Hotel Berna
$363
$277
  • Pool
6,938 results
All reviewscentral stationrubber duckcarrot juicethe main hotelmini barfree soft drinksbreakfast buffetexcellent hotelfree wifiroom temperaturemilano centralesuperior roomtea and coffeeminute walkmalpensa airportsingle roomvisit milan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Located quite close to Milano Centrale, Hotel Berna is an excellent option for those who seek a reasonably priced, no-frills hotel within walking distance of the train station. I had consulted Trip Advisor in selecting my hotel and these reviews did not steer me wrong. Hotel Berna very easy to find and while it isn't much to look at from the outside, my room had a surprising and welcome modern flair to it.

At the tail end of a trip to Italy with family and friends, I planned to travel up to Milan (a city I'd not yet visited, though I had been to Italy twice before) on my own for a single day and night. I arrived on the train and within 40 minutes, I was able to walk to the hotel with my two rolling suitcases, check in, settle in, and then venture out again to begin my day of exploration. Prior to my arrival, I had received emails encouraging me to "personalize" my room, though I didn't take advantage of this. The staff was kind and helpful, almost eager to speak English, and they made it easy for me to check in early and they even upgraded my single room. The room was quite small but I was fully prepared for this, as all the information is clearly listed on the website. And really, it was perfect for what I needed -- a safe and clean homebase for a solo traveler more interested in exploring the city than spending time in the hotel. Clearly, the room had recently been redone (the interior of the room didn't quite jive with the more staid and expected reception area and hallways) but I was quite pleased by the small space. There were a large number of light switches that took a while to figure out (including some blue accent lighting for the bathroom). My window opened completely, the mini-fridge was stocked with free (non-alcoholic) items, and there were enough of electrical outlets. As far as perks go, I was particularly pleased with the towel warmers in the bathroom and the adorable rubber duckie that comes with a note encouraging you to take him home, complete with a quote that reads "A day without laughter is a day wasted." Seriously, the space taken up by the bathroom was almost equivalent to the space for the bedroom. Shower only but there was a bidet, of course. Hallway/general hotel noise was minimal during the night and I slept well. Wifi was free and pretty reliable (though I had to wait a little while before I could access it, as I had checked in early). Check-out in the morning was quick. They're definitely used to travelers like me who just want an easy experience as they set out to explore.

You'll need to take the subway (or be prepared for a longish walk) in order to get to the center of the tourist attractions (three stops away), but as long as you don't mind being away from the hotel all day, it's worth it to not cart your luggage far from the transport hub. Additionally, if you take advantage of the buses to the airport (they might say it takes 40 minutes to get there but really it takes 60), then you'll be quite close to where you catch those beside the train station. Still, for solo travelers who just want a decent hotel as a jumping-off-point for their Milan tourist activities, I'd certainly recommend the Hotel Berna.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RedheadedWanderer
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the Berna last October when we visited the city to see La Boheme at La Scala. The service at the hotel is top class. Hotel location excellant as it is near the main line station and bus terminal. Top hotel and reasonably priced as far as Milan hotels go

Room Tip: Ask for preference, ie quiet room, non smoking etc and the staff seem always to oblige.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sobers
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at the Berna for two nights while in Milan on business. I got a fairly cheap deal (for 4-stars in Milan, that is) at €115/night breakfast incl. The hotel is located about 200m from the main entrance to the central station with direct link to Malpensa, and is just 50m from the metro station which is four stops from the central Duomo square. So while the area around the central station is itself quite uninspiring, it is very easy and fast to get from the hotel to the main attractions and other metro lines.

Anyway what impressed me the most about this hotel was the service and attention paid to me by the staff - all the staff from the concierge to the bartender to the cleaning staff. I have stayed in about 25 different hotels in these past six years and I have never felt so welcome and well attended to throughout the stay as I did at the Berna. The staff all acted like they really cared for the guest and wanted to help wherever possible, with transport information, IT problems, forgotten toiletries, use of printer, holding luggage for an afternoon after checkout, etc. You can get all this if you actively request it in most 4-stars but at the Berna they invite you to get it, and seem genuinely happy to oblige - when I picked up my luggage I was also offered a complimentary bottle of water for my trip to the airport. Taken together all these small details says a lot about the overall quality and servicemindedness of the staff, which is excellent.

My room was fairly small - about 10-12 square meters, but still including desk, water boiler, flat screen TV, bed and bed table and a bathroom which was just the right size. It was very comfortable and well designed, and they had also placed some mirrors in strategic positions so the room neither looked nor felt too cramped. This again says something about the attention to detail which seems to be everywhere at this hotel. Also you get to customize your room before check-in so you can tell what sorts of pillows, blankets, etc you want and what the air condition in the room should be set at. And Wifi was free with a very high signal strength and stability in the room also, as well as in reception and other common areas.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the Hotel Berna and its staff, and when I next go to Milan, the odds are I will stay at the Berna again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank T-Frandzen
Reviewed February 23, 2013

It was everything one could ask for as far as a hotel is concerned-especially if you're not accustomed to a Four Seasons-type location. As far as I we were concerned, the Berna set the bar in terms of what a hotel should be. The breakfast offerings were plentiful and quite satisfying to say the least! The staff was quite courteous and accommodating! We were able to leave our large bags during a side trip to Riomaggiore which was quite a relief.
The location is within walking distance to the train station which is nice should one wish to take a daytrip and visit some of the marvelous towns surrounding Milan.
If at all possible, splurge for the junior suite which was sizeable especially in comparison to your typical European.

Room Tip: Splurge for a junior suite. Well worth the extra cost especially considering the size of a typical hotel room in Europe!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I loved everything about this place. Ultra friendly staff, very clean room, and the breakfast buffet was definitely the best ive had so far. The hotel is within walking distance from Centrale. Also a very short walk to the metro, we were at Duomo in less than 10 minutes. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family