“Calling it a 5 star should be false advertising”
Review of Melia Milano

Melia Milano
Ranked #59 of 428 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 30, 2013

As others have said, it might look nice from the outside and in the lobby but the rooms are very outdated and worn. A Holiday Inn has nicer rooms than this hotel.

When someone books a 5 star hotel they expect the best especially with the price tag associated with a stay here.

I generally stay at the Marriott in Milan but decided to try the Melia. Never again.

When I arrived in my room the key didn't work to turn on the lights, once I got someone up to my room to get those going by replacing the room key I noticed that the TV decided not to work. Call down again and have another person come up to fix that. Went into the bathroom...only 1 face towel and 1 large towel. Cal down for more towels. When I go to plug in my electronic device I find out that the 2 plugs by the bed aren't working. So I have to plug my computer and phone in the bathroom overnight to charge.

I paid for internet in the room, and it didn't work 1/2 of the time. When it did work, the speed was 250-280 kbps download and only 120-140 kbps upload (ran a speedtest). This is not an acceptable speed for someone conducting business on a trip, or even for a simply skype call.

I suggest you look elsewhere for accomodations until this hotel gets their act together.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SV775
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear SV775

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on TripAdvisor following you recent stay at the Meliá Milano. While we are obviously disappointed with your feedback about the room facilities, we genuinely appreciate all your as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to ensure our service is highly maintained. I am very sorry that you were not happy due to the internet connection not working strong enough as per your expectation and I would like to apologize that we have not delivered our usual high standard of speed performance. All of your comments have been taken on board. As we strive to constantly provide a high level of service, we are always keen to hear about your experience, even the points you may feel are small, so thank you for this. We truly hope that we will have another change to greet you again at the Meliá Milano for the new and enjoyable Experience!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The atrium and bar area are great, the lunch buffet is limited but not too expensive. They allowed me to check in early, which was good.
The bad news is that the rooms are tired, the card system has problems, the meeting rooms are very poor and expensive. my major gripe is that they will not provide an iron/ironing board. This is because of the law, but when i checked i found that other hotels do provide, or have room, so they lied, the iron needs to have an off-timer. This either means they have been misinformed, or they are trying to maximise room laundry profits. Next time i will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nick F
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Nick F

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor following you recent stay at the Meliá Milano. While we are obviously disappointed with your feedback about the service, we genuinely appreciate all your comments as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to ensure our service is highly maintained and I apologize that we have not delivered our usual high standard of service to which you deserve. We hope to see you soon for new experience at the Meliá Milano.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I visited Milan in June 2013 for a little getaway with some friends. We were recommended this hotel because it was in a 'serene' part of Milan. Though serene, it is far from the centre-centre. Furthermore, what was most unpleasant is that I was recommended a restaurant by the concierge, which turned out to be the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we asked for. We asked for a local, Milanese speciality restaurant. What we got was a tourist restaurant, in which there was not one Italian guest. The food was standard, but definitely overpriced. It shows how little consideration the staff have for the guests.

The rooms were normal, but lacked natural light. The beds were definitely too soft - we accounted having some back problems afterwards.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Gerard K S

Many thanks for taking the time to post your Experience about your recent stay at the Meliá Milano, we always appreciate feedback. We regret that our concierge service was not up to your expectations. All of your comments have been taken on board. As we strive to constantly provide a high level of service, we are always keen to hear about your experience, even the points you may feel are small, so thank you for this. For your future stay we would like to recommend you to try our Executive category room with access to The Level Lounge for an exclusive and individual experience. Visit our website melia.com for the best available rates. It would be great to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is a nice hotel if you are attending an event at San Siro Stadium. I had a beautiful room with a huge bathroom. Everything was very comfortable. If you are a Melia member, you get free wi fi so make sure your join before your stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BonJoviGroupie
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear BonJoviGroupie

Thank you for reviewing your experience following you recent stay at the Meliá Milano Hotel. We were delighted to read your comments and your recognition of the hotel location which is just few minutes away from the San Siro stadium. Many, many thanks! We very much look forward to welcoming you back for the next concert or for the next football match. You can always find our best offers and special promotions on our home website melia.com.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Can't say enough about the excellent support the hotel provided to help our shipment through italian customs ( trade show collateral) . Hotel itself is ornately decorated with enormous rooms and has a restaurant and bar. The room itself was well equipped had normal closet and shelf storage and with an enormous bathroom but absolutely no storage area for cosmetics etc. The metro (Lotto Fiera) is a 5 minutes walk from hotel on a direct line to duomo and a 5 min walk to conference center MiCo. There are very limited eating opportunities for dinner nearby (august shutdown?) but the 15 min metro ride provided access to the city spots. The bar at the melia is excellent including the bartender ( ex basketball player) who was friendly and great. I can't say i would recommend the restaurant at the hotel which is separate from the bar and the breakfast room. For breakfast there was a large selection of food every morning including an egg station for those who wanted other than scrambled. During my visit I had to keep reminding the cook about my egg order two days in a row. Somehow he would take my order and forget it ( egg white omelet - too complicated? And then move onto making others egg orders that came after mine. If you have a conference in MiCo this is probably the nicest local place to stay

