“Good location”
Review of Regina Hotel

Regina Hotel
Ranked #146 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed in Milan for only one night. We found the Regina Hotel to be well located for walking to the Duomo, "La Ultima Cena", shopping and some nice restaurants. Upon arrival, the person at the front desk was very unhelpful. He minimally answered each question that I asked, but with nothing more. He didn't volunteer any information including the hotel location on the city map that he only provided once I requested one. The next morning we had much better luck with a very nice and helpful women at the front desk. She was great! The room was good sized and the bathroom was large. Rooms were clean and adequate. Wifi was available, but only for a single device to sign on. (three iphones and an iPad in our group and only one was able to connect. Oh well, not a big deal for one night. If we had stayed longer, this would have been really annoying.)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I discovered that hotels in Milan are pricey, even for a 3-4 star rating. I chose this hotel for it's proximity (well at least near enough /walking distance) to the il doumo Milan, and tram lines outside the hotel doors. Again, I wasn't disappointed at all! The hotel itself is by the street, an old establishment, but very homey. My sons and I got a very huge triple room with a huge bathroom...that alone was already a PLUS! It's state of cleanliness was an Extra Bonus! Most important for me was the friendly service of the staff, they welcomed us like family. There's one particular old robust lady staff (sadly I forgot her name!) who was sooo motherly and was very endearing to us. She does a lot for the hotel...from showing us to our room, cleaning our room, and serving us breakfast! (I must say...breakfast was good, coffee was great & their hot chocolate was excellent!). Very cheerful persona, she hovered over us like we were royalty. My sons said she's akin to Mrs. Potts of "Beauty & the Beast". A true GEM! She really made us feel like we're at HOME! A fat tip was so little compared to her personal care...and we got no less than a hug from her in return. Talk about personal touch!

Room Tip: We got a Triple Room, so I can't say if other rooms and bathrooms are big as well.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights at the end of our holiday. It was the most expensive of the hotels we stayed in (the others were in Paris, Florence, Rome and a converted castle in Gargonza) and while it was fine, the others were a much better experience even at a much cheaper price.

Good points:
8) Proximity to main city centre,
9) Free Wifi offered.

Negative points:
1) Air conditioning unit was poor and didn't work well on a stuffy evening,
2) We were street side and the cars and trams made the room vibrate late into the night and early morning (we were on the fourth floor),
3) Wi-fi reception in the room was practically non-existent. Gave up in the end (At least we didn't have to pay for it).
4) Hotel fire alarm went off late at night on our first night, but nothing went off in the room to suggest it was a fire alarm in the hotel. You could hear a beeping noise, coming from somewhere arbitrary (sounded like it was a shop burglar alarm outside in the street) and after about five minutes of it not stopping, it was only a cursory peep into the hallway to see that the fire alarm at the end of the hallway was flashing. Nothing flashing in the room and no audible words like 'fire: please evacuate' or something similar. Thankfully, it turned out to be a false alarm from someone having a ciggie in their room. Only us and one other couple actually evacuated to the reception area, which made us wonder if we were the only guests in the entire hotel at 11:00pm or whether others, like us, didn't realise it was a fire alarm going off. Food for thought if a real fire were to occur.

In summary: Fine, but nothing special. Stayed in much cheaper hotels in other European cities that had a nicer 'feel' to them and something really needs to be done about the fire alarms.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desertorkid
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This small hotel is located in an interesting area of Milan, with two tram lines out front that will get you quickly to the Duomo (also walkable) and the Castello/Brera zones. Very clean with a very accommodating, friendly staff. The breakfast is superior and the espressos/ cappuccinos are so much better than the usual dreck. I left an envelope with a fair amount of cash in it and when I got home, I had a message waiting for me that it had been found! When I lived in Milan, my mother stayed here. The rooms are small, but I don't care. The Wifi is free and works. I stayed in an inner room because I wanted quiet and I got it. A good experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way to Lake Como. The hotel had a great bed and was centrally located to sights in Milan. Very handy to Cordona rail station if you take the train from Malpensa Airport, The room was very quiet and the breakfast was fine. A good find.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoMorgan69
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The best thing about this decent value for money hotel is its location. It's twenty minutes' walk from Cadorna rail station (direct trains to Malpensa airport): barely ten minutes from Sant Ambrogio metro (direct line to the Central Station and airport buses); and about fifteen minutes to the Duomo and main shopping streets.

The are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, including a great "organic" pizzeria - sadly it's mainly a takeaway so you will be lucky to get one of the few tables. The public areas are spacious and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet (downstairs in the basement) varied and good. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but mine (room 401) could have done with refurbishing - the hair dryer had the yellowing plastic look of something that has been there for a long, long time. The lift is a tad arthritic, too. The staff are helpful, and if you are on a modest budget you could do far worse in this expensive city. I will certainly stay again.

Couple of tips. Don't miss a walk along the Duomo roof, especially if it's sunny, and then head to Rinascente department store immediately alongside for the best of Italian shopping and food - it makes Harrods look like Sainsbury's. Try the rooftop bar, if you have deeper pockets than I do. Other tip is to watch out for little helpers at the ticket vending machines in Central Station metro. They lurk sleazily waiting to offer "advice" to anyone who hesitates, and then expect a tip for doing so. If you give in it can double the cost of your (very cheap) ticket, and actually prolongs the vending process. And you really don't need help, as the machines are easy to use and feature multilingual touch screens. Brush them off if you feel assertive, or thank them politely and move on swiftly without tipping them.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room overlooking the (quite busy) street. I had 401 towards the back.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Byron R
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm a terrible hotel sleeper, usually tossing and turning and not getting enough shut eye. But not in this case. Admittedly I was exhausted after a very early start the same day but I slept really well at the Regina. The room (409) was probably the quietest I've ever had with zero external noise at all. So I would definitely stay here again. It's a 10/15 minute walk from Duomo and as some nice restaurants nearby. For the rest the hotel is fine, and the breakfast was really good with excellent service. I will definitely return on my next visit to Milan.

Room Tip: Room 409 was incredibly quiet. And the pasta restaurant over the road looks cheap, but the Arrabiata...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business