Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $34.40
from $25.20
from $65.90
More Info
All reviews cimitero monumentale buried here an open air museum jewish section sculpture garden resting place amazing sculptures peaceful place works of art could spend hours closed on mondays couple of hours worth a visit metro station last supper awe inspiring visiting milan
Reviewed 2 days ago

A massive cemetery near the subway station of Monumental. We went at 4pm and it was just starting to get dark. Loads of impressive family mausoleums and tombs. We found the Campari family tomb! The sculptures and art works are fab. 3 sections in the area - Catholic, non-Catholic and Jewish.

Reviewed 5 days ago

We didn't have time to go in but we were lucky to see it in the day and at night. It was beautifully lit at night, and is worth seeing.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I couldn’t describe this place to you if I tried. Honestly, it’s spectacular. The sheer number of stunning monuments and headstones is beyond belief...!

Reviewed 1 week ago

I must say this was one of the highlights during our trip to Milan. It´s difficult to describe what this place is like. Well it's a cemetery for sure but the grandeur, the spooky feeling and the atmosphere here is hard to beat. The cemetary is overcrowded with mausoleums, monuments, statues etc. This was also a very special moment for me personally because I brought my 4-year old daughter here and I had to explain to her what we saw before us. This resulted in a very nice conversation about life and death which became very touching for me.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Traveling as I always do in late October , the weather can help lend a sense of melancholy to anywhere. Here is lent quite a bit to a well preserved final resting place for the famous and unknown. Located above the Chinatown area of Milan this cemetery is tucked neatly away from the bustle of Milan. While lacking the decay and the crumbling and overgrown monuments that leaned so much character to bone yards like Montmatre , there is still a pervasive , gothic beauty to this place. For those people, like me, who find cemeteries both fascinating and creepy and beautiful and peaceful.....this cemetery is definitely in the top five ones in Europe that Inhabe so far discovered.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This cemetery is quite a site to behold. Has amazing structures. It is not called the "monumental" cemetery for nothing. It takes quite a bit of time to explore. Although it opens at 8:15, best to go after 9 when the office is open if you want info in English. There is also a Jewish section, like nothing I have ever seen before. Definitely recommend. Leave at least an hour for a visit. If you can plan in advance they are supposed to have guided tours available. Met the director. She was very nice and quite helpful.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We first turned up on a Monday and were disappointed to find it all locked up.

We returned another day and to be honest after spending a couple of hours walking round I wished we had had a whole day here. There are so many staggeringly beautiful monumental sculptures here, it is incredible. Do not be put off visiting this cemetery, it is fascinating and heartwarming to see how people are remembered by their loved ones.

1  Thank NorthernHeatseeker
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Visited here on our recent visit. Totally amazed by the whole site and the artefacts around the site.
Well worth a visit

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Monumental Cemetery is just north of the city center and easily accessible on foot or with the tram. Entrance is free. It is an architectural marvel and worth visiting more for the mausoleums than for the people buried there. That said, two graves worth seeing are those of Manzoni who wrote I Promessi Sposi, a classic of Italian literature, and the family tomb of Arturo Toscanini, where his son-in-law, Vladimir Horowitz, is also buried. There is a substantial Jewish section in the cemetery. All of these are fairly close to the entrance of this sprawling space.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

worth a visit to see the incredible size of some of these tombs. Not in my Top10 though. Easily accessible with the tube