“Skip this place....watch out for Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde at the desk”
Review of Hotel New Milan

Hotel New Milan
Ranked #391 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Richmond, California
“Skip this place....watch out for Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde at the desk”
Reviewed April 7, 2010

It was trouble from the beginning. We reserved a room at this hotel for the first Easter weekend on the hotel's website. We printed out the confirmation that that hotel sent us by email and arrived to check in. The desk clerk couldn't find our reservation and told us that we lied about reserving a room. He was the rudest clerk I've ever experienced (Mr. Hyde). Every hotel messes up a reservation, we're all human. His helping us consisted of him shuffling some papers on his desk and refusing to look up the reservation that we booked on the hotel's own site! He was rude, disrespectful and he finally told us that we were out of luck and that no other hotels would have any rooms. Later during this debacle the owner showed up and she acted just as clueless. He had printed out a couple of reservations from other websites and he stated that if our names weren't in the pile, we lied about booking a room. Who forges hotel reservations for a one star hotel? He finally told us that there was one room available, the smallest one in the hotel, and that he would charge us 50-EUR. When I mentioned to him that other patrons were paying less for bigger rooms and that the price that we orginally booked on his site was less that his quote he said that since we didn't have a reservation he could charge us anything that he wanted. We argued again about having a reservation and show him the confirmation again but we got nowhere. Since it was 10 at night and we had to fly at 6am we took the room. As we were checking in, I mentioned that I was going to write a scathing review on tripadvisor and other forums, and then something happened-the rude check in clerk became the nicest guy in the world (Dr. Jeckyll). He brought out the map of Milan, two towels for us, and he offered nothing but kind words from then on. He went from (--) to our best friend in 10 seconds. Very weird. Now that I'm done complaining here is the skinny on the room. The rooms are clean, very very basic, shared bathrooms and the hotel is near the main shopping street. If you HAVE to stay there confirm your reservation by phone BEFORE you arrive. All I ask when I stay at a place is that the room is clean and the staff are respectful ( I don't even require friendly). One out of two doesn't cut it for me.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JayBeeCA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Slovak first
Germany
Reviewed March 21, 2007

I did not like this hotel at all, and I would never go there again; however, I might admit that it was more or less clean [everywhere, there was a strong (bad) smell of washing powder and cleaning agent...]; and I have to admit that it is cheap, and that the hotel staff even offered me a tourist map, and wished me a good night -- which was nice, at least. I would not say that they welcomed me warmly… they just gave me the key of my room. When I compare it to other budget hotels I visited during my short holidays in Italy, the New Milan was just awful.
The only night I spent there was terrible: very noisy from the street where busses, the tram and many cars are coming back and fourth the whole night; and an ever ringing bell of the hotel which is to be used to get in. The last guests were arriving at 4a.m., you could even hear from your bed how they were talking to the doorman. I also didn't feel at ease with some of the guests --- apparently some (or most?) of them were not just tourists.
There is a washbasin in the room; and you’ll need it, because the shower which is to be used by the guests of four rooms is quite odd; the toilette, however, is tolerable, which means that it is at least clean.
The whole area might be well connected by the subway and the tram+bus; however, it is definitely not an area for a woman alone to go at night!
I’ve been travelling a lot and in many different countries; this hotel was one of my worst experiences --- I suppose because of the noise, the smell, and a kind of weird feeling… I would definitely not recommend the hotel if you would like to have a pleasant stay.

• Liked — an espresso machine which I have not used (don't know even if I would have been allowed to use it)
  • Disliked — the noise, the smell, the weird feeling I got
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank voyager_seule

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels