“Good location- good service - excellent breakfast”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #13 of 428 Hotels in Milan
“Good location- good service - excellent breakfast”
Reviewed June 24, 2011

It was a very good hotel with a friendly staff. From the moment we booked we experienced a warm hospitality by asking our preferences for our room etc...
Breakfast: the best breakfast with many choices ( so far the best in many hotels we stayed in Italy)
and really FRESH fruit- not from the evening! It is a 5 * hotel breakfast.
Would love to stay again in Hotel Berna.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night (our first day before going into Emiglia-Romana). This was a great hotel for our needs. The staff reaches out to you before you arrive with e-mail messages. The room was very nice, ready for us after arrriving from the US (about 10 AM). We had a standard double and it was size enough for us ( had we been saying longer than one night we may have gotten a bigger room). The staff was very friendly. The hotel is about 2-3 blocks from the central train station, so it is very convenient to the station, but still far enough away as to avoid some of the seedier aspects of major train stations. Lots of convenient restaurants and stores around there also. In addition, the wi-fi really worked in the hotel room: many places that advertise free wi-fi give you very spotty coverage. This one worked well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Swedesboro, New Jersey
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I chose to stay here based on all the praise on TripAdvisor and so glad I did! This hotel provided a perfect "base" for 5 days in Milan for myself and my spouse. It's within a very easy walk from the train station (although that area gets pretty funky late at night!) and a Metro stop, plus if you want a taxi the desk can usually get you one within 3-5 minutes. Our room was perfectly acceptable and comfortable for a European city; we had a nice little balcony overlooking a quiet back street, no street noise or any other interference to relaxation. Free internet and free water/soda in the minibar daily. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever enjoyed, especially for "free!" Hot food, crepes, pastries, fresh fruit, hot chocolate, and different selections daily...wow.

Also, I really commend the front desk staff for being so accommodating and helpful. They arranged airport transportation for us, gave us a receipt with taxi number any time we needed one, and when I had a large item I needed to package to bring home, they went looking through the kitchen storage supplies to find some spare boxes for me and wrapped everything up for me - barely accepting the 5 Euro tip I wanted to give the one gentleman who helped out the most.

While you're a bit far away from the main historic center (it's a long, long walk) and not in the greatest neighborhood overall in Milan, I would still absolutely stay here again and recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel in the city. It's especially convenient if you plan on taking train/day-trips outside of the city, to the lakes or elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sockii
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I was in Milan on business and chose the Berna Hotel for its location, price and ranking. I had high hopes after reading the reviews and discovering its #4 ranking on Trip Advisor but I have to say I was a little disappointed.

The location is great being so close to the Centrale Station which is connected to the airport by bus and the rest of the city by the metro. I found the room and bathroom to be of good sizes with a large desk and wardrobe which made for a comfortable stay. The free high-speed wifi was also excellent and allowed me to keep on top of my workload via email.

The breakfast was nice though there were too many cakes and vegetables for my liking but the fruit salad and yogurt made for a healthier option. The breakfast room is also a bit cramped and you often had to wait and move around other guests and staff in order to seat and serve yourself.

Although not the hotel's fault, there were prostittues hanging around outside at all hours of the day which is pretty seedy and was a bit unpleasant to walk past on the way to the tube station each morning.

My main issue was that there was a misunderstanding regarding the hotel laundry service but rather than ensure I was a happy and satisfied customer the reception and housekeeping staff were more concerned with whose fault it was and proving themselves to be in the right. They even suggested I reviewed CCTV footage to confirm the time the laundry was dropped off which was way over the top - an apology for the inconvenience and a bit of trust would have been sufficient! As it happens I had a time-stamped travelcard which proved we couldn't have dropped off the laundry at the time they stated as we were actually on the Duomo roof at that time!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Staff friendly, obliging and helpful. We were able to leave our luggage early and staff advised us on best way to obtain Last Supper tickets. Easy walk from railway station. Especially appreciated the well stocked refreshments available in comfortable communal lounge area. Room decor and amenities were very good. Well done to a staff team who displayed professionalism at all times.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Berna for 2 nights in May 2011. The hotel had an excellent breakfast buffet and the rooms are well equipped with air conditioning and a plasma screen television that works with several English speaking channels. The hotel itself is well located near the train station and is very solid.

The problem arose when I received a package from the United States after I had checked out of the hotel. I asked the office staff to forward it to my next reasonable hotel location. I was informed that the hotel could not forward by courier service even though I provided them with a credit card for pre-payment, my passport number, and the contents of the package. At one point, my email correspondence went unanswered until I copied the hotel's general manager. After 3 days, the office staff agreed to forward the package by regular mail, but this delay decreases the chances of its arrival at the forwarding hotel in time. I should have been offered this choice initially. Forwarding of important materials is important for travelers and the hotel needs a more flexible policy.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear svelgus,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Berna.

We were delighted to read your positive comments about our hotel, rooms and comfortable location which makes us the perfect base for exploring Milan. Breakfast is also one of our most appreciated services and we are glad you found it to be excellent.

We were instead a bit astonished and amazed reading your comment with regard to the office Staff: we really care about the opinions of all our guests, positive or negative, as we feel we can learn and hopefully improve from their feedback.

We try really hard to make all our guests feeling welcome and appreciated from the very first moment they pass through our doors and being flexible and service minded are among
our top priorities.

We have tried all our best and have given the highest priority to find the best way to send back your package (a baby softener), but this could not be done through the most common shipping companies as they needed to have an active “personal account” of the receiver in their files, and this could not unfortunately be made directly by us. For this reason we were obliged to use the regular postal service, which we were more than glad to offer you free of charge.

We are amazed our efforts have not been well received.

I thank you once again for reporting us your unsatisfactory experience and hope you will give us a second chance in order to show you the quality of our services.

Best regards,

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I’m not sure that I will ever visit Milan again, but if I did I would stay at Hotel Berna to enjoy their 5 star service.

My wife and I had 2 nights there in a Superior Double Room, which was across the road in the “Tower” section. The room (453) was clean, modern and comfortable. Breakfast spread was excellent, and it was always service with a smile – and some unexpected touches, even after checkout, when I was offered fruit and snacks to take with us. We also enjoyed the free internet points – 1 in the tower and 3 in the main hotel across the road.

Don’t be concerned about the location being close to the main train station – it is clean and safe and quiet in our experience. Cesare recommended a local restaurant (Settembrini 18) which was really nice (we went back to the same place on our second night) – it was a 5 minute stroll and even when returning later in the evening it was quiet.

Being so close to Milano Centrale was ideal for our onward train journey to Venice. We had two 20kg suitcases on wheels and several other bags and it was no real problem to wheel them to the station – it is flat all the way and then at the station there are escalators / lifts / ramps.

There is good shopping within walking distance down Corso Buenos Aires