“Great location with excellent service.”
Review of Hotel Sanpi Milano

Hotel Sanpi Milano
Ranked #43 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and found the hotel to be ideally placed for exploring the city on foot, (Duomo is 15-20 mins away), and for quickly accessing the main road out of the city to my business destination.
The hotel reception is staffed by extremely helpful people, fluent in English, and always ready and able to assist guests.
My room was very comfortable, with air conditioning and free wifi. However the shower is tiny and the hot water takes a long time to flow after switching on the tap. Furthermore I was disturbed in the early hours of my first night's stay by the noise of a refuse truck in the street outside the hotel.
I only stayed for breakfast which provided an ample choice of traditional Italian, fresh fruit and cereals. The hotel's location means that there is lots of choice of restaurants within a 10 mins walk.
Car parking is handled by a local service provider who will collect your car from the hotel and deliver it back with just a few minutes notice. I paid about €30 for this service over my two day stay.
I would happily stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front of the hotel, and thus the street, won't be subject to the same level...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

First night in Italy and we found this place on hotels.com and then looked them up on tripadvisor to find some good reviews so we went for it. Not too bad of location, not to far of a walk to city center but a little sketchy in the surrounding blocks...wonderful little place to eat just down the street, il carpaccio! Would stay here again if ever I'm in Milan.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was located just a block away from great and affordable shopping on Buenos Aires street. A short 20 minute walk gets you to the duomo and the central piazza. We stayed at several hotels in Rome, Verona, and Milan - this one was our favorite by far. Breakfast was nice and simple with hard boiled eggs, croissants, salami, coffee/cappuccino, and fruit. Service was the best I've experienced all over Italy with a very helpful and friendly staff. There is a beautiful garden patio where you can order drinks and appetizers - very romantic and good to take a load off after a long day of walking. I will most definitely stay here again and I highly recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had 2 nights here, the location is good. It has a lovely courtyard to enjoy a coffee or drink in the afternoon, the staff were very helpful. The rooms were clean and spacious for a European hotel, and there is a Gym to use in the old wine cellar. Across the road is a fantastic authentic Italian restaurant we would recommend anyone to go to with good service and friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel was fine, but nothing amazing.
The breakfast was a bit booring, but bonus points to the waiter who took his time to make us a decent espresso.
The biggest sellingpoint is the short distance to the city center.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
troisi, Manager at Hotel Sanpi Milano, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

dear Mrs Grethe,
thank you so much for your stay in our hotel and your comment s , We are alway happy to share comment specialy if those are true with all our guests.
My team and myself we relly thank you for the vote you gave us for the service , the location and the clean and the service offered.
Regarding the breakfast room color that you find Boring we are thinking to change some color with more light on it , however you should think about our brekfast room the " link " to our outside green garden that I'm sure you have used during your stay for relax or for any drinks.
Suggestions are always welcome , our interior design is working on it.

Looking forward to see you soon again in Milan , I wish you a nice day

mauro Troisi

hotel manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our second stay in Milan having previously spent 3 nights at another hotel in the historical centre and taken a few days off to visit Verona. There are some positives about the hotel but unfortunately also enough negatives that we need to mention both on this forum.

Positives:

- Good location (3 tube stops to the historical centre, the tube stop being no more than 5 minutes' walk away). Having said that there are hotels just as good right in the middle of the historical centre so if you have the choice stay closer to the Duomo. In addition it is only 15 mins to the main rail station, which is very convenient for trips out and also useful for the main hub for coach transfers to the airports. Some other reviewers have noted that the area can feel a little unsafe towards the end of the day. We had the same feeling on our first day there, mainly because the street in which the hotel is located is lined by dozens of young people hanging around, looking idle etc. In reality the street seems to be a meeting point for youth of north and north east African origin and other neighbouring countries, and though there are a lot of them hanging around the Eritrean bar facing the hotel, they are not actually menacing in any way. They are just hanging around, so you will be safe.

- Rooms are clean and well appointed. Beds are comfortable and the linen of good quality.

- Staff is friendly and making an effort to please.

- Bar prices are very affordable compared to those in the town centre and there was a good range on offer; they were also generous with the nibbles that accompanied the drinks.

