“Miserable in Milan”

Hotel Mazzini
Hotel Mazzini
Ranked #418 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed September 30, 2007

After traveling in Italy, staying in 7 different hotels and b&bs in the 60-70 euro price range, we can definitely say that this was by far the worst place we stayed. We had the misfortune of having this place as our hotel for two nights in August. The room we were given had a funny odour, especially in the washroom. The furnishings were outdated and worn out. The headboard and tables in the room were greasy, the walls were filthy, and the chairs were damaged. In the washroom the entire ceiling in the shower area was covered in mould. The only thing that appeared to be clean in the room were the sheets (not the cover). We were not surprised that the room didn't have a/c as many places in Italy do not. However, there was no fan either. Therefore at night we either had to open the windows and get eaten alive by mosquitos or sweat with no fan. Needless to say we didn't sleep very well either night. There was also quite a lot of noise at night from people outside and other people staying in the hotel (the walls were thin). The breakfast on the first day was fine but on the second day the buns were stale and there were not enough for everyone who was staying at the hotel. The area around the hotel is not that nice. There were hookers on the street outside in the evenings. The positves about this hotel are that it is close to the train station and to the main street with shopping. It is however far from many of the other sites tourists may want to visit in Milan. There is no way we would ever stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank sanddollarCanada

Reviewed November 16, 2006

Mazzini was great value for the price. The room was spacious, clean and had air conditioning. The bathroom was also a good size and the provided toiletries were a nice addition. The guy at reception was friendly and helpful and breakfast was pretty good. It does look a bit dodgy outside, but inside is bright and clean.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank PM-of-M
London.
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We've just come back from Milan. Hotel basic but room ok. Staff friendly and helpful, particularly Susanna. Noisy at night. Felt ok walking around at night. Had a good time.

• Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed March 16, 2006

We ended up staying at the Mazzini hotel as we were "bumped off" from the Cristello hotel a block away (read my review on the Cristallo).
Myself and two mates were in Milan for the Ajax v Inter champions league game and had booked a triple room for one night. In fact there were twelve of us in all, split up between three different hotels.When we first approached the Mazzini from across the street it did look dirty and drab and we did wonder what we had been fobbed off with. However,when we entered the hotel we were pleasantly surprised. A friendly girl on the reception checked us in and we were given the triple room right by the reception (there are pluses and minuses to this room which I will come to). Behind the reception was the small dining room come bar area. We asked when the bar was open and she said now if you wish - brilliant! Asked when the bar closed, she said 2 or 3 in the morning she said you can get a beer at virtually any time. Things were really looking up.The bar in the other hotel was shut and when it was open closed at 11pm. She informed us that breakfast was from 7am, we said we will probably have to miss it as we had to catch our shuttle bus back to the airport from central station at 07.30. She said no problem,I will arrange for you to have breakfast at 06.45 instead (the Mazzini is about a 10-15 minute walk to Central station).The triple room we were given was quite spacious with ample room around the three beds. It had T.V. and air conditioning,our beds were clean and indeed very comfortable. The shower room/toilet was in our opinion big enough it even had a bidet. The shower was excellent with good water pressure. The wash basin area was in the main room. We were given plenty of towels plus shower gel and bars of soap.We even had shoe polish! I know a previous reviewer gave a negative review of this room and I can understand where they are coming from and it is the noise during the night.Because the room is right by the reception and the front door it does get quite noisy with the comings and goings of people,night reception guy chatting on the phone and when the trams start in the morning you can hear them rumbling by. As we were only staying one night it didn't really matter, in fact we didn't get back to the hotel until around 2am and we all simply "crashed" into bed. I thought we had a really good deal at 30 euro's (£21) each for the night including a nice breakfast in the morning,something our friends didn't get at their hotels.If I was staying for longer say 3 nights or more I would ask for another room perhaps upstairs.
All-in-all a short but pleasant stay. I have given the hotel an overall 3 star average rating but I would give it 4 stars for the friendy and helpful staff. Our only criticism (apart from the night noise) is the outside of the hotel could do with a freshen up to make it a little more welcoming. I would certainly consider staying here again if I return to Milan.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank finkfloydman
New York
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Stayed here for a night and I hate it. I can't wait to leave Milan because of this place. The hotel basically have no sewage system. It was nasty to shower and soak with 3 inches of water. The room look terrible and the bed sheet has stinks on it. I paid like 130 bucks and it definitely not worth it.

• Stayed: February 2006
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2005

My review may be a little different to others because the staff stuck us in the worst room in the hotel, on the ground floor next to the reception, despite the fact that it wasn't full. I don't know if the other rooms were furnished better but ours was pretty shocking. There was a bench above my bed that stuck out about 1 foot so I had to be careful not to hit my head when I sat up. Bathroom was by far the most basic I encountered in Europe & the blankets were dirty. But what made us leave after 1 night when we were booked in for 2 was the noise. If we were paying bargain basement rates then fine, you put up with it, but it wasn't cheap! We were woken all through the night and the noise was unbearable by 6am. We just couldn't stay. There are plenty of other hotels around this area & close to the station, try them first before this one. The staff were extremely rude when we said we couldn't stay in that room - basically they just didn't care. Good location, safe area but very ordinary hotel. Maybe if I'd stayed in a different room and paid around 100 EUR per night I could've been a bit more positive about this hotel.

Wirral, Merseyside. England
Reviewed January 29, 2005

We stayed there in Feb 2004, A nice small and friendly, budget hotel. The barman was great. Close to station and metro. The restaurant opposite was recommended by the barman and we are looking forward to returning to sample the foodagain. The hotel was adequate but if I was going in the winter again would prefer a larger hotel with more facilities.