“Another Excellent Break”

ADI Doria Grand Hotel
Ranked #108 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This was our third visit to Milan in four years and having previously stayed at the ADI Doria Grand we automatically chose to stay there again.

The hotel is very convenient for Milan Central Railway Station and airport coaches to Malpensa and Bergamo though this means that it is some way out of the actual city centre. However, the nearest Metro Station and tram stop are close by, and tram number 1 will take you to the centre in a matter of minutes. It is also convenient for the nearby shopping street of Corso Bueno Aires, less than five minutes walk away.

Check in staff were efficient and professional and they had found our reservation before we managed to extract our paperwork!

Although we were on the second floor at the front of the hotel this time, there was little or no traffic noise and, as expected, the room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. It should be noted that the hotel is traditional Liberty styled and rooms feature beautiful dark woods and large traditional bathroom - none of your trendy boutique styling here! We found the whole effect quite pleasing.

The buffet breakfast was typical continental style and was more than adequate for our needs with a wide variety of bread rolls, pastries, meats, cheese etc. available along with hot scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage.

With many eateries around the city, we didn't take our evening meals in the hotel but chose to eat out.

Check-out was equally efficient and as we had an evening departure from the city, it was possible to leave our luggage at the hotel and collect it on the way to catch the airport coach.

We would not hesitate to recommend the Doria Grand and would certain stay at the hotel again should we come to Milan for a 4th visit!

Room Tip: In our experience, most rooms have been of similar size and layout and although there is absolutely...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trolleyman81
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you for taking the time to write these kind comments about your recent stay.
We are delighted to know was your third time at the Doria Grand Hotel.

The mission of ADI Hotels is the passion for Hospitality, therefore we are pleased to read your kind comment about the efficiency and the competence of our Staff, they always try to offer and guarantee the best service possible to all of our Guests.
Furthermore it is a great pleasure read the comments regarding the Style of our property and that you have appreciated the new woods on the floor.

We are glad you will recommend us to your friends and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for the fourth time!

My Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for ADI Doria Grand Hotel

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We chose the Doria Grand Hotel in Milan because of its location to the Milano Centrale train station. It is a 15 minute walk with luggage in a safe, quiet neighborhood.

We were very impressed with the quality of the rooms ~ beautiful wood features, huge bathroom with a tub! The tub was a treat after being in smaller bathrooms in Italy. The place is immaculate and the beds were extremely comfortable. Definitely 4-star quality.

The staff were so friendly and helpful. They truly enjoyed helping us with our questions and packed us a breakfast for our early checkout the next morning. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank D_Otter50

Dear D_Otter50,

thank you for sharing with us and with the Tripadvisor community such a kind feedback of your recent experience at the Doria Grand Hotel. We were delighted to read your comments about the hotel location which is just few meters away from the Central Railway Station and the proximity to the 3 metro lines, indeed MM1 Loreto, MM2 Caiazzo and MM3 Centrale are in easy walking distance from the hotel, from which you quickly reach any other part of the city.
We are really glad that you have liked the style of our property, the quality of our rooms, the bathroom in white marble of Carrara and that you have appreciated the Staff helpfulness and the friendliness.

We would like to thank you once again for the nice review you have shared and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I booked this hotel as the rates seemed reasonable and the hotel was within walking distance of the main railway station,where I traveled to from Malpensa airport on the Malpensa Express.
The hotel staff were professional and efficient and although I can speak a little Italian, it was great that their English was very good.
I had a double room on a non smoking floor,therefore there was no odor from cigarettes lingering
in curtains, fixtures and fittings.
The bathroom was great, with bidet, shower over bath plus hand shower and taps on bath.The water pressure was excellent and the water was always very hot.
Breakfast was included and there was a very good choice of pastries,meats,cheeses,fruits and yoghurts.There was also cereals.
Scrambled eggs(made with reconstitued powder,not fresh eggs), sausage and bacon were also available.Unfortunately despite being regularly replenished none of this was ever hot.This is such a shame as the staff work so hard.I think the problem lies with the container that the food is served in....it does not keep the food hot.I ate breakfast at different times during my stay so I beleive I have made a fair observation.
There is a supermarket opposite the hotel where you can buy fresh milk to use with the tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
Overall I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Guilietta
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Madam,

we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this kind feedback of your experience at the Doria Grand Hotel.

