“Yes, very good, but remember - it is a THREE STAR”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #13 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Frankfurt
“Yes, very good, but remember - it is a THREE STAR”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very nice hotel, conveniently located. Good breakfast, great choice. Incredibly nice service - everyone is more than incredibly nice... incredibly nice really is an understatement. We checked in at 12 instead of 3 p.m., got an upgrade because they misspelled Mr. instead of Ms. The room was reasonable, bathroom was very big. We asked for a quiet room and we got one with a view to the interior garden, all good in here. The minibar is for free! Only non-alcoholic beverages, but still incredibly nice touch! Rubber duck for free! Love it! The downside: it really is a 3 star. The room was quite old, at least judging it by the bathroom (the even had a very "optimistic" scale in the bathroom - it showed that I weigh 5 kg less! Loved it!). Shampoo and shower gel yes, no hand soap... The upholstery and carpet smelled like old and somewhat mouldy... The location and the price was unbeatable. However, remember, do not expect a 5 star room, you are in a 3 star hotel. It is amazing for a 3 star, but it is not a 5 star!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lmaolol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here in December last year, and waited until now to review, as I wanted to be balanced about it. My impression was that it was a little like the 'Curate's egg'..parts of it were quite excellent. For example, the location, very close to the Central Station and easy to find. Lots of good cheap resturants very close by. The breakfast was fantastic, with a very large array of quality food. It's almost worth staying at the Hotel Berna for the breakfast alone. The bar was comfortable and welcoming, the drinks reasonably priced and generous, with nuts and crisps on the table, and some very delectable food on the bar, free and gratis. The staff, for the most part, were friendly and helpful. There were, however, a few things that spoiled it for me. The first was my arrival. The receptionist was dealing with a customer, which was fair enough, but I would have expected a smile and nod from him to acknowledge my existence. His attitude when he did get around to serving me was coolly polite, but certainly not welcoming. I was not shown to my room as I had been in other hotels of the same class in Europe, and the room was very hard to find, with the numbering confusing. The room itself was adequete, although the bathroom was truly minute, even for Europe. The worst part was the noise. I was closeted hard by two elevators, which clanked all night, and my room seemed to be the central juction for all the plumbing in the place. So my night was clank-clank, gurgle-gurgle, and i got hardly any sleep. I was advised by the desk that the hotel was fully booked. That may be so, but with a very long plane trip ahead of me next day, I could have done with some rest. They were apologetic, and looked after my bags next day until my afternoon departure, but wouldn't give me a late check-out so that I might have caught up on my sleep. They were too busy they said. All in all, my experience was mostly positive, and I would stay there again. However, next time I would be sure to request a QUIET room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Would definitely stay here again. All staff from housekeepers to doorman could not do enough for you. Rooms were spotlessly clean and ours at back of building overlooking courtyard very quiet Rooms are small and bit dated in decor but complimentary bar fridge with coke/diet coke/ water & juice etc pleasant extra plus free internet. Also self service area available 24 hours to make tea/coffee and bottled water was pleasant option on first night with jet lag I could go down stairs at 4am and make tea and read newpapers on Ipad using wifi sitting on pleasant cosy lounge area. Breakfast was also good with fantastic bacon and some interesting options such as Zucchinni, beans and roast potatoes. Alround cosy homely personal feel to everything. Very convenient to Train station (when you don't walk long way around) also possible to get to intra district trains from hotel with no steps!

Room Tip: Ask for room with updated decor. But rooms facing courtyard were very quiet at night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have just returned from a fab trip to Milan and the hotel was the icing on the cake. The staff were so helpful, they went out of their way to help us and the room was spotless. The breakfast was generous and again the staff could not have been more delightful. All in all this is one of the best city hotels I have stayed in with regards to value for money and location and with coffee /tea making facilities in the room.

Room Tip: Superior room as they are fairly spacious.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Caxias Do Sul, RS
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I booked Hotel Berna at the very last minute and was pretty happy with my choice. My mom and I arrived very early for check in, but they were very understanding and in 30 minutes our room was ready. When we got in there was a toy duck in the basin which seemed weird, but it is there to make you laugh and it works! The room is all right - comfortable and clean. Wifi works perfectly.
Anyways, the staff is great and they do speak English. The 24h coffee and tea in the lobby is a plus mainly in the winter time and the free minibar is unbelievable! The breakfast is very good and they do everything to make you feel comfortable. Under your cup there is a smiling candy and your cappuccino comes with a smiling face!
At check out they were really nice and gave us bottles of water and snacks for our trip. Loved it!
It was a very surprising and pleasant stay. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose the renovated rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ithaca
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have stayed in some of the best and most famous hotels in the world (e.g., the Bellagio, the Atlantis, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton), and I can confidently say that the level of personal attention, and care without pretentiousness that the staff at Berna gives you is unparalleled. From recognition as you walk in the door to anything you may need (I had to leave early, so they made me breakfast 15 min before official opening).
Great location, great service. I go out of my way to stay at Berna when I am in Milan.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gabester
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have just arrived home from a weekend break in Milan and I cannot rate Hotel Berna highly enough. Before you even check-in, the service is second to none. You are able to choose the type of pillows/bed covering you prefer and even the temperature of your room for your arrival. The hotel is ideally located for Central Station (and easy to find) and the links for buses and trains on their website are superb. It was my birthday on the day we checked out and I was presented with a cake at breakfast time and the staff all sang 'Happy Birthday' to me - without prompting from my mum! The breakfast really is wonderful and the free buffet (if you are having a drink in the bar) is lovely. The free mini bar is re-stocked daily and the staff could not have been nicer. All-in-all I will definitely return and will recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Milan.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family