- Our bathroom was tiny. If you allow for the swing of the door, there was actually less than 1 m2 of space available in total. However it had everything you needed (including some of the best toiletries we have had in a Milan hotel. Also the shower was not leaking onto the floor (as is the case in many hotels. One guest commented on the fact that the shower has little power and this is kind of true but to be honest it does the job.

Negatives

- The hotel is described on various websites as a boutique hotel. It isn't. It is basically a normal hotel. It does have a nice courtyard but you won't be using it much. The room decorations are pretty standard (in fact much the same as the other hotel we went to in the historical centre, so don't be taken in by any claims made about the decoration. At the end of the day, you won't really care if all the rooms are unique since the only one that will matter is that in which you are sleeping.

- We had a normal room, which was pretty small. Basically you could just about fit a King size bed and that’s it. Most other hotels upgrade you whenever they can; this one didn’t, despite not being full. We were not after an upgrade at all, but this denotes a certain lack of customer focus. For the same price, you can get much larger rooms even in the historical centre.

- The hotel also boasts that it has a restaurant (in fact the literature inside the hotel refers to it as a ‘stylish restaurant’). This was one of the reasons why we though we would try this hotel. There is in act no real restaurant. What there is basically a slightly dingy breakfast room in which you can eat if you want a snack. The menu is very simplistic; it also has the odd feature of having frozen pasta dishes on the menu (in Italy, would you really want frozen spaghetti Bolognese or lasagna?) The carte says that it is to ensure the freshest quality but we all know that it is really because they don't actually have much in terms of cooking facilities so that way, you just get a microwave job or a boil in the bag job, which is much easier for them to deal with).

- On arrival, the check-in manager told us he had placed us in a room at the back, facing the garden, so that we would not get the noise from the street. This was very kind of him … until we realised that we didn’t have a view on the garden at all. Instead our room faced what can be best described at the back of a council or low-rent housing estate – I have also uploaded a picture so tripadivsor readers can judge for themselves. We mentioned this to the receptionist straight away and he denied having said it was facing the garden (deny all you want, we know what we heard…). He did offer to move us but to be honest we couldn’t be bothered to repack all our stuff. By itself that doesn’t really matter, we were not intending to gaze through the window all day long but that is another one of those exaggerations.

- Similarly to a comment made by a previous reviewer, the air conditioning in on the weak side. It does blow some coldish air but I suspect that if it had been sunnier than it was when we were there it would really have struggled. We saw that the manager responded to the previous reviewer that the setting could be adjusted manually. Of course, we did just that and set it on its maximum fan setting and lowest temperature. The rooms was colder than it would have been without it but those manual settings don't make any different whatsoever. Consequently it was quite warm during the night and hard to get to sleep. We also woke up sweating several times.

- The breakfast room is depressing. The picture on their website makes it look very airy and luminous but it is actually pretty dark and old fashioned. I have uploaded my own picture of it (in fact most of their pictures on the website are taken with wide angle and fish eye lenses so you really don’t get the proper picture!)

- The breakfast is not actually that great. The cheese and breads were nice but we found it a bit cheap to serve prosciutto ham (which is basically normal ham – really) out of a packet, still sweating. It would have been nice to have something a bit more upmarket such as Parma ham. Similarly, there are many areas which could be improved:

(i) a previous reviewer commented that the fruit juices were cheap. He was right. The orange juice was actually vile (and I am being nice since it was very acidic and tasted nothing like any orange juice I ever tasted) and the carrot/orange/lemon juice was so chemical-tasting that we could not recognise any of the ingredients. The manager has already commented on that point, saying that he invited Nestle – who provide the juiced – to carry out a quality check. Surprise surprise they said it was all fine. I would invite the manager to taste the juices himself. The orange juice didn’t even look orange, but grey. I suspect it that as well as being cheap, is left lying around (at breakfast there is nothing to keep it cool) and it just oxydises.

(ii) the pastries, allegedly fresh, were stale. I know that the manager will argue they are fresh but they are not. And if he thinks they are, then he is being swindled by his provider.

(iii) previous reviewers also commented on the lack of eggs on the buffet. Scrambled eggs are now almost a given on any breakfast buffet. The hotel only provides hard boiled eggs (which is fine until you open one and realise how grey it looks inside through overcooking) – mainly because there is no space on the table for heating facilities. So instead you can have omelettes for an extra fee. The manager mentioned it was a small fee, but believe me it isn’t small.

(iv) there are a lot of waiters making a lot of noise (ie serving or busy taking with one another, as a result of which it is hard to relax during breakfast. On our second day, a suited manager turned up in the room, and suddenly they all stopped talking and got on with it. Perhaps a few more surprise visits (and an orange juice tasting session) would be of benefit.

1  Thank OYP-London
troisi, General Manager at Hotel Sanpi Milano, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Mr OYP London ,

( for Me you are Mr P.O. and Mr P.D.)

I would like to thank you so much for your stay in our hotel Sanpi Milano from August 27th to August 29th for two days in our room 114 on the first floor , reservation booked and pay via an important tour operator partner.

At the same time I’m so pleased to thank you personally for all the time , the effort and the attention you gave us in order to write the review into the tripadvisor.com , I ‘ m so impressed about all details mentioned , great it seems you work for the same business or something related to it.

I have read your review very carefully yesterday and today I have shared it with my whole team , we were talking about it in our Internal meeting in order to improve our service.

Analyzing what you have mentioned it seems you have been positive impressed by location , hotel staff attention , prices and room comfort , the general vote is : ‘ AVERAGE ‘ but you gave us ‘Very Good ‘ for the cleanness and for the staff service . THANK YOU .
Regarding the negative points you have mentioned , I can provide you a full details answers however before I start answering is better than I start with one simply sentence : I really personal apologize for it .

I have read it the web site you have used for your reservation and our hotels and I’m so sorry to say that we describe our hotel like this “Boutique hotel or life style hotel “ since many years and the people mostly appreciated it however we will make some change in it soon .
We describe boutique because all our rooms are different each other; regarding the restaurant we have a restaurant were we serve breakfast every day and light lunch for business meeting (if any ) , however during the whole day we have in house garden where clients can drink very good wine at reasonable price plus some food (mainly fresh but some are frozen and well marked on the menu ) we call it “light restaurant”. However the area is full of many different restaurant able to provide our clients all kinds of cuisine : Italian , International , Chinese , vegetarian, Brazilian , Argentinian, Pizzeria , sushi , and many more, our concierge team is able to book and arrange a table at less than 50 meters walking . (you have used my favorite one Carpaccio )
Regarding the room you had room 114 is a room facing the courtyard , however many other rooms are facing the garden or the main street , my team propose you a better room garden view however it was to late and you denied , sorry, In case you accept it we would be glad to do it for you, however we full understand your decisions . For the air conditions system during your stay we didn’t get any report from you for it.
In order to answer you for “depressing breakfast room “ I take note of it and we I will talk with our interior design , however for the breakfast pictures we have the same picture in the web site (no wide angle), for the food quality present on the breakfast I prefer to not write it again what you have read it already for some other review, I know what we are serving , I’m sure about our quality , however some thinks can be improved like orange juice or boiled eggs time cooking , the meeting with Nestle’ sales manager area is not a story but is true , we meet him again today afternoon , tomorrow all our guests will have a better orange juice. For the fresh croissants , cakes and bread we serve I’m pleased to share with you the full address of our very local provider who is only 500 meters far away open to public who can be used by every one , the name is : Le Cose Buone –via Nino bixio 11- Milano Mrs and Mr Pizzocchero.
Regarding last point , the noise and the surprise visit I should do every day to the restaurant I have well take note of it , I do it but but I will make it more often , for the two restaurant assistants who were talking next to your table on August 29 I have also write them a formal letter .
Dear Mr OYP London I really apologize again for it , please take well note of my name and email address , in case you come again in Milan please contact me personally I will be more than happy to share with both of you Mr P.O . and Mr P.D. some time around the hotel .
Looking forward to see you soon again , I wish you a nice day.

Mauro Troisi
Hotel Sanpi Milano
Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our last night in Italy and our stay was delightful. Our room was spacious spotlessly clean and bed comfortable. The service was very good and the breakfast was included. There is a quaint courtyard to enjoy a drink. A fabulous authentic Italian restaurant across the road.

Room Tip: Our room was a quiet room overlooking the courtyard
1  Thank Carolyn B