“Second visit”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #11 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed August 1, 2013

After few years the road took me, again, to Milano and I decided to repeat my experience with Hotel Berna. As I was traveling by car I took advantage of their garage. It is automated one where your car is 'parked' by a 'machine' in the box so no other humans can have access to it, till you check out from the hotel.
Though the hotel has not changed much since my previous visit, technology introduced in the meantime gave me the opportunity to customise my room by selecting the amenities, pillows and filling the complementary minibar with my favorite drinks.
I am sure that the same system provided enough information to the staff about me so they were addressing to me in the way that made me feel as if I was important person.
The room itself was clean and what is even more important, for me the bathroom was perfect and perfectly cleaned. In fact it looked like new (maybe it was).
As a 'road warrior' the most important thing for me is internet connection. In Hotel Berna I got the fast and reliable one. The VPN with my server did not drop even once from 6PM to 7AM the next day.
The breakfast was great with a lot of fresh fruit.

If and when the road takes me to Milano again I will certainly stay in the same hotel.

Room Tip: Do not miss the opportunity to customise the room before your arrival!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank njoncic

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I've recently spent a week at hotel Berna for business reasons (end of July). The location is excellent, very close to central station and city center. My room was very quiet clean and comfortable. Wifi is free and fast everywhere. Free minibar is a plus, specially in summer! Staff is incredibly friendly, helpful and always smiling. I'll go back anytime I'll have a chance to go to Milan.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I don't know wht this hotel is ranked so highly on tripadvisor but I will say it was a very nice stay.
Pros:
-we stayed across the street from the hotel in the "Berna Tower." No doorman there but security system. Rooms there are very nice, new, clean, and modern. Nice size room with very large bathroom.
-main hotel has nice bar/restaurant
-nice accomodations
-good service/friendly staff
-good value/affordable prices
-location was convenient for us becuase 3 minute walk to train station, and we were using Milan as a hub to travel to other places each day, but if you want to go to see Milan for a few days, the location is not the best (pretty far from City's chopping center/Duomo)
Cons:
-location depending on what you want to see (see point above)
-not much to do directly around the hotel (not great places to eat/shopping/sites)
Overall, I would definitely stay here again if going to Milan and needed to be by the train station.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Wonderful stay! I would highly reccommend this hotel when visiting Milan. The staff was very helpful, and went that extra mile to assure we had a good experience. Beautiful and clean room! Great location! We couldn't stop talking about the breakfast! We felt totally pampered!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

stayed here for 5 night during winter time. Location is great, near to the train station & subway station. The decor of this hotel is very dated and have the "old" smell, is like a hotel in the 70s or 80s. They do provide complementary minibar, everything in the minicar is free. The snack bar at the lobby, i think can be skipped. The coffee is really bad. The worst coffee i had in Italy. The so called snack is just some tasteless biscuits.
for the price i paid, i will not go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank panda_panda82
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just stayed at the hotel on 26/27 Jul 2013 and got the WORST bed bugs attack that my doctor has ever seen. 27 Jul night was my last night in Italy staying at Hotel Berna, Milan with 2 other friends. We had a room with 3 beds and I slept on the extra bed which was a sofa bed. I had to check out the next morning with a whole body full of flaming red sores from bedbug bites. I complained to the front desk and they insisted it was mosquito bites and ran after us with 3 bars of chocolates to try and resolve the matter after seeing that we were not happy with their responses. I even had the pictures of the bedbugs on the bed to show them but to no avail (attached).

I had the MOST uncomfortable long haul flight back home after checking out due to the itchiness and looked like someone with some skin disease all over my face, arms & legs. I went to see a doctor upon my return to my home country and the doctor stated that what i had looked typically like bedbug bites and was the most severe case she has seen.

I am disappointed with the hotel even though I really thought everything was great.. if not for the bed bugs!!! How can a hotel with a Excellent rating have bed bug in their beds?

This was the "Souvenir" I received from my trip to Italy and this memory will be etched upon my mind of my what-should-have-been a great holiday to Italy.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank WC K
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear WCK2013,

my name is Carlo Fontana and I’m the GM of the Hotel Berna, which my family – in the hotel business since 1992 - has run and operated with a great pride for hospitality since 1973.

I’m really saddened to read about the insect bites and have given to it the highest priority, talking directly with all receptionists on duty and the housekeeping manager in order to have a precise picture.

Mr. Giacomo (the Front Office Manager) referred me that he was informed about the insect bites only the day of your departure, when you showed him and the other colleagues on duty "2 or 3 " bites on your neck and a picture of an insect.

As the picture was out of focus and quite unclear, they immediately thought they could have been bites of mosquitoes, as the city of Milan is actually infested by mosquitoes and many other insects.

Following your feedback, the Housekeeping Manager (Mrs. Annabelle) had immediately carried out a deep and accurate control of the room, and no traces of any kind of insects were found, perhaps because - as you said - you killed them.

As per our standards procedure, the room was also checked the following day with the assistance of my mother Rosa (the Quality Manager) and again no traces of insects were found.

We are in fact really very proud of the quality of our cleaning procedures and the high standard achieved, which are also considered by our guests to be one of our points of strength.

As I have no doubts that you are suffering for some bites of bed bugs - and I’m really very sorry for this very unpleasant issue - I immediately called today our pest company for further clarifications.

I have been explained that “bed bugs” is considered a worldwide phenomenon, which is not related to the cleanliness of a place and cannot be kept under control or totally avoided.

Bed bugs are in fact commonly transported - and consequently also introduced – by travellers with their luggage or clothes on trains, airplanes, taxi, theatres, clothing stores, shuttle buses and other places with crowds.

For this reason, I would kindly ask you to deeply check your luggage and personal belongings as they might be introduced in the room by them.

In order to limit any risk whenever travelling, checking the bags and personal belongings is something we all should get the habit to do, and I personally have the same behaviour.

In case, to have more information please read in Internet the several articles regarding bed bugs, as: Britain Bedbugs or NYC Bedbugs Scaring Off NYC Tourists

I really appreciate the fact that you immediately informed us of this unpleasant issue, thus giving us the possibility to take an immediate action and check immediately your room (which is absolutely clean and in perfect order).

I hope my explanation will be viewed as an attempt to keep a strong, ongoing relationship between us. Because for me, that is top priority. I want all of our customer's experiences to be positive so that they will come back again and again.

I’m really so sorry for this unpleasant issue, which was honestly totally out of our control.

You are a valued guest.

Best regards,

Dr. Carlo Fontana, GM

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excellent position for the station (2 minutes with rolling luggage)
Easy access to the Milan underground for 10 minute ride to Duomo, La Scala etc..
Nice people