from the Garibaldi metro and train station.

We will be pass on to our colleagues all your comments and words.

Looking forward to welcome you back, to send our best regards
Roberta Picotti - Assistant Manager