“Pleasant and central in Milan”

Antica Locanda Leonardo
Ranked #103 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Denver, Colorado
“Pleasant and central in Milan”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

we really enjoyed staying at this property in Milan. the owners were wonderful. helpful and cheerful. on numerous occasions they went out of their way to assist us. the rooms were nice, some looking out on an inner garden and courtyard, others yet with a small balcony. breakfast was good, little sandwiches with meat and cheese. very Italian! coffee was very good. this property is just steps from Santa Maria della Grazie....but don't expect to just walk in and be able to see Leonardo's masterpiece. we booked our tickets three months or so in advance, and there were signs everywhere that no tickets were available. many disappointed folks. The Last Supper was surely one of the highlights of our trip to Milan...took our breath away!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank susanrn4851

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having stayed at Antica Locanda Leonardo during my visit to Milan last year, the quaint little 'boutique' B&B was my first choice this year as well.

Opting for the smallest single room at Euro 79 per night (very reasonable by Milanese standards), I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still generously sized, neat, clean and well appointed. The proprietors recognised me from my last visit when I wrote to make a reservation (always a nice touch) and were exceedingly welcoming and helpful during my brief visit this year.

Located right next door to the Santa Maria delle Grazie and within a comfortable walking distance from the Cadorna station (with a direct connection to Malpensa airport and the tube to Milano Centrale) and with the Castello Sforzesco, Brera, the more affordable shopping street of Corso Vercelli in it's near vicinity, the location itself has little to be faulted.
Although the area is rather quiet, it felt very safe (in fact last year I walked to the station alone very early in the morning without incident) and I understand that the neighbourhood is considered extremely respectable.

The continental breakfast comprising of cereal, breads, coffee, yoghurt and juice is not very lavish but I have learnt, quite typical of Italian B&Bs.
Wi-fi internet access is free and a computer in the day room is also available for use if required.

In all a faultless experience and definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank alekha
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed again here, not quite so good as a I remember it, but still good. Prefer a room on the first floor, (will be somewhat quieter). Rooms clean, overall very quiet, internet as buggy as ever (you have to stand near reception to register the device, then it will work in your room (!) Good value in a great location. Breakfast OK, but you will surely do better in the Pasticceria San Carlo, 30m away.
Car park is €28/day.
Don't eat dinner next door as recommended, (unless you like a bloke smoking with his dog in the kitchen)

Room Tip: prefer first floor to minimize ac unit noise and tram rumble
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel is in a nice area not far from the centre of town. There is a tram stop out the front and the underground is nearby. Also it is very close to the "Last Supper" which was handy for late tickets if you haven't prebooked. Also close to Science and Technology Museum which is well worth a visit.
The hotel occupies part of a residential building which is a little confusing, but we found it ok and the owner and staff were very helpful and welcoming.
The room was very clean, and charming in an old Italian way with the laquered timber furniture and old style bed. However the bathroom was very small and the shower tiny.
Given the price and location, as well as the pleasant owner and staff we would recommend this.

Room Tip: Ask if they have a room with a proper sized shower.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ManagementSydney
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The location is good, next to Santa Maria delle Grazie where "The Last Supper" of Leonardo da Vinci is displayed; the staff is very friendly and helpful; and the room is kept clean and comfortable. The hotel atmosphere is generally good. However, the rate was too high for the overall value, and the free internet was very slow often with rather weak signals. In addition, neither fruits nor vegetables were available in the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kazuo_and_Hiroko
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Milan is a city where you can pay a lot for rooms that are not particularly pleasant. My colleague and I stayed in three rooms (206, 210 and 212) during a week-long stay and paid from 245-305 euros per night for the privilege - and remember, this is a three-star hotel.

We didn't get off to a good start - the car that the hotel had organised was 30 minutes late (the driver had been stopped by the police, we were later informed!). The car cost 35 euros from Linate airport to the hotel - a normal taxi in the other direction cost 22 euros - so my advice would be don't bother ordering a car.

The first room (206) that I had was poor for the price. It was dark, part of the side of the bed fell off during the night and the temporary shower soap rack lost its grip and collapsed while I was showering. The shower (no bath) was small. So I complained and was given a better room (210). This room is lighter, has a bigger bathroom (with a bath) and nothing fell off. It is very quiet indeed - although you can feel the trams rumbling by now and again (and the odd mosquito). The hotel is at the back of a large building surrounding a courtyard with another similar building behind. You could easily miss the hotel because the entrance to the hotel is in the courtyard behind an anonymous gate.

Breakfast was OK - I'm not a great fan of the Italian obsession with sweet croissants first thing. There are packets of cheese and small toasts as well as yoghurt and marvellous coffee but give me a French or a Scandinavian breakfast anyday.

So would I go back. Probably - the location is good and the service top class and friendly. But I would be very picky about which room I stayed in. There's good antique furniture and there's bad antique furniture and Antica Locanda Leonardo has both!

Room Tip: Look at the photos on TripAdvisor and get a good one. Do a good mosquito hunt before going to bed,
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Justin_Dillon
Mario F, Responsabile reception at Antica Locanda Leonardo, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Mr. Justin

Good morning!
I hope that you had a pleasant return travel.

Thank you very much for your review about our hotel.
Our guests comments are for us very important and we consider them
like a stimulus to improve our structure and our services.

Hoping to accommodate you at the Locanda in a near future
we send our best regards.

P.S. Did you already receive your necktie which you left in your room? I hope so!!

Paolo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at Antica Locanda Leonardo for three nights in May and was very impressed by the personal touch provided by all the staff. Mario even loaned me his umbrella to battle the driving milanese rain so that I coud get to the San Siro Stadium. The Doumo is reached in about 15-20 mins by foot and you are literally on the doorstep of The Last Supper. I hope to return one day.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo