“Best Service Possible”

Best Western Hotel Astoria
Ranked #130 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I would like to thank all of the staff, for being so hospitable during our stay. They really went above and beyond to make recommendations on restaurants, travel arrangements within Milan, and researching for us on the internet.

The rooms are clean and well maintained. I only wish the internet was a little bit faster, but overall I was very impressed.

2  Thank Jeffrey Y

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Pros: Clean room and clean bedding. Polite and helpful staff (except for one receptionist)

Cons: Breakfast, noise and I was bit by a mosquito in the room (but not outside of the hotel)

I was woken up by hoovering twice in the morning - very annoying. Not the cleaner's fault but nonetheless..Also no sound proofing from the room next door. I could hear every toilet flush and the shower being used and even snoring. Terrible.

Breakfast was a joke for vegetarians. The soft cheese was sat between the ham on either side of it (all touching) so I couldn't eat it. The scrambled eggs were in the same covered dish as the bacon and one spoon was being used between the two - so I couldn't eat the eggs. I was gutted. I could only have a cold breakfast and that meant starting each day feeling quite unfulfilled. I paid for a 4* hotel but received a 2* breakfast. Not good value.

The breakfast staff were fine. They made us fresh coffees including capaccinos (the first one I ordered came to me cold but was quickly replaced when I pointed this out). Other choices were cereal, what looked like tinned fruit (peaches in syrup), toast (which was awful because the grill thing overcooked it every time), packaged sponge cake (tasted very funny) and packaged biscuits, and freshly made cake which was delicious (yes cake for brekkie!).

We paid for our hotel via a travel agent (together with our flights). We booked through independant holidays - I DONT recommend them, they made so many mistakes and didnt respond to emails. They were really poor.

On exit the man behind the reception desk wouldnt let us leave, saying that he had not received payment from the agent. I said firmly I wouldnt be paying again - I had an email printout from the travel agents (a "hotel voucher") that stated "do NOT charge the guests, payment has been made via our company credit card". The email also had the agent's details on it but the hotel man wouldnt budge. He told me to call the agent and sort it out! Cheek! I told him to do it himself, he had a phone. After half an hour of waiting around the incompetant agency finally told the hotel that they had sent payment confirmation via email "to another email address" and we were able to leave.

Although this could have happened to anyone and i understand the hotel needed to ensure it was paid, the hotel didnt apologise for keeping us waiting around and didnt really pay attention to the hotel voucher I had. I wasnt impressed with this particular staff member (an older man with grey hair and glasses) but I can assure you that all of the other reception staff were really excellent. Two females and one other male also served us on reception during our stay and they were very polite, very helpful and spoke great English. I liked them alot and this kind of service makes a stay enjoyable.

The major downside with this hotel is the distance from the centre. It means taking a metro train several stops from duomo and other areas and then another 10 min walk to the hotel. Its only 10 mins but after a long day out it was exhausting to have to walk on from the metro to the hotel. The centre of Milan had more choices for food and gelato so we found ourselves travelling from the hotel to the centre twice a day (i was so tired). We saw hotels in and around the centre of milan that we would have preferred to stay in and would have avoided the walking and travelling back and forth. Two of these were also Best Westerns! I recommend you look up the locations of all the Best Westerns in Milan and pick one closer to Duomo - otherwise you will have quite a tiring stay if you are there to see Milan.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a bath - the bathrooms are bigger
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We booked this hotel for the Milano Unica Convention for its location.

pros:
- clean place
- friendly and good staff
- near fieramilanocity center
- great breakfest
- everything that you'd expect from a 3star hotel/entry level 4star

cons (not dealbreakers) :
- price/value
- 10minute walk from nearest metro station
- very poor wifi(almost unusable)
- towels had an unpleasent smell (as if they stood in the kitchen)

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Bandi87
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was in Milan last May, stayed in Astoria hotel about 7 days, i enjoyed it, every thing was good apart from the shower which is too small.. The room clean, breakfast was nice, and the staff friendly.. The location also good, just walking distance from the train station.. I recommend this place to anyone want to visit Milan..

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I got a great deal on the internet for this hotel and was a little worried what it was going to be like but on my arrival i found it spotless, the rooms clean and fresh bedding each day.
The staff where great and i have to say very helpful Andrea was more than helpful advising us where to eat and the best way to get around.

If you want to watch anything in the San Siro i would advise anyone to book this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Booked this hotel for a Bruce Springsteen concert. While not in the heart of Milan you do have access to trolley right behind hotel and with a little walk to the subway. Staff was nice and helpful and you can walk to San Siro in about 20 mins.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank myyanks
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel was chosen for its proximity to the San Siro Stadium. It was still a fair walk but to be fair it was as close as you can get. The hotel itself was nice. The rooms were clean and quiet if a little small. The bathroom was modern but again the shower was on the small side. Having said that, it was a perfectly acceptable room with Ipod docking station, flat screen tv, electric black out blinds and room safe. Breakfast was good with the choice of omlette or scrambles eggs in addition to the fruit, cold meats, cakes (!) etc

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends