“Loved Milan and Hated this Hotel”
Review of Hotel Garda

Hotel Garda
Ranked #186 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved Milan and Hated this Hotel”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is located very close to the train station which is why I decided to stay here. However, the staff wasn't friendly and helpful at all. The room was small and didn't strike me as the most clean or updated room. The shower was very odd in the room and didn't have a divided area from the toilet so water went everywhere when I showered. This hotel charges for Internet and they charge per device so if you have a phone and a computer be prepared to pay for both.

So one night I decided to take the stairs down being the elevator is only big enough for 1-2 person and is very slow. While walking down the stairs the lights were out at the bottom so i tripped down the last couple of steps and broke my phone as it hit the floor just as hard as I did. So after returning from a drink at a local bar I found the door to enter the hotel was locked and I begin to ring the buzzer. 10 minutes after standing in the rain a very grumpy old man came and let me in. I wasn't happy! I don't recommend this hotel to others and I will not stay here ever again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ATLtoEUR767

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sparta, New Jersey
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We traveled as a couple to northern Italy in late October, 2012. We stayed one night at the Garda at the beginning of our trip and we booked our last 3 nights there when Superstorm Sandy caused our original return flight to cancel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel's map of the city was all we needed to find our way to all our Milan distinations. By the end our our 2 week trip, we knew that a 5 euro charge per each 24 hours to access the lobby computer was a good deal. Our rate did not include breakfast, but Nico's up the street provides what you need. The location of this hotel is great. It's on a quiet street, but close to the Central Train Station and in walking distance to restaurants and a grocery store. The nearest metro stop is a block away. The rooms are small by American standards, but the price is good. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #108 for 1 night, then in room #106 almost 2 weeks later for 3 nights. While both...
Corfu, Greece
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Despite the fact that this hotel is located only 400 meters from the central railway station in Milan centre that also is the base for all the buses to and from the airports this hotel had nothing else to offer.Firstly we had booked and payed (no cancelling/refund as it was promotion) for this stay in early september through a well known internet booking site.the exact booking was for a refurbished room also stated in the booking form.when we arrived what we got was a ground floor room that was also the first in the alley leading to the rest of the ground floor rooms.what was wrong about it?i had arranged a 4:20 bus and therefore need to rest early in the evening but couldnt do so because of the hotel bar/caffeteria located next to our room and all the buzz deriving from its customers.Secondly,the room wasnt refurbished at all on the contrary it looked like it hadnt seen a redecoration since the '80s,the bathroom since the '70s and the view marvellous as it ovelooked something that looked like the hotels heating unit.Thirdly the heating was mainly distributed in the room by two radiators that were simply underperforming plus an airconditioning unit so old it could easily fit into a museum and that i simply couldnt make it work just in order to give that little extra heating in the room.Finally the internet as usually happens to the great hotel chains but seems out of date when happens to smaller hotels, is not free but charged at rate of 1 euro per half an hour session or so.I have to say thought i did not complaint at all to the hotel management because i only used this hotel for a good sleep's time so it felt as unecessary to do so since the length of my stay was limited to half a day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pastitsada
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was bitten with 6 red marks on my neck when I stayed at this hotel last week of Oct 2012. I had to disinfect all my belongings after I returned from Milan. It was an unbearable endeavor that no one wants to go through for two nights spent at the hotel. OK value if you do care about bed bug.

Tom

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels

Victoria
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were very pleased with our 2 night stay at Hotel Garda this summer. The service was very good, everyone was kind and responsive to our needs and requests. We stayed in a "comfort room" which was basic but very nice, clean and quiet. The location is excellent, easy walking distance to the train station and close to a metro stop. Good value. We booked through their website and got a discount. We had 3 rooms in total and everyone was of the same opinion. Basic clean rooms, good value, good location, exactly what was required. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Awful smell left after 2 minutes and booked into another hotel, very poor quality. Staff didnt seem surprised when we left. Not three star at all bad value for money. Ok if you were expecting a one star hotel.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during a recent trip to Milan to see the Grand Priz at Monza. Understandibly as it was a peak time in Milan the room rates were a lot higher than normal. We paid aprox £220 for the Saturday night, £160 for the Sunday and £100 for the Sunday night. This is a good 3 star hotel. Great location near the train and under ground stations. Acceptable clean (basic) room, friendly reception staff. Near some nice places to eat. The rubbish truck coming down the street emptying the bins very early in the morning woke us on two out of three mornings. However when you have paid that much for a room in a 3 star hotel you cannot say it is good value. That said if we came back at an off peak time we would consider staying again depending on what other hotels were offering at the time and the cost of staying here. If you want a basic hotel in a goo location I would recommend if the price was right.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple