“Perfect location, friendly staff”
Review of Gran Duca di York

Gran Duca di York
Ranked #9 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gran Duca di York for 3 nights before we travelled to Tuscany for a family vacation. The hotel is perfectly located near the Duomo and other tourist locations, but it is on a very quiet street. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast perfect. The room was very clean and quiet, although a little small, and the ac worked well. There is a small bar with limited room service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very close to the Duomo, easy to find as it is just behind the Leonardo da Vinci museum. Very friendly staff, they spoke all good English and all my questions were rewarded with lots of useful information. The hotel is in a small street located, therefore no noise and very quiet.

I booked a small single room for myself, as it was indicated it was small like I expected but the bed was bigger than I assumed it would be. Bed was very comfortable, airco was always good working, not only when you enter the room. I asked for a quiet room and that I certainly had, the disadvantage is no view but did not bother me. I was not there to spend much time in my room anyway. Not sure if there are English channels on the tv, not really checked it.

Bathroom was very clean with every day fresh towels. Soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc provided. The rooms are exactly how they look on the picture. You get what you pay for.

Not much choice for breakfast but what was there was good. 3 hot dishes: eggs, bacon and sausage. Cold: ham, 3 different cheese, yogurt, fresh fruit, 3 types of cornflakes, different kind of crackers, 5 type of bread and sandwiches. Orange and pineapple juice, coffee and thee.

Minibar was free of charge and the drinks in the bar were very reasonable priced.
I looked for hotels (every day more than 2 weeks!) but I am sure I have found the best one in this price rate in the middle of the city! For sure, I would book this hotel again when I go next time to Milan!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Ann R
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our first visit to Milan. I visited with my 16 year old daughter. I chose this hotel due to the reviews and was not disappointed. Perfectly positioned for sights, shopping and restaurants. We felt very safe in the area even late in the evening. The staff were extremely friendly at all times of the day. Hotel room was small but well decorated and very comfortable. Breakfast provided a good spread. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Milan. Loved Milan as a city break.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WARBENN
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Friendly, clean and good value hotel in Milan in an unbeatable location. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the room was clean with great bathroom products and breakfast was delicious. Despite it being so central, the hotel was tranquil and quiet. Would stay again next time we're in Milan without any hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank captainfranky
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for a couple of days in Milano (I had never been there). Thishotel was the perfect place to explore the city. It is only a few minutes by foot to the Duomo, rigght around the corner of the Biblioteca Ambrosiana, and close to the main shopping areas in downtown Milan.

The hotel is not large, and probably because of that radiates a very personal atmosphere. A good breakfast tht features a few local specialties is included; internet as well as drinks in thefridge in the room are free.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Renato Z
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were there for 2 nights and found it to be the perfect location for us. It was central yet just off the busy streets enough to be a peaceful refuge after a busy day of sightseeing. The worst criticism I can think of was there were no rooms that could fit a family of 4, so we had to take 2 rooms. Naturally, this had it's benefits and drawbacks; peaceful for Mom and Dad, but it increased the cost for a family stay.

The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating while maintaining genuine pleasant and interesting personalities.

The breakfast room is actually nicer than what one sees in the photos. A filling breakfast is served and a good start to your day.

The rooms were clean and modern, simple, but well appointed. A minor repair was needed on one wall, but this was very minor and not of concern. (One has to find something to say when reviewing,... Doesn't one...)

All in. All, a great place to stay in Milan.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at Gran Duca Di York for 3 nights beginnin of February this year during the first leg of our Europe trip and it was a very pleasant experience. Here is a little summary of what we thought about the hotel:

What we liked:
1. Location - extremely central, we walked everywhere. Easy access to public transports such as the tram and the metro. Shopping opportunities such as the Galeria Vittoria Emanuele II, The Excelsior, La Rinascente as well as Duomo are only 5 minutes walk away and there is this nice little restaurant Nerino Dieci Trattoria Via Nerino just down the road. Peck, almost like a fancy corner shop is a few minutes walk from the hotel towards Duomo. It sells all kind of high end Italian delicacies. Amazing coffee and snacks.
2. Staffs - very professional. Alberto who helped booked our tickets to The Last Supper and some of our dinner reservations, was particularly friendly and helpful.
3. Room & bathroom - we had a special room with a balcony which was lovely on sunny days, despite the cold. Our room was comfy, very clean, simply decorated if a little small (in central Milan, at this rate, kind of expected really). Comfortable bed and pillows. Bathroom was newly refurbished, modern WC, very clean and decent size.
4. Free Wifi - reliable and stable through out the entire hotel.
6. Good breakfast - great reasonable assortment of hot and cold dishes, fresh fruit and drinks.

Overall verdict: Nice business hotel. Nothing to complain really. Fantastic location. Very quiet, well maintained and clean. Excellent value. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony, which makes up for the size of the room.