We are glad to read that you appreciated the services and the hotel location during your stay.
We hope that the problem of the breakfast did not ruin your overall experience at Doria Grand Hotel and please accept our sincere apologies for this trouble. With the Breakfast Staff we have verified the problem that you have identified and all of our chafing dishes are well-functioning.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Grand Hotel!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We shared an interconnecting double and single room. It was very good. Very quiet, nice mattress, nice bathroom. Breakfast was quite good. We had a late dinner at the bar - it was really, really bad. Don't eat here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear “dublin500”,

Thank you for spending some minutes of your time to write about your recent stay at the Doria Grand Hotel.

We are sorry to read that the dinner at our bar did not meet your expectations and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Hoping to this trouble did not ruin you overall experience at the Doria Grand Hotel, we would like to investigate this case a little further. We would really appreciate it if you could get in touch with a little more details. Please contact us at marketing@adihotels.com.

Thank you very much and Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2014

In general, I will definitely recommend ADI Grand Doria Hotel to friends and colleagues travelling to Milan and I can definitely stay in this hotel again when I go back to Milan.

In summary, I rate the hotel the following:

Location and Accessibility - 4/5
Rooms and Facilities - 3/5
Staff and Services - 4/5
Security - 4.5/5
Price - 4.5/5
Cleanliness - 4/5

Location/Accessibility

ADI Doria Grand Hotel is located at Viale Andrea Doria 22, 20124 Milan. The hotel is conveniently located across the Milan central train station. With the GPS navigator, we also didn’t have a hard time finding the hotel. From the airport, we were told that the hotel is about 53 - 55 km away and you can take the train as a cheapest option.

The hotel is 5-minutewalk to Corso Buenos Aires (a more or less 1.5 km stretch of shops). For us, it was pretty convenient when we did our shopping. Two of my friends just recently recovered from injuries therefore we had to take the cab a lot to go to the tourist sites and restaurants. From the hotel to Duomo, a cab ride usually cost us EUR 10-12.

Rooms and Facilities

We had the classic, double bed, room. As I often say in my hotel reviews, one thing about Europe is that hotel rooms are normally small. In this case, the room size is pretty much with in my expectations of European hotels. The room is pretty, in a classic way, and fully equipped with television, safe box, mini bar, hair dryer, phone, etc… it is a 4-star hotel after all. I was particularly impressed with the bathroom’s size. It was quite spacious. When I was reading reviews about this hotel, I saw some comments that the furniture is old or something like that. The thing is, that’s the hotel’s theme – vintage. One might find the lighting a bit too dark too as they have thick curtains and yellow lights.

A comment though is that we were booked at the 1st floor, which seemed to allow smoking. Although we don’t smell it in our room, the lobby smelled all the time. Therefore, if you don’t like to smell cigarettes first thing in the morning after leaving your room, you might want to ask for a non-smoking floor. Another minor comment was the toiletries (soap, cotton, cotton buds, etc.) – for some reason, we only had one of set of toiletries in the bathroom. I personally don’t mind since I usually bring my own stuff when I travel. However, if there’s one thing that my friend and I needed was a shower cap and they only provided one, I guess for us to share. Moreover, it was a disposable shower cap yet they didn’t change it the entire time. Again, this is a minor detail but just noting it since it was my first time to encounter such problem with a 4-star hotel in Europe.

For the detailed review: http://writtenbyicar.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/hotel-review-adi-doria-grand-hotel-milan-italy/

Room Tip: The 1st floor seems to be a smoking room and you can smell the cigarettes in the lobby. Although the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Icar P

Dear “Icar P”,

thank you for choosing the Doria Grand Hotel for your recent stay in Milano and for taking a few minutes of your time to write such a kind and detailed review.

We are very pleased that you appreciated every details of our Hospitality, the services and the location, the proximity from the Central Train Station and, actually, we are also in the proximity to 3 metro lines, MM1, MM2 and MM3 in easy walking distance from the hotel, from which you quickly reach any other part of the city.

We are glad that you had enjoyed your stay in our Grand Hotel in Milano and we would like to thank you on behalf of all the staff of Doria Grand Hotel for the kind feedback you have shared and for recommend us.
We hope to welcome you again back to the ADI Doria Grand Hotel soon! Please like our Facebook page.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for my one night in Milan before a flight in the morning. I arrived at the hotel at noon and asked if there were any rooms available. I was pleasantly surprised to be given a room immediately. The decoration and furnishings in both the lobby and the rooms has a very cozy old-style feel to them, and the hotel was very clean. It is also very conveniently located a 2-minute walk from two metro stations, and a 10-minute walk from the central station.

This hotel has the potential to be fantastic, but my experience was soured by a couple things:

Firstly, the room keys are a key attatched to a gigantic, heavy, bell-shaped thing with tassels. It looks nice, but you have to leave your room key with the front desk when you leave the hotel. You might be able to carry it with you, but it is big enough and heavy enough to be highly inconvenient. This wouldn't be a problem, but it seems that the front desk will simply give out the key to a room when asked. When I returned to the hotel later, I simply gave my room number and was given the room key -- No ID check, no questions asked, and the front desk member was a different person from the one who checked me in. This made me concerned about the security of the rooms, but perhaps these concerns are unfounded.

Finally, and for me, most vitally, the WiFi was absolutely horrible. To call it internet is doing a disservice to dial-up. It worked intermittently, and a normal webpage (i.e. Google) took between 30-45 seconds to load usually. If you have more than one tab open, you can expect that number to jump to 75 seconds. Every 15-20 minutes, the internet connection would fizzle completely. When I called the front desk to ask them about this, they denied that there was a problem and said they were having no problems and insisted it was a problem with my laptop. Obviously this is not the case, as I had no trouble remaining connected to other WiFi sources for many hours.

All in all, this is a nice hotel if you have no need for their WiFi services. If you do, I suggest looking elsewhere until they fix this glaring problem in an otherwise very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Adam K
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear “Adam K”,

thank you for choosing the Doria Grand Hotel for your recent stay in Milano and for taking a few minutes of your time to write your review.
We are sorry to read that our hotel has the potential to be fantastic, but your experience has not been equal to your expectation.
Our Doria Grand Hotel is a hotel in a classic Liberty Style combined with good old fashioned hospitality and service. For this reason, in the line with the style of the hotel, we have preferred maintain the classic keys and do not introduce the modern key cards. Regarding to what happened at the Reception we are agreed with you, we are sure that it was a misunderstanding, that kind of behaviour does not reflect our usual way of operating.
Regarding to the comments about our Wi-Fi connection I hope that this problem did not ruin your overall experience at Doria Grand Hotel and please accept our sincere apologies for this trouble.

We really hope to have a second chance to welcome you back.
Best Regards,

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel (which is very near in proximity to Milano Centrale Train Station) for 1 overnight. It is a well appointed, clean and very nice hotel. We were particularly pleased that we were allowed to go to our room upon arrival even though we got into Milan early in the morning after a flight from NYC. Check-in was not supposed to be until early afternoon and the management were nice enough to give us the room at 11 a.m. Our room was large and very nice. Breakfast was included and it was extremely nice indeed. The breakfast wait staff consisted of three very nice and efficient ladies who were quick to remove plates and see to it that the breakfast buffet items were replaced when they needed to be. I cannot say enough about the variety at breakfast. I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for either a short or longer stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Edward2651
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear “Edward2651”,

thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the Doria Grand Hotel.
When we read comments such as yours we feel that all our efforts to improve our guests’ stay were worthwhile. We will share your kind words with our Breakfast Staff.

Thank you once again and Warm Regards.