“Excellent Bar, Beer, and Service”

BQ Birra Artigianale di Qualita
Ranked #2,596 of 8,234 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Rock Cave, West Virginia
“Excellent Bar, Beer, and Service”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

There are five different locations in Milan, Italy and I decided to go to the one at Via Losanna 36 because it was closest to my hotel and with 24 taps and 200 different bottles it had the largest selection of beer. We got there early by Italian standards at a bit after 7p.m. and no one was in the bar besides two people working there. Neither of them were able to speak English and since neither of us could speak Italian our communication was limited but the waitress was extremely accommodating in translating and explaining beer and food to us using her smartphone. Most of their draft beers were 5 euro for 40cl which I felt was reasonably priced. I ordered a blue cheese burger with mushrooms and onions on it for 9 euro and my wife ordered a plate of fries for 3.50. There weren't many vegetarian options on the menu for her. We ordered a couple of draft beers to enjoy while we waited for the food. The beer was delicious and the room was filled with rock and pop hits of the last several decades.

I was slightly intimidated by the size of my burger when it arrived! I was a little hesitant to even order a burger in the first place because I often feel burgers are something that most restaurants outside of the U.S. don't really know how to do. I couldn't have been more wrong in this case. The beef was fresh and it combined overwhelmingly well with the messy wonder of blue cheese, mushrooms, and onions. It was hard to bite into it because it was so big but it was definitely worth the struggle! I tried a couple of my wife's fries and they were also really good.

We ordered another 40cl beer and a tasting tray. The tasting tray was 4 euro for 3 glasses of 10cl beer but all of the beers we received had way more than 10cl possibly because they were served in 25cl glasses. We talked and savored our drinks. One aspect of the bar which was interesting was that some of their beers were named after famous people from history such as Genghis Khan, Tutankhamon, Cleopatra, and Attila. There were some other interesting names such as Gasoline Super and Mahogany. The bottle selection was fairly impressive with beers from Italy, Germany, Belgium, the U.K., and the U.S. I think there is something here to interest any beer lover.

During the course of our time there a few people showed up and left but overall it was pretty empty the whole time. It isn't a very large bar and I'm not sure if it could hold much more than 50 people. I had a great time and I would definitely recommend stopping by one of the BQ bars if you are ever in Milan!
I liked everyone of the BQ drafts I tried - Mahogany, Zingibeer, Valchiria (which was my favorite), Cleopatra, Gasoline Super, and Genghis Khan.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank songoftheeclipse

australians in europe
“"best bar in milano? best bar in italy?"”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

ok, i know that sounds like hyperbole, but this place is magic... 100s of bottled beers, 16 or so kegs across the front of the L-shaped bar... and 4 handpulls around the corner. staff are happy to chat (in english) and give advice, although in truth i was quite happy to play lucky dip with the huge range of artisanal beers on offer. easily accessible by tram (no.14?) from milan centre, around 10 stops i think. what would make it even better? heating! on a freezing cold march evening, with a constant flow of people and the door forever opening and closing, it actually got really bloody cold in there (and that's a british visitor speaking...), it did have an adverse affect on an otherwise superb atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“cozy bar”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We ordered hamburger and it was delicious, the cook minced the meat at the time we ordered.
Lots of beer options and friendly barmen let us taste the beers to choose the right one.
Playing good music from cd.

• Visited February 2013
Athens, Greece
“just beer!!!!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

amazing place for who loves craft beer!24 different choices from foreign to italian craft beers and also grate choice of snacks and more, of top quality ingredients! I visited 2 of the BQ pubs during my holidays, I loved the one on navigli which has only italian beers. it seemed like half of Milan was outside that tiny place!I had no idea Italy has such a good craft beer industry and that place is your way to find that out! definitely a must!

• Visited August 2012
Milan, Italy
“to be excellent just some free food”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

belgian beers, irish beers, german beers, trappist and artigianal beers, the place is really warm and nice. i've been there few times and always i had a great beer experience. you can have sandwices, hamburgers and bruschette but, to reach the top, they need to serve some free food during the happy hour time.

• Visited May 2012