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear June K

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you had such a good experience of the hotel and it is always great to hear that our guests have fully embraced the facilities which we offer, which it certainly sounds like you have! Our team will be delighted to know that you appreciate our high standard of service. We always looking forward to welcome you again in the nearest future! Don’t forget to like our Facebook page at Meliá Milano for our latest news. See you soon!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. The appearance of this hotel is very luxurious, baroque elegance of course, but personally I find that everything that is not strictly "modern" has a superior charm. The reception staff are efficient and courteous. The rooms, decorated with stucco and marble are spacious, tastefully decorated, warm and welcoming. The very comfortable bed, separated from the entrance area also elegantly furnished with armchairs and coffee table, a writing desk.
The subway is within short walking distance from the hotel. Rooms are a lot more cozy and romantic than on pictures.
Overall a great place to enjoy your holidays in Milan.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lacuks
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Lacuks

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We’re are very much pleased to hear about your Experience with us and thank you for letting us know that we exceeded your expectations! The hotel’s five-star luxury is clearly evident in every little detail and makes it a unique, reserved, and relaxing ambient where the staff will take care of everything. You right, Meliá Milano is an excellent base for discovering Milan thanks to fantastic access to any part of the city. We looking so much forward to welcome you soon. Don’t forget to like our Facebook page at Meliá Milano for our latest news!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here over ferragosto (the Italian holiday). I was greeted in English so I spoke in English (I've lived in Italy and speak fluent Italian). I asked where was open during 15th August (as lots of places are closed on this day) and they said they could get me a list if I wanted it. They said that the restaurant in the hotel was open but I pointed out that it was expensive (15 Euros for minestrone, 17 Euros for the cheapest pasta dish). I was told these were normal prices for Milan. I don't know if the staff genuinely believe that these are normal prices for Milan or if they just wanted to make money out of me as they thought I would not know any better but I found it quite annoying, especially when I found a 'spizzico' and 'ciao' restaurant 10 metres from the hotel that the staff failed to inform me about (which was open all day on the 15th by the way, the lady in there said they are always open).

Breakfast was not included in the room I booked but I was told that I could have it for 32 Euros, which is far too much (I don't know what it was, maybe it was a plate of pasta and a bowl of minestrone!). I got wifi free as I became a rewards member which was fair enough although I can't understand how many lesser starred hotels offer wifi for free with no strings attached. The room I was given had a balcony but I found there was a concrete barrier blocking the view (quite seriously to see the view you have to crouch down on your hands and knees). I asked to change but was told all the rooms with balconies had this barrier for health and safety reasons so I chose a room without a balcony. This would normally be considered sacrilidge, giving up a balcony, but this barrier made it like a windowless room. The other thing that annoyed me was the minibar had an automatic charge so if anything was removed it was automatically charged to the room. This meant I could not use the fridge for my own use at all as if I moved any bottles they would have gone on my bill.

There were also ants in my room. When I got back from a night out there was a crumb on the floor and there were about 30 or so ants on it. I told the desk in the morning and by the man's reaction it did not come as a surprise which is not good for a 5-star hotel.

On a positive note it was a nice hotel, clean room, comfy bed. The TV had English channels as well (Channel 4, Channel 5). The barman was friendly and it was luxurious (there was a Lamborghini in the foyer, although I think Ferruccio Lamborghini designed his cars to be driven rather than just sit there in hotel foyers! It was right beside the metro stop.

I wouldn't stay here again. It's not a 5-star hotel, it's a 4-star with a Lamborghini parked in the foyer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear jfogarty

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We apologize as we can see that we have not been able to satisfy your expectations during your stay with us at the Meliá Milano. Our clients’ satisfaction is extremely important for the entire team that’s why we take good note of all of your comments in order to improve our service. We are terribly sorry to read about all inconveniences you have experienced during your time with us. Please rest assured that your comments have already been discussed and we are already working on improving the standards on the mentioned areas. We would like to invite you to come back to our property and book our Executive category room with access to the executive lounge “THE LEVEL” for a more exclusive experience. Visit our website melia.com for special rates and promotions. We very much hope to see you back at Meliá Milano Hotel and our hotel team will be pleased to ensure that your next stay with us would be a memorable one!