“Great "neighbourhood" restaurant where locals go!”

Ristorante Borromeo
Ranked #2,167 of 8,318 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro Storico
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We didn't know what to expect walking along the little streets away from the touristic Duomo area but it certainly was a great surprise. We were turned away from the first restaurant we approached because it was a Saturday night and we didn't have reservations BUT Piazza Borromeo made room for us and gave us a great table for two. It turned out to be a popular haunt for many locals who appeared to be regulars there. Almost every customer who came into the restaurant were met personally by the owner (we think) and / or his assistant. There were hugs and niceties exchanged and they were obviously familiar with each other - and no wonder, because this would be a restaurant I would keep coming back to if I lived in Milan because the food was great and the atmosphere was relaxed even though the restaurant was not very large and filled to the brim. The owner (?) and his assistant were friendly and the food didn't take long to come after we ordered.

Their complimentary bread was great and they even brought us a second basket once we almost finished the first basket they brought :) Hubby and I shared an ensalata caprese which was very creatively presented in a tower. Fresh mozzarella cheese was used throughout even on hubby's pizza. My spaghetti with clams was very tasty and I enjoyed every morsel. And of course - the homemade tiramisu was heaven. Not surprising at all!

All this and the bill was very very reasonable. Highly recommended restaurant off the tourist track.

There are newer reviews for Ristorante Borromeo

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Booked in advance following recommendations from Trip Advisor, so we were expected and not speculative off the street visitors. They have a good menu with handwritten daily specials. Had to ask for wine list and water at this stage. Food was quality. Waiter was at best useless. Not once were we approached for anything. The attentive owner mentioned in previous posts seemed in attendance but lacking any meaningful purpose. We weren't offered more drinks, our wine was not poured and we didn't even get to see a dessert menu after 45 mins of waiting. The irony being that many of the desserts were already made and on a trolley, so in effect going to waste. So after looking forward to the previously recommended table caramelised crime brûlée we left. There was a good €20 more in us that they could have had for the asking. Incompetent or just rude? Really don't know, but if I were the chef I'd be mad!

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Located in a small square near Duomo area but hidden away from the main streets this restaurant is a little gem. The food was excellent. Their pizza is very thin and made with real buffalo mozzarella, not the industrial stuff you get around Doumo square. Their home made tiramisu is the best I've ever eaten. I recommend this place if you want to get good food at reasonable prices.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Piazza Borromeo is a neighbourhood place serving a wide variety of dishes and including pizza. It is reasonably priced (77 euros for a glass of beer, glass of wine, two starters, two veal cutlets and sides, coffee but no dessert) and would be quite cheap for say a shared pizza and a couple of glasses of wine. Service is casual and friendly, food is good, ambience is peasant without being particularly inspiring. It is open Sunday nights when many places are not.
Overall a good low key option, particularly if you are looking for something less formal and lighter.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband & I recently ate here and had a delicious dinner. The owner was very helpful in recommending wines to go with the dinner and was friendly in every way. The pasta, veal, and osso bucco were great. We would recommend it.