“What can I say? I wish I could move this hotel with me....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Yard Hotel

The Yard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 429 Hotels in Milan
Jefferson City, Missouri
“What can I say? I wish I could move this hotel with me....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My family and I stayed there after vising Germany and Venice. We only stayed 2 days, as we were only flying out of Milan, and yet, my entire family wished we could have stayed at this hotel during our entire vacation. It was a little hard to find, granted, the hotel is in a courtyard and not visible from the road, but once inside, you could not ask for a home away from home. It was better than we ever imagined! There is a comfortable living room, with a dog, in which to enjoy a cool drink and some fantastic comany (and a dog). The rooms were unique and very homey while the common rooms bred discussions with others staying in this wonderful hotel. After our stay, we had to leave at 3 o'clock in the morning to make our flight. Once Maira (at the hotel) knew, she told us she would meet us to let us out and reset security. We got up, and met in the living room to check out (at the crack of dawn) and leave, and Maria met us with Capacinos and breakfast bags including all all my kid's favorites! All they could talk about (instead of nagging about waking up so early) was how awesome Maria and the hotel was. I could not recommend them enough!

Room Tip: If traveling with a large group or young children, be sure to get a large room or rooms that are clo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Michelle S
Alessandro C, Responsabile reception at The Yard Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
DearvSir/Madam,

We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found it a home away from home.
This is exactly what we want to achieve. Being hiddenn in one of Milans may courtyards, we are a little tricky to find, but like this we can make sure to offer you a relaxing stay.
Glad to hear you liked our little doggie as well, she gives that little extra warmth to The Yard.

Thank you for taking tome and writing such a kind and detailed review.
It is very helpful for us to know what our Guests appreciated the most.

Our kindest regards and hope to welcome you back in the fututre.

Front Dsek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

It was an unforgettable experience! We have never been in such a hotel. Its a five star boutique hotel. So unique , homey and comfortable. Very clean, the rooms are good size for European standards.

Staff is so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

It makes us very happy you find your stay with us an unforgettable experience!
Thank you for taking time to write us a review, and we hope to welcome you back to The Yard in the fututre.

Our kindet regards,

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at The Yard. The decor was fantastic, our room was spacious and comfortable (the Penthouse) for my husband, daughter, and myself. Our only wish would be that the spacious suite-like room would have had a complete wall (rather than a wall with a large cut-out) between the bedroom and sitting room areas. That way, my daughter could have had more privacy and the bedroom would have been a bit more separated from the TV. The Penthouse had a spacious balcony area, and we did not notice any noise from other rooms or the outside.

The common areas downstairs are spacious and comfortable, with multiple semi-private sitting areas including one with a big screen TV which had an American news channel, as well as the World Cup games in the evenings. Since we were traveling by over-night trains, we arrived early and departed late, so we appreciated being able to enjoy the common areas and free wifi both before and after check in/out. The staff were friendly and helpful - it remains to be seen if the owner's prediction of Argentina to win the World Cup will hold!

Overall, my only complaint about The Yard are the multiple emails I have received in the last few days 'reminding' (begging?) me to review the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your kind words.
We are delighted you liked our decor and service.

As for the mail requesting a review, we apologize for that. They where sent out multiple times due to a system error, we completely understand that was bothering.
We very much like to hear our Guests thoughts about us, but absolutely do not want to make anyone feel forced to write.

Our kindest regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This unique hotel filled with antiques and collectors items was a simply amazing place to stay in bustling Milan. We were traveling with two small children and were concerned about the suitability of the hotel but for no reason.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Alessandro C, Responsabile reception at The Yard Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

we are delighted you and your family enjoyed you stay with us.
Thank you for writing a review and letting us know what you think.

Our kindest regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Can't say enough about this place. It's a little on the pricey side, but I felt it was money well spent. Great neighborhood, near excellent restaurants and bars, delicious breakfast, spotless rooms, and helpful employees. I had vintage skis and sleds in my room! And quite possibly the best shower in Milan. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Rooms

2 Thank K-rak76
Dear Madam,

wondeful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!
Thank you for lettin gus know yout thoughts on The Yard.

hope to welcome you back some day!

Kindest regards,

Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My expectations were way too high after reading these reviews. My mom and I arrived to The Yard about 30 mins after our taxi driver dropped us off close by but not right in front of the hotel (which is not right on the street but slightly further back). We literally wandered north, then south over and over as we could not find the hotel (in the rain with our heavy luggage too). No one (not even business owners in the area) knew where this place was. Not off to a good start. I was lucky enough to get a business owner to call the Yard and I asked the receptionist to meet us at the nearby McDonalds and take us to the hotel.

When we arrived, our room was ready early (thank goodness because we were soaked). We were staying in the "Touch-Down" football room. It was on the main floor (which when I reserved I asked for a room NOT on the main floor). When we entered the room, it was quite small and although the décor inside was cool, it was painted a dark green colour which made the room even smaller looking. There was also a patio but it was very tiny- not enough room for 2 people to enjoy at the same time. The bathroom was the only thing about the room that I was impressed with. The shower was amazing (but don't pull the cord that is hanging in there because apparently that is the "help I've fallen and I can't get up" alarm) I mistook it for the light switch, because there were literally 7 different sets of light switches.

Some positives: Free wifi that worked well, the décor is like everyone says (very very cool), loved the personal family feel of the place including their dog :) Thought the bar and hang out area was very trendy and cool. The outdoor patio in the front was very inviting but never busy unfortunately (could have been a cool hang out scene at night). Location was great (besides not originally being able to find the place). It was about a 15 mins walk from the Duomo and the subway is not too far away. Lots of cool bars a little further north with a young professional crowd.

Some crappy things- no free water, a million light switches, incredibly thin walls (World Cup was on at full volume at 12 midnight and we could definitely hear our neighbours having sex! Hilarious but not when you just took a 12 hour flight and are exhausted). Also the free breakfast is just alright. It only consists of cookies and croissants, coffee and juice (the juice was amazing though) Anything else, there was a charge. I thought the customer service was just alright too. Finally, there was no river visible as there was a ton of construction going on outside the front.

At $456 Euros for 2 nights, booked on booking.com, this hotel did not blow me away. If you are staying here, check your high expectations at the door and perhaps the experience will be amazing. Would I return? No, probably not.

Room Tip: Don't chose a room near the living room (where the T.V is) Walls are thing and it can get loud!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Rooms
3 Thank ilovedgreece
Dear Madam,

Thank you for writing a review on you experience with us, yout thoughts are very valuable to us.
We know it is a little tricky to find us, especially since the city is having work done at the square in front of us. Thus no river visible, this is a constuvtion of the city of Milan, we have no say in this matter!
I rememer when you arrived, it was pooring down! I was the one who met up with you.

It's a shame we did not have the information of your request of higher floor, this probably could have been arranged at the moment of check in had it been asked ( depending on availability ).
We have several sollutions of rooms, if large space is desired, there are other larger sollutions.

Once more, thank you for letting us know your thoughts o nThe Yard.

Kindest regards,

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in The Yard for our 2 night stay in Milan, and could not have been happier with the accommodations and staff. Our stay coincided with my husband's birthday and the amazing staff made him feel like a king. They welcomed us with an upgrade to the nautical themed Penthouse suite, our kids stayed in the stylish car racing themed suite. When we asked the concierge for dinner suggestions she pointed us in the direction to the best italian restaurant we ate at the entire trip (she even told the restaurant that it was my husbands birthday so they surprised us with a 'Happy Birthday' song and cake). The included breakfast was perfect for us, cappuccino, croissant, yogurt, toast and marmalade and hard boiled eggs, but there were other items you could order if you were looking for more. They even brought out a coffee cake with a candle for another round of 'Happy Birthday' with breakfast.

The decor in the lobby was absolutely amazing, and we enjoyed wandering around looking at all the memorabilia while having a fabulous cocktail from the bar (the only place in Italy I was able to get a real Moscow Mule, copper mug and all!). The staff was also extremely helpful in assisting us with our travel arrangements for the next day including suggestions on where to go, how to get there and even where to store our luggage.

Truly a fantastic experience in Milan!!

Room Tip: Let the staff know your favorite sport and you will get a room that will not disappoint with unique...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sir and Madam,

We are delighted you enjoyed you stay with us and that we where able to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. When we get a chance to cuddle our Guests with some special attention it is our pleasure!
Thank you for wirting your thoughts on us, and we are very glad you appreciated the particular details in our hotel and our services.

Our very kindest regards,