“Close to the Central train station, Convenient location”
Review of Canova Hotel

Canova Hotel
Ranked #218 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We booked a triple room through 1800hotels.com at a good price for 1 night ($128). After arriving by train, just go straight pass the McDonalds and turn left when you see the pharmacy. We arrived there at 2:45pm and were told our room would not be ready for another hour. Their website states that check in is at noon. The receptionist did not apologize but just handed us some tags to fill out and attached to our luggage so that they can store them for us. It was a hot day and we were looking forward to freshening up after a long train trip in which the train was 45 minutes delayed, thus, we were not pleased with the hotel. The room when we finally did check in was pretty much like the pictures on their website. My bed was fine but the other two beds were lumpy and you can hear the springs. The bathroom had two sinks but taking a shower was strange. My sister had no hot water when she was the first to shower. I got some warm water, while the last to shower had hot water. Breakfast started at 7 am and consisted of cereal, breads, croissants, pastries, yogurt and beverages (juice, coffee, tea). Near by on the same street is a general merchandise store that sold 1.5 lt cold bottled water for 1 euro. I would only stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SeptemberBaby

Reviewed March 10, 2009

The Canova Hotel was easy enough to find, very close to Milan Central Station, about two minutes walking distance from the station exit.
We travelled to Milan on an Easy Jet flight and caught the Malpensa Express from Malpensa Airport. The journey is only 40 minutes and a return ticket is 22 Euros. A single is 11 euros and costs the same whether you buy two singles or a return. The train itself is a two storey train and has bags of room, toilets are a bit ropey but then again they all were in Milan!
The subway stations are easy enough to navigate and the ticket machines have an English option. Beware of people offering to operate these machine for you - they try to get you to put more money in than you need and take your change as payment for helping you! As I said you don't need them to help you as the machines will give you instructions in English. Or if you do get accosted try to put in the correct money before they rob you of your change. The subway runs into the early hours, apparantly closing at 12.30am. It is easy to get around Milan from Central Station and is only a few stops from the city centre, nowhere is far in Milan.
The hotel is located on a street off the square (where Milan Central Station lies). The street itself is quiet, only a couple of bars and restaurants, there are plenty of other hotels lined up next to each other all the way along. There is quite a good supermarket on the street with an English speaking and friendly shop assistant. On the second day I did notice that opposite the hotel was a 'Thai Massage Parlour', no guesses for what goes on in there then. The only bar that seemed to stay open after 10.30 was next to the hotel, everywhere else closed fairly early.
The hotel lobby was nice enough, with sofas and a bar. The check in staff were very pleasant and helpful. The room was dire; imagine 1970's Eastern Europe and you won't go far wrong. The bathroom was tiny and needed updating, but the shower was like a power shower and there was plenty of hot water. The room safe didn't work the whole time we were there, but in my opinion was pointless anyway as was operated by your room card. So any of the check-in staff or anyone who knew how to program the room cards would have been able to help themselves to anything in your safe should it take their fancy. We ended up taking everything out with us, which isn't advisable at there are dippers operating on the same street. I was targeted by two women begging for money for a baby they were carrying, they blocked my path several times and opened my handbag, but didn't get anything bar a flight itinerary. We also got woken up at 8 in the morning by the roadworks just outside the hotel.
We didn't get up for the breakfast so can't comment on the food.
There isn't a great deal to see in Milan itself, the main square with the Duomo Cathedral is impressive and there is a good department store and plenty of designer shops. No bargains to be had now though due to the poor exchange rate. it has also made drinking in Milan expensive, at 8 Euros for a glass of beer (wasn't even a pint!) and 12 Euros for two glasses of house red. Even a can of coke was 5 Euros. These were the prices in the restaurants just off the main square, and the waiters were in the main brusque to the point of being rude. Other bars away from the centre provide plenty of snacks to have with your expensive drinks, in one bar we got a basket of crisps, a bowl of olives and a basket of thai rice crackers for no extra cost.
I did try a smattering of Italian in the restaurants but it wasn't appreciated here as much as it has been in other places in Italy I have been to.
A couple of locals seemed helpful and friendly enough though offering help when we looked a bit lost and spoke all spoke very good enlgish which was far superior to my Italian!
I probably wouldn't visit Milan again, and wouldn't recommend the hotel especially for the price we paid, you could stay in a luxury room in a country house hotel for the same price in the UK.
It would be fair to say we probably didn't see it in the best light as it was a very cold february (it had snowed the previous week) and we didn't manage to visit all the places we wanted to due to a poor map and guide (don't bother with the Berliz guide - Eyewitness guides are better and have far superior maps) and we didn't visit the area by the canal which is supposed to be the best for nightlife.
I would say if you wanted to visit an Italian city try Venice or Rome instead.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Canova. The hotel is very close to Centrale train/underground station and within walking distance from the shopping area of Corso Buenos Aires.
Our double room was spacious and recently refurbished, with a modern bathroom that included a jacuzzi shower, safe box, LCD TV with satellite (Sky), air conditioning, etc. There's also wireless internet in the hotel and a small bar where breakfast is served.
One nice touch is the service they've got whereby if you leave your luggage in their care, they tag it airport-style to make sure it doesn't go astray.
In short, you simply cannot go wrong for the price you pay to stay at the Canova.

Reviewed July 16, 2008

The Canova Hotel is very close to the main train station in Milan and the subway stop there. Single rooms are small but well appointed. Air conditioning is individually controlled in the room and much appreciated, and the hotel is quiet. Internet access is easily purchased in the lobby. The included breakfast is light and nothing special, but met our needs. I understand the neighborhood can be cautionary late at night, but we weren't out late and had no problems. And the price is definitely right. Even though the Canova isn't near the major tourist sights in Milan, its easy access to the subway and stazzione, and its price make this a good budget choice for a short stay in Milan.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I will recommend this hotel primarily because of its convenient location, just across the Milan Central Station. The hotel is well maintained with friendly and helpful staff. The size of the room is average and it has good bathrooms. I must mention that it has really nice pressure shower with different outlets.As requested, we got two adjoining rooms and the check-in was swift. On the whole we had a nice experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2008

For the money, this is a great hotel. People complained about the decor, yes it is dated, but who cares? I don't travel to check out the hotel, but rather the city. There is a subway stop right at the corner, maybe a 1-2 minute walk? Very close. The breakfast is okay, not the best I have had in Europe, but certainly adequate. The staff, for the most part, was exceedingly friendly and nice. One gentleman was a bit short, not rude, by any stretch, just short, I think that maybe he didn't speak english. There is airconditioning. Internet is available in the lobby for a couple euros (I don't remember exactly the price). The place is clean. I agree with the reviewer who said the pillows were hard, that is true, but I didn't ask for a replacement so clearly it was tolerable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2008

This hotel is in the perfect location, easy to find from the front of the central station look for the big MacDonald on the corner and it is on the street on the right.
It was much better than we had expected, the room were spacious and clean, the staff were friendly and breakfast included. The staff even kept our bags in the backroom as we didn't have to leave Milan till later on in the evening. I wouldn’t hesitate recommending this hotel.
For sight seeing I would recommend that you buy a 24hour travel pass from the tobacco shop in the station, it also sells tickets for the bus back to Bergamo.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family