“Nice and easy”

The Small
Ranked #1,223 of 8,085 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: the small; bistrot, tè, infusi, vettovaglie e suppellettili.the small è creatività, cura, stile e qualità. una grande ricerca per un lifestyle internazionale e contemporaneo - via paganini 3(MI)
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice and easy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Exellent food. Excellent service. You pay for what you get.Book to be sure of a seat...small is definatly small...portions are reasonable. Prices high. Its a simple case of " supply & demand"
Make it a point to visit . You wont be dissapointed.

Milan, Italy
“Paradise Found”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Granted that it's been open for the last three years, and considered the fact that it's hidden just off an improbable 'square' nested between a major shopping street, Corso Buenos Aires, and outer ring road (circonvallazione), I am little upset at myself for not having found this heavenly place before: a little 'fruit shop' converted into an ultracosy dining room, impeccably decorated with an eclectic taste that suddenly make you wonder whether you are in Paris or in an ultra-ultimate restaurant in Tel Aviv.
And of course Francesco (but call him Yochai) makes it all happen. He first confirmed my website reservation with a phone call that made us become instant 'tu' friends, he greeted my wife and I with the warmest smile as well as with a glass of fruity Prosecco. He then presents a highly creative menu, skillfully handwritten, which promises and maintains a pleasure of the senses. He also reccomends his family- produced Sicilian red wine - truly one of the best I've ever had.
But then an amazing 'Burrata' arrives, served on vintage Ceramic plates, accompanied by the tastiest tomatoes and dressed with basil, followed by a truly outstanding homemade cheese 'tortelli' with butter, sage and pine nuts. I hope my dietician isn't reading this or else I am in trouble. I tried to mend things up by ordering an innocent grilled fish for our main course.
I used the plural because my wife and I shared all these dishes, and were wisely advised by Francesco not to order more (when did that happen to you before?) as the portions are very generous.
Dessert was utter bliss (we had a taste of two: a creamy yet subtle cheese cake and a chocolate cake made with cherry tomato and jam compote). Coffee was served in little porcelain cups. We felt like royalty in disguise!
I wish more people put as much care and passion into their businesses these days. Maybe we wouldn't all be moaning about the recession!

2 Thank Alberto L
“Unique, personal, and one of a kind experince”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Great food, home grown wine and beautiful decor..everything was perfectly put together. The host, like everyone commented on, is truly lovable with a bubbly but chic personality. He is very hands on with his guests as he goes through each item on his menu, and suggests the best suiting dish for the guest. We had no idea what to order, so he naturally asked us what ingredients we liked and picked us his top dishes on his menu. The borrocati cheese and brushetta were so simple with fresh ingredients and the mushroom and creme tortellini were so smooth and nutty...all to die for and absolutely worth coming back for the same unique experience...oh and he also serves donkey meat, if anyone is interested in culinary ventures.

Pearl of the Orient
“Gem of a find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Alessandro and his small yet charming team bring passionate zeal to dining at 'The Small'. As the name suggests, space is limited yet it's made to work. We observed two groups being seated on the street between parked cars at impromptu tables set up when no others were available. Brilliant!

I have to admit to being greatly disappointed by food in Milan so to find a place where fresh food is cooked passionately to great result was just what the doctor ordered. Both I and my friend loved the food. The tart made with raspberries and tomato (TOMATO!?!) blew me away.

As it is a small team, they can get overwhelmed by large groups and simultaneous arrivals so kick into Italian mode, enjoy a Prosecco and let Alessandro and crew do their thing.

• Visited September 2012
“The Small: wonderfull and artsy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Based on the TA reviews I went here with my boyfriend for a late lunch. Afraid we might not get a table I sent Alex an email to make a reservation. The next day he confirmed my reservation.

Alex is the owner of the place, and couldn't be a better host! He introduced himself and sat down next to us to translate the handwritten (!) menu from Italian to his best English.

Even though he was almost closing the restaurant, he still made sure we had our 'dolci' (dessert) and coffee. Which he said in the end were on the house. Amazing service!

All in all, we had an absolutely wonderfull experience tasting the biological food and staring at all the art he has. A definite go-to place when you are in Milan.