“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #13 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed February 23, 2013

It was everything one could ask for as far as a hotel is concerned-especially if you're not accustomed to a Four Seasons-type location. As far as I we were concerned, the Berna set the bar in terms of what a hotel should be. The breakfast offerings were plentiful and quite satisfying to say the least! The staff was quite courteous and accommodating! We were able to leave our large bags during a side trip to Riomaggiore which was quite a relief.
The location is within walking distance to the train station which is nice should one wish to take a daytrip and visit some of the marvelous towns surrounding Milan.
If at all possible, splurge for the junior suite which was sizeable especially in comparison to your typical European.

Room Tip: Splurge for a junior suite. Well worth the extra cost especially considering the size of a typical...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Berna

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I loved everything about this place. Ultra friendly staff, very clean room, and the breakfast buffet was definitely the best ive had so far. The hotel is within walking distance from Centrale. Also a very short walk to the metro, we were at Duomo in less than 10 minutes. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights in February 2013 having looked a variety of options. Hotel Berna has a great location - 2mins walk from central train station (where the airport bus arrives/departs), a metro station at the end of the road with 2 lines that take you to all parts of the city - Duomo and main square are 5/10mins away by metro and only took 25mins to walk down a safe street route! Hotel was clean, breakfast variety was huge and available until 11am -and all of the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Room we were in was nice - for us it was just a place to sleep and shower so the fact it wasn't huge didn't make a difference - but there was a desk and free wifi in room and there is a PC/printer available for free in reception. Decor is a little dated and not "boutique" or "contemporary" but our room was very clean and added bonus of free soft drink minibar - which was very handy! Also cakes/snacks available on bar all day. Not the quietest of rooms as we were near the lift/stair well so heard people coming and going early morning - but we were getting up to go and enjoy the city anyway so no big deal! Very accommodating when we checked out and kept our luggage safely locked away while we went out to enjoy the city. Overall we had a lovely stay and would recommend the Hotel Berna.

Room Tip: higher floors would have less street noise and ask to be away from stairs if possible
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KHD7
Reviewed February 22, 2013

All the staff is extremely friendly, nice and helpful. Anytime I travel to Milano for business or pleasure I "live" there with them.....now it is my home when in Milano. One can choose different room categories but the breakfast is simply great for everyone with even large choice of gluten free pastry. Do not forget to have the carrott fresh juice, lovely for starting a day...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband, infant son, and I needed a place to stay for one night that was close to the central train station. Hotel Berna fit the bill perfectly. It was moderately priced, a few minute walk from the station, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the rooms clean. We enjoyed the special touches of free (non alcoholic beverages) from the mini bar, free wi-fi, and the adorable rubber duckie we found in our bathroom- perfect for our son. I would recommend Hotel Berna to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very nice hotel, conveniently located. Good breakfast, great choice. Incredibly nice service - everyone is more than incredibly nice... incredibly nice really is an understatement. We checked in at 12 instead of 3 p.m., got an upgrade because they misspelled Mr. instead of Ms. The room was reasonable, bathroom was very big. We asked for a quiet room and we got one with a view to the interior garden, all good in here. The minibar is for free! Only non-alcoholic beverages, but still incredibly nice touch! Rubber duck for free! Love it! The downside: it really is a 3 star. The room was quite old, at least judging it by the bathroom (the even had a very "optimistic" scale in the bathroom - it showed that I weigh 5 kg less! Loved it!). Shampoo and shower gel yes, no hand soap... The upholstery and carpet smelled like old and somewhat mouldy... The location and the price was unbeatable. However, remember, do not expect a 5 star room, you are in a 3 star hotel. It is amazing for a 3 star, but it is not a 5 star!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lmaolol
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here in December last year, and waited until now to review, as I wanted to be balanced about it. My impression was that it was a little like the 'Curate's egg'..parts of it were quite excellent. For example, the location, very close to the Central Station and easy to find. Lots of good cheap resturants very close by. The breakfast was fantastic, with a very large array of quality food. It's almost worth staying at the Hotel Berna for the breakfast alone. The bar was comfortable and welcoming, the drinks reasonably priced and generous, with nuts and crisps on the table, and some very delectable food on the bar, free and gratis. The staff, for the most part, were friendly and helpful. There were, however, a few things that spoiled it for me. The first was my arrival. The receptionist was dealing with a customer, which was fair enough, but I would have expected a smile and nod from him to acknowledge my existence. His attitude when he did get around to serving me was coolly polite, but certainly not welcoming. I was not shown to my room as I had been in other hotels of the same class in Europe, and the room was very hard to find, with the numbering confusing. The room itself was adequete, although the bathroom was truly minute, even for Europe. The worst part was the noise. I was closeted hard by two elevators, which clanked all night, and my room seemed to be the central juction for all the plumbing in the place. So my night was clank-clank, gurgle-gurgle, and i got hardly any sleep. I was advised by the desk that the hotel was fully booked. That may be so, but with a very long plane trip ahead of me next day, I could have done with some rest. They were apologetic, and looked after my bags next day until my afternoon departure, but wouldn't give me a late check-out so that I might have caught up on my sleep. They were too busy they said. All in all, my experience was mostly positive, and I would stay there again. However, next time I would be sure to request a QUIET room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo