“No nonsense hotel....”

Ranked #126 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Preston, United Kingdom
“No nonsense hotel....”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the past 4 years. I have to say that it is consistent or to qualify it more constantly good. There are many hotels in Milan that are over rated and over priced. This is ideal for both business or pleasure. The rooms are clean and well appointed, although some can be small (go for deluxe) for the few euros extra. Down town or the exhibition centre are a 12 Euro taxi ride and there are a plethora of super restaurants within walking distance. The staff on the front desk and in the super cocktail bar are first class and all speak English for non Italian speakers. The breakfast is very continental so don't expect bacon and eggs, but never the less very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RangerNeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night, in a superior room. We picked the hotel as it was right opposite a restaurant that we were invited to. We had some time in the afternoon and took a taxi to the Duomo. The ride took about 10 minutes and was around 10 Euros. To walk there from the hotel would be around 30 minutes according to the receptionist. The room was on the small side but clean and comfortable and perfectly adequate. The color scheme made the room very cozy. Staff were friendly and helpful. Wifi worked perfectly. Overall we felt the hotel was good value for the rate.
The one thing that we didn't like very much was that the shower basin didn't drain very well and flooding the bathroom is very easily done. We weren't going to venture into the drain though .... I'm not sure either I would qualify this hotel as a 4-star.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miss_Floopster
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I had a short two day stay in MIlan. The hotel is clean and the reception was very welcoming and accommodating. All spoke English very well. The rooms AC works well. The one in our room leaked on the floor but we just told reception and then put a towel down to avoid wet socks. Wi-fi works well, you just ask for codes every 24 hours. Breakfast was included in our stay and was the standard european display of meats, cheeses, boiled eggs and bread. There are close tram stops that can get you to the trains, but we chose to do lots of walking on this trip and didn't utilize the trams to get around.

We took the Malpensa Express train (29 mins) from the Malpensa airport to Cadorna station (11 euros pp) and walked thru Park Sempione to get to our hotel. It is about a 3 km walk and a beautiful day for it or a 10 euro taxi ride. The hotel is not ideal walking distance from the Duomo di Milan, but doable with lots of time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank my2cents2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed for a week due to a conference. Room is OK, a bit small, but that's normal in Italy. There's a big construction nearby, and the hotel is a bit far from public transport (but quite close to MiCo convention center). Breakfast was good, with a varied choice. Staffs are generally friendly, except the receptionists. They are patronising, rude and dismissive. Particularly the guy called Luca. It takes a lot of restraint for me not to smack his face when talking with him. If you can ignore the rude receptionists & hotel manager, your stay should be good enough.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Madglobetrotter81
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I had a 2 night stay here June 10th and 11th 2013. We found the hotel to be very clean and tidy. I could I suppose, say that the room was a bit on the small side, but never the less well fitted out and the bed very comfortable. The staff were very polite and helpful (both shifts) at all times. The continental breakfast had, I would say one of the widest choices of food that we have been presented with anywhere. The dining area was spotless, being constantly attended by the staff.

Room Tip: We had room 103 which looked out onto high rise apartment blocks in close proximity, one of which wa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Room is tiny (about 12sqm) with a small shuttered window but place is clean & appears to be recently renovated, breakfast spread has a good selection, staff are generally friendly except for two males at the reception area. Situated in a pleasant residential area w no metro stop (altho they are currently constructing a new line) so you will need to walk quite a bit to take the train or bus.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank ChaoSev
Italy
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I recently had a terrible experience with this hotel, and its staff.

I had booked through booking.com for a night there. The following day I received an e-mail that Best Western had declined my reservation, and refused my card, as it was invalid. This didn't make any sense, so I followed the e-mail's instructions. They had said that I needed to provide booking.com with another credit card number, if I did not have another number to offer them - then I needed to contact the hotel directly. I did so.

I called the hotel, and spoke to the receptionist in Italian. When I gave him my name, he said that I was not in the computer's history - and when I explained the situation, he said in a patronizing tone, that I needed to contact booking.com, since they were the ones with whom I'd made the reservation. He informed me that their hotel had nothing to do with my situation, and that it was now up to me and booking.com to sort the mess out.

I called booking.com, and got in touch with their customer service department - which I have to say, were the friendliest people involved in this whole story. They were very informative, and made it very clear to me that they could not help me unless I could provide them with another credit card number. Since I couldn't do that - I needed to contact Best Western Hotel Mozart directly, since they were the ones who had...drum roll please...run my credit card and denied it.
Aha.

So I call Best Western for a second time, and speak to a different receptionist. Now, from here on out, everything is in English. He was a bit more friendly, and when I gave him my name, he said I was in the computer. Interesting. Was the first receptionist lying because he didn't want to deal with a customer who had booked through a different company? Perhaps.

After the second receptionist tells me that he would need to run the card's number again, and to call back later to see if it cleared, I did just that. Now for the third time that day, I called again. He was helpful enough, but informed me that since the card was going through (which still doesn't make sense, because my card was working fine that day at other places, it was clearly their system that wasn't working) I would need to send them an e-mail confirming my reservation for the date of my stay. I thanked him, but before hanging up I wanted the name of the man I'd spoken to earlier.

He put me on the phone with the first receptionist - Sergio. He was now all of a sudden super friendly and trying to tell me that they have a certain procedure and that they can't help me in anyway with regard to the credit card not going through, because they are not the ones with whom I booked: It was a matter I needed to take up with booking.com. Round and round we went until I was blue in the face, trying to explain to him that I had called them, and they said I needed to speak with the hotel directly. He wasn't rude: But not helpful at all, and would not try to fix the situation. I told him I would speak to him later.

I called back for a fourth time that night, and he finally told me the following, "Yes...I was just talking to my colleague here, and we have decided - there's really no need to make this so complicated for a guest who is only staying one night." Wow - you shouldn't make it complicated for a guest who is staying any number of nights. "So, when you arrive, you don't need to send us an e-mail first, we will just hold your reservation."
I thanked him, but still wanted to talk to the manager about the whole situation, vent a bit about how it should not have been so difficult to arrive at this solution to begin with, and also to ask him to send me some kind of confirmation that I would have a room for the night.

So, I called back the next day to speak with the manager, Luca, who I was expecting to be patient and listen to what I had to say. Wow. I was so, so wrong.

He greeted me politely and asked me how he could help. I began to tell him my situation and I was very friendly trying to just explain calmly what had happened with my credit card the day before, and then what had happened with his staff. Once I got about half way into the story, he cut me off curtly and explained that they have nothing to do with the credit card, and that there was nothing he could do to help me. He tried explaining that I needed to contact booking.com as they were the website with whom I'd booked - and that since it wasn't through Best Western, there was nothing he could do to help me. OK? I politely tried to explain that, while I understood what he was saying, that's not what the e-mail had stated, and that booking.com had advised me to contact the hotel directly. He then began to raise his voice, cutting me off again and explained again to me what he had just finished saying.
Once more, I tried to tell him calmly that it was impossible for booking.com to do anything because they'd informed me that Best Western was the one who ran my card. When I would ask a question, Luca cut me off, and then he began yelling, "Madam! We have rules! If you don't want to respect our rules, then that is your problem?! OK?" No, this was not okay. He continually raised his voice, telling me their "rules" and "policies" about the card, and that there was nothing he could do to help me. AT ALL.

I asked who his supervisor was. He responded, "I am the reservations manager."
"And who is your supervisor?"
"I am the supervisor today."
"I want the name of your supervisor."
"Madam, I am the manager today."

I was very upset, and when he told me not to "scream into the phone", because now I had started raising my voice, I responded, "I have to because you keep interrupting me and won't let me explain anything." He clearly grew tired of the conversation, and so ended it finally on his own by saying, "Madam. We have rules! If you don't want to respect our rules then that is your choice. Okay? Okay. Goodbye." click. He hung up the phone without allowing me to EVER counter his spiel or to let me explain the entire story. Not to mention yelling at a customer! I was horrified.

I immediately called back. Ten seconds after he'd hung up on me, another receptionist informed me that Luca was now in the manager's office, and could not be disturbed. I politely told him to pass along a message to Luca, letting him know that we would not be staying at their hotel, and that I would be calling the district manager of Milan, and also leaving a bad review on TripAdvisor - and here we are. Since then, I have taken measures to ensure that people high up in the Best Western chain, know of what happened.

I am disgusted and outraged that a manager of any hotel, let alone a place like Best Western would speak to a customer in such a way - and then the topper, to hang up on them!

My advice to all of you is to not spend any money here!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Euroerican

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels