“Hotel Albert, Three Star Hotel?--NOT”
Review of Albert Hotel

Albert Hotel
Ranked #246 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I somehow booked a room in the Hotel Albert near Stazione Centrale, Milan in error, confusing it with the much, much nicer Hotel Aosta, also near the central train station, and where we'd had a lovely two-day stay last year. Okay, I admit it, I dropped the ball. My bad. But, hey, both hotel names started with the letter "A," and, yes, I might have had one glass of Chardonnay too many whilst making the reservation.

Nevertheless, the Albert is, let's face it, kind of threadbare and grungy. It's not horrible, not a nightmare, but just kind of barely there in terms of decor and amenities, save for free Wi-Fi. The queen mattress was one or two cuts above flophouse, and the sponge pillows anything but sumptuous. If your spouse snores, you will not be able to fashion a sound-proof taco with one of these jobbbers as you might with a less unyielding bean bun. Our first floor room (go for a top floor is you must, must stay here--thus avoiding some of the traffic noise) was stuffy and wafted the essence of cleaning solutions.

Backing up a bit, (sorry for the lack of chronology) we were registered by a taciturn, aloof, basically unfriendly fellow, with the people skills of a grave digger. To be fair, the morning desk attendant was much nicer, and actually quite helpful.

But here, fellow travelers, is the emblem of this hotel's general sub-mediocrity: the coffee served at the otherwise acceptable breakfast buffet was THE WORST IN THE WORLD. I mean it. The WORST. It seemed to have been wrung out of a sweat sock. To make things worse, it was served TEPID, two days in a row! In my opinion, a weary wayfarer deserves at least a tasty jolt of java to start his or her day.

In sum, if you want an updated, comfortable hotel, choose the Aosta on the other side of the train station. Get a top floor room, (or any room, for that matter) and be assured of a quiet, restful night. The price is nearly identical to the Albert's, so why not choose the better hotel? The Hotel Albert does NOT deserve three stars. It's a very dodgy one star, in my opinion, especially compared to its competition across the way.

Room Tip: The best room in the Albert Hotel is on the other side of the train station at the Hotel Aosta.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wmhallberg

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

The location next to the train station was perfect as we had a lot of luggage. The room was basic but clean. Wi-fi useless and the bed a bit soft. But great breakfast and a good restaurant just across the road. Suited us fine and was a better option than another hotel we used near the station last time we visited Milan.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank wendy h
perledo, Direttore at Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank You very much!
We hope to have you here again your next time in Milan!
Albert's staff

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Hotel Albert is in a very good Milan location. Overlooking the station it could not be more convenient for train travellers. What is less convenient is the apparent cost-cutting around the hotel's facilities. Carpets, doors and room fit-outs generally lack the quality that you might expect. During our stay we wanted a bit of ventilation in the room. The air conditioning did not work but the heater and fan did - resulting in a very warm room after 15 minutes. Opening the window worked but street noise forced us to close it again. After enquiring about room ventilation we learned that the hotel either had heating or airconditioning - not both, and as winter was approaching it had to be heating. Which to us seemed like code for cost cutting. Don't expect a gourmet breakfast either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roger C

Dear Sir,
in Milan and generally in Italy, the system is air -conditioning OR heating, not both together.
Heating is from 15th october to 15 of april and only the major of the city can change these terms.
I am sorry but, if you wished to have a better room, you could ask for another one.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Despite advertising free wifi it was non-existent. Access to Internet is one of the most important issues to me when travelling. Forget about the bidet - I know how to use wifi! Outrageous price at $700 for 3 nights, cashing in on the hotel shortage due to the Grand Prix ( which I was unaware of). Staff (girl on reception) was ridiculously inefficient. Almost annoyed that I had to come back down for the Internet password ( which was a waste of time as it turned out) and again for the key for the safe. The shower recess was almost inaccessible to the "traditionally built", but the bed was reasonably comfortable and not noisy. Breakfast was typically Italian, I.e awful. At best a two star hotel in a very dodgy neighbourhood, only for staying overnight on your way elsewhere. Not to be recommended. Only advantage was closeness to the station and easy access to the city, but god only knows why anyone wants to go to Milan.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
perledo, Direttore at Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Very sorry you didn't like Milan and our hotel. All the staff remember you and your wife and all the informations given to you about many and many things to see and to do in our town.
I apologize for Wi-Fi troubles. Italian breakfast buffet is not awful at all, may be only different from what you have at home. Breakfast, safe, and Wi-Fi are included in rate room.
When you were in Milan there were not only the Grand Prix but also one of the main fair of the year and a very important international medical congress. Obviously rates were higher than usually, but our rates were lower than those of the most part of 3 stars hotels in the city.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Overall experience was terrible. This is my last night here, and I have hated it so much I am wasting my evening writing a review right now.
The reception staff are useless and unhelpful.
The rooms are cheap and ordinary.
Conveniently located near the station, however with that comes the type of people that loiter around train stations. NOT SAFE AT NIGHT.
They advertise wifi, however this is useless as it doesnt work throughout the whole hotel.

I have nothing nice to say about this hotel other than the clear is a lovely lady.

I notice there are some good reviews on this hotel. I can not believe any normal person would have written them.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
perledo, Direttore at Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear Sir, I am really so sorry you didn't like your staying at Albert's, but If you had told us, we could have change your accomodation to another better one. In any case I want to punctualize that photos and images you found on the web are exactly what you found here.
It happens sometimes that WI-Fi system has troubles, but you wrote your bad report on Albert Hotel in Albert Hotel so it was working!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were in Milan overnight and stayed at the Albert because of the location to train station.The reviews I had read before booking were right about the shower- it was very small but the room was clean and comfortable.Milan itself was very dull and the street area was messy because they are doing up the train station.The street had a creepy feeling and I wouldn't be walking around at night.We went around the corner to the bar to have a drink in the afternoon and it was great,they gave us a tray of snacks (cheese and salami and chips) and were very friendly.We had an early dinner there homemade pasta and very reasonable.Best part of Milan. Overall, hotel close to train and cheap enough for overnight stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A last minute booking led us to this hotel. It's near the train station - only a 2 or 3 minute walk. The hotel has a lift and a nice bar. The rom was spacious with a big window, good lighting and a decent tv with a good range of channels. The bed was a bit uncomfortable - too hard for my liking. The bathroom was decent with a nice warm, powerful shower. The wifi in the room was unbelievably slow and we gave up on it after gmail took nearly 10 minutes to load! Breakfast was included and was a decent offering with a good selection of the usual tea/coffee, orange juice, toast, jam, eggs, cakes, yoghurts, croissants etc. My main complaint about the hotel was that it was showing, and more importantly, smelling it's age. There was a musty smell throughout the hotel which we managed to get out of the room through using the air conditioning and opening the window but it was a litttle unpleasant. I think this hotel was maybe once a grand place but has seen better times although if you can get a low price like we did it can still be a bargain if you're on a low budget.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple