“Great hotel and fantastic service”
Review of The Yard Hotel

The Yard Hotel
Ranked #6 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and fantastic service”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my girlfriend for her 30th birthday. I booked tickets for the James Morrison concert and wanted somewhere relatively close to the venue for the concert. This hotel looked fantastic from the photographs already posted and it did not disappoint.

From the minute we arrived, Roberto looked after us superbly well, giving us his mobile number in case we needed anything, booking us into a nearby restaurant for a meal, booking us a taxi, drawing us maps of places to visit - When I asked for an ironing board and an iron, he offered to get our clothes ironed for us too!

We also had a fantastic meal out on the terrace area one night and when it got a bit cooler, the wind breakers were activated and came down and the gas patio heater lit so that we were comfortable while eating our amazing fillet steak meal.

All in all, a great experience, a bit quirky with the themed rooms, but we were looked after superbly well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gman2909

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Singapore
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights, arriving very early and enjoyed every minute in this little haven. Since booking, Roberto has always been prompt in his email reply to my queries. He arranged for a airport transfer and it was a great deal as we were greeted by a professional driver and arrived in style in a Mercedes. The room was not ready but I was offered to take a look at other available rooms in case I want to change my mind about the original booked room. All rooms looked perfect, except that my hubby and I are smokers and we needed a room with balcony so we were served coffee and snacks while we waited for the rooms to be made.

Having stayed in countless hotels, resorts and B&B places, the room size is alright in my opinion. No formal work desk but alternative was available. Sometimes I worked in the big communal dining room as I sipped my coffee and get work done, or sneak outdoor to the nicely decorated patio to enjoy some sun in the mild weather, have a puff and drink at the same time, any coffee or smoker will understand what heavenly feeling that is.

There were power sockets at both sides of the bed, with more extras spaced out in the room. Wifi was included but unstable at times. Bed quality was just right for me. As my room faces the back of building overlooking a garden of the next building, it was extremely quiet all day. No complimentary coffee, tea or water in room, chargeable but at a manageable rate to me (£1 for coffee and £2.50 for bottle water). Breakfast was a little boring after the 2nd day but did it's job. Custom order can be made by the in house chef, like eggs etc but at a charge. Dinner can also be pre-ordered and was told that Thursday through Saturday are best for seafood as all orders are made fresh with seafood bought at the nearby market upon order.

If you book the "BikeMi" bicycles, there are many stations near the hotel. The taxi stand is right across the street from the hotel. Otherwise, you may also get Roberto to book you a cab like we did and he always went online to double check the address ti be sure.

This hotel is very similar to Casa Howard in Florence and Margutta 54 in Rome, both nicely and tastefully decorated and had a homely feel like The Yard. Access to the property is through keys as you would your own house.

We booked a return transfer again upon check out and Roberto again made sure the car arrived in schedule and helped us with the luggage. As other advisors pointed out, book this property if they have the rooms as they are already running full almost everyday the last I checked.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I can't help but think that the guy who gave this hotel a 3 star ranking might have stayed in a different hotel from everyone else who reviewed it. Because The Yard is an absolutely amazing boutique hotel (without a single IKEA light in sight, phones and several plugs in each room), and all the five star reviews on this site - which I read through before booking the hotel, are pretty accurate.

From the exquisitely curated books (travel, music, sport, fashion) and music (played on an ipod with the name of the song projected on the walls as a modern touch) to the eclectic, luxurious and tasteful decor - The Yard is perfection for any design hotel junkie. The hospitality was amazing, with someone always at hand to offer you a fresh cup of cappucino or a home-made tiramisu, we also indulged in a very good home-cooked dinner (steak and pasta) by their in-house chef. The suites are gorgeous, and each was themed to a sport or passion of the owner, Allesandro. We happened to check into the Golf Suite, and my husband who is an avid golfer loved the vintage clubs, gold trophies and treasures that decorated the room. We were also shown the hunting room and the riding room. The Hunting room was my favourite. The neighbourhood is quaint and charming, far from the touristy Duomo area, and there is a taxi stand right outside which makes catching a cab quite convenient. The metro is a 10 minute walk away, but there are also trolley trains which stop by at the corner of the block. The hotel is exceptional value for money. We were told by the owner that the hotel was only 5 months old, and there are plans to expand it with a downstairs lobby and more amenities. LOVE this hotel, will surely return when I go back to Milan. Hope it doesn't become too hard to get a room soon, because it surely will do well based on word of mouth and referrals!

Room Tip: The rooms are all different and have themes like Golf, Rugby, Hunting, Riding - so choose your favou...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jetsetter741
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Ok design,but not luxurious,no phones in the rooms,and noisy hallways.Very wierd set up,feels like you are in an office block......No plugs by desks...and Ikea lighting........oh well it was worth a try

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank markwlugano
Paris, France
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stayed for two nights on a business trip - wish I could have stayed longer and enjoyed the place more.

Was welcomed by a charming family who just opened this hotel. Rooms are spacious, modern, clean, well-designed and charming. The service is very personalized, food is delicious, feels like being at home but simply much better!

Really recommend the Ralph Suite to anyone who wants to avoid the grotty overpriced hotels near the Duomo. This is a 15 minute walk away in a nice area, incomparably better accommodation and service, and in most cases cheaper.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 9, 2011

You will be reading about the Ralph very shortly on every good site and quality International designer glossy magazine.

I stay in a lot of hotels; I was in Milan on Sunday, Bangkok Tuesday and now in Singapore today Thursday etc. . Never posted on this site before, use it very often but never shared my experiences. This one has got me typing...

Alessandro has created a rare gem within Milan’s bustling streets. This is a true find from the welcome to the decor to the food to the rooms this hotels fabric has been painstakingly created with the guests pleasure, desires and comfort firmly in front of mind. If you are a Boutiquer you will love The Ralph, if you are a 5 star Four Seasoner - treat yourself to some Italian love care and attention.

If the obscure concept of being treated like a guest in beautiful surroundings with your every requirement being a pleasure The Ralph is for you. If not, you should keep to staying in hotels.

Allesandro I salute you!

Room Tip: treat yourself- its worth it
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank pmcheck12
Seoul
Reviewed November 1, 2011

we had a great experience for two nights there. we arrived late in the evening and were totally tired. the staff realized that and treated us very nicely with a room-upgrade and a free bottle of champagne, just as a start.

the interior of the lobby were awesome and totally stylish, with a general concept of living-room/family, not a sterile hotel lobby.

the rooms were also quite nice, new and generous. at night it was a little bit loud due to other guests, but in general we had no complaints.

the breakfast was also eaten at a shared huge table with other guests, which was quite nice and gave the opportunity to chat about the experience and also the city.

finally, the location is quite nice, as there are few/no hotels at this price-point in the center of the city.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple