“Different answer on the same question”
Review of Hotel Bolzano

Hotel Bolzano
Ranked #310 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Pirdop, Bulgaria
“Different answer on the same question”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was having a bad experience with this hotel from the beginning. I was trying to book a room for 3 nights, as I don't have a credit card but have debit card connected with paypal I wrote a mail asking if I could pay with paypal. First they told me I can so I send a new e-mail asking for details, a few minutes later I was told that I could not pay with paypal and should make a bank transfer. OK, I asked them for bank details and they gave me just IBAN and BIC. In the bank they told me that I need Bank name and address to send the money so I wrote new mail asking about the name and address ... and .... they gave me different IBAN, BIC and Bank. I get really nervous and gave up from this hotel, on two identical questions get two different answers and in every mail advising me to give different credit card number and exp date. I really prefer paypal as a more secure payment method and don't want credit card.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hebden Bridge
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Given a good welcome at the Bolzano which is very handy for the Central Station - and not too bad for Garibaldi station had it not been for all the building works on the way there!
Very dated interior, but clean and tidy. The breakfats was one of the best we had with all sorts on offer. A good stopover!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed in Bolzano hotel twice - overnight on the way to Dolomites and back.
Very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was really good (pleasant surprize - it's included in room rate!) with variety of croissants, bakery, jogurt, fruits, ham, cornflakes and fresh coffee - you can choose cappuccino/americano/espresso - up to you!
Train station Milano Centrale (and metro station) is just 5 minutes walk, main shopping street Corsa Buenos Aires - not more than 10 minutes walk away.
Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. Do not forget to ask them about good restaurant nearby - they will recommend really nice place with reasonable price!
Highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: Some standard rooms have a balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank T_traveller_9
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Few minutes from Stazione Centrale (Central Station in Milano), big room and bathroom, very clean, very good bed, silent, breakfast average (hot coffee, tea, boiled eggs, croissants and some sweets). Staff was very helpful and nice. If we will need again a hotel close to the Station we will chose it again.

Room Tip: arrange in advance the internet into your room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Hotel Bolzaano is a pleasant place to stay on a quiet street near the Milano Centrale station. The decor is very modern so don't expect an old classic building or decor. What this hotel has to offer is a good nights sleep and a good location if you need to catch an early train or if you have heavy bags which you don't want to lug around. Everything about this hotel is OK. Nothing stands out as exceptional. The breakfast is an extra 5 Euros which might be a good deal but we didn't take advantage of it. The downstairs computer is available for short forays onto the internet which was OK for us. There is a large TV downstairs also. The room and bathroom were acceptable in size and cleanliness. The price was the best we found given the constraint of being near the station. So choose Bolzano for the price and don't complain that the add ons cost money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bassman46
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Let's start from the staff.Very kind and friendly,willing to help, from the first second I set foot in the hotel.U can also enjoy a delicious breakfast with add+5€, including croissants,yoghurts(choose the pineaple one :p) linzer torte,cereals,milk,Aaand ofc,COFFEE! (And much more that I don't remember)The room was just great,spacious,chic,recent redesign, and clean! Excellent bathroom,and an ultra-unbelievable giant shower :X
Tv was in room as well,so does a money-safety box.
Only thing i was really mad about the hotel is that I had to pay 5€ for 24-hour wifi use,then repeat. It was my only problem but everything else was just perfect so I did enjoyed my stay,should definitely go there dear travellers!
Ciao Milano,will be back soon <:

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Summary
- bed linen was stained with sticky clear substance and not changed for 3 nights
- guests covered with bites
- hotel rooms infested with mosquitoes due to maids opening windows during cleaning
- AC did not work during hot nights even tho hotel advertised that it had AC
- hotel room filled with sickly sweet vomit scent due to cheap scented oil diffusers
- cleanliness of cups and cutlery at breakfast questionable
- passable breakfast
- miserable middle-aged Chinese woman serving bitter, low-quality capuccinos
- surly Chinese staff / owners...
- unknowledgeable staff

Sticky Pillow Stains and No Linen Change for 3 Nights

When I arrived, the sheets seemed pretty clean. But the next night, I was surprised to see that when the maid changed the linen, the new pillow case was soiled. It was stained with mascara in 2 different places. I understand that it might be hard to get mascara out but there were also a few clear shiny stains on the pillow. Surely the hotel would spend a few extra euros and use a bit of bleach and/or hot water? THEN....for the next 3 nights, the MAID NEVER CHANGED THE SHEETS. How do I know this? Because the same pillow stains were still there night after night.

Sickly Swet Vomit Scent

On top of this, I noticed each time I came back to the room after a day out, the room would be full of a putrid, sickly sweet smell.

After some speculation, I deduced that the maid filled up the scented oil diffuser container (with the sticks) in the bathroom with cheap smelly stuff, and that they probably never dumped the old stuff out - just kept refilling it. Oh and if you don't mind a hotel where the maids don't clean the toilet in 4 days, then, this is the place for you.

Bitten by Mosquitoes...and What Else?

Enjoy being eaten alive by mosquitoes? I saw the maid open up the windows to the rooms as she cleaned them during the day probably because the AC did not work during the sweltering weather. As a result, each time you came back to your room, it was hot and humid, stinky, and full of mosquitoes to make your night that much more comfortable. I saw people at the hotel that were bitten all over. I got bitten on my eye and fingers. Oh, and if you were scared of bed bugs. Well, you can't really know for sure what bit you because of the mosquitoes.

Waking up to an Unhappy Chinese Woman for Breakfast

As for the breakfast, if you aren't put off by a miserable-looking middle-aged Chinese woman glaring at you in the morning, scrutinizing guests intently and following them until she gets their room number to make sure you're not scamming her hotel, then this is the place for you. Need a real capuccino or espresso? Well don't expect real Italian coffee here. Expect it quick, bitter and lipstick flavoured. I asked for a cup of hot water and oddly, she ran a tiny portion of the rim of the cup under hot water. From that moment on, I never touched any cup from that hotel with my lips because I got the feeling they don't place a high priority on cleanliness at all. I asked a few more mornings for the same thing - a cup of hot water and finally, she gave me a point blank look and didn't bother making a show of running part of the cup's rim under the water. Needless to say, I ate very little at these breakfasts. I used the hot water to sanitize the cutlery btw.

Rude Service

The maid was rude. The receptionists lied to me on numerous occasions and were also rude. They knew nothing about international calling codes.

One of their lies is that they claimed that no one else complained about the lack of AC. They tried to make me feel bad by saying that I was the only person complaining. But based on the comments from others on the forum about this hotel I see that that was not the case.

If you expect a bit of Italian hospitality then this is not the place for you. Everyone working at the desk seemed miserable to be working there - from the surly Chinese maid with the big mole on her face - to the breakfast lady/perhaps the owner? to the Italians at the desk.

I stayed because they refused to refund me my money. Complaining will not help once they have your money. If you have ever dealt with Chinese businesses and people, you know better than to complain as they cannot stand to lose face or admit they are wrong or have done wrong. And they never give your money back.

If you are considering this hotel, especially if you are Chinese or Asian-looking, don't expect any special treatment. Chinese people treat you worse if you're Asian and slightly worse than the caucasians because they think your standards are lower and they think they can get away with it. I would not go back to Hotel Bolzano.

But I would recommend Hotel Cristallo. See my review on that hotel. Good luck!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels