ADI Doria Grand Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
1,070 results
All reviewscentral stationgreat hotelminute walkcorso buenos aireswithin walking distanceclose to the hotelfirst morningfour starroom keyreception staffbreakfast was excellentbeds were comfortablelake comostayed here for nightsthe air conditioningshopping streetshort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 8, 2014

In general, I will definitely recommend ADI Grand Doria Hotel to friends and colleagues travelling to Milan and I can definitely stay in this hotel again when I go back to Milan.

In summary, I rate the hotel the following:

Location and Accessibility - 4/5
Rooms and Facilities - 3/5
Staff and Services - 4/5
Security - 4.5/5
Price - 4.5/5
Cleanliness - 4/5

Location/Accessibility

ADI Doria Grand Hotel is located at Viale Andrea Doria 22, 20124 Milan. The hotel is conveniently located across the Milan central train station. With the GPS navigator, we also didn’t have a hard time finding the hotel. From the airport, we were told that the hotel is about 53 - 55 km away and you can take the train as a cheapest option.

The hotel is 5-minutewalk to Corso Buenos Aires (a more or less 1.5 km stretch of shops). For us, it was pretty convenient when we did our shopping. Two of my friends just recently recovered from injuries therefore we had to take the cab a lot to go to the tourist sites and restaurants. From the hotel to Duomo, a cab ride usually cost us EUR 10-12.

Rooms and Facilities

We had the classic, double bed, room. As I often say in my hotel reviews, one thing about Europe is that hotel rooms are normally small. In this case, the room size is pretty much with in my expectations of European hotels. The room is pretty, in a classic way, and fully equipped with television, safe box, mini bar, hair dryer, phone, etc… it is a 4-star hotel after all. I was particularly impressed with the bathroom’s size. It was quite spacious. When I was reading reviews about this hotel, I saw some comments that the furniture is old or something like that. The thing is, that’s the hotel’s theme – vintage. One might find the lighting a bit too dark too as they have thick curtains and yellow lights.

A comment though is that we were booked at the 1st floor, which seemed to allow smoking. Although we don’t smell it in our room, the lobby smelled all the time. Therefore, if you don’t like to smell cigarettes first thing in the morning after leaving your room, you might want to ask for a non-smoking floor. Another minor comment was the toiletries (soap, cotton, cotton buds, etc.) – for some reason, we only had one of set of toiletries in the bathroom. I personally don’t mind since I usually bring my own stuff when I travel. However, if there’s one thing that my friend and I needed was a shower cap and they only provided one, I guess for us to share. Moreover, it was a disposable shower cap yet they didn’t change it the entire time. Again, this is a minor detail but just noting it since it was my first time to encounter such problem with a 4-star hotel in Europe.

For the detailed review: http://writtenbyicar.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/hotel-review-adi-doria-grand-hotel-milan-italy/

Room Tip: The 1st floor seems to be a smoking room and you can smell the cigarettes in the lobby. Although the smell doesn't go in the room but specially for non-smokers, specifically ask to be placed in a non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Icar P
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear “Icar P”,

thank you for choosing the Doria Grand Hotel for your recent stay in Milano and for taking a few minutes of your time to write such a kind and detailed review.

We are very pleased that you appreciated every details of our Hospitality, the services and the location, the proximity from the Central Train Station and, actually, we are also in the proximity to 3 metro lines, MM1, MM2 and MM3 in easy walking distance from the hotel, from which you quickly reach any other part of the city.

We are glad that you had enjoyed your stay in our Grand Hotel in Milano and we would like to thank you on behalf of all the staff of Doria Grand Hotel for the kind feedback you have shared and for recommend us.
We hope to welcome you again back to the ADI Doria Grand Hotel soon! Please like our Facebook page.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for my one night in Milan before a flight in the morning. I arrived at the hotel at noon and asked if there were any rooms available. I was pleasantly surprised to be given a room immediately. The decoration and furnishings in both the lobby and the rooms has a very cozy old-style feel to them, and the hotel was very clean. It is also very conveniently located a 2-minute walk from two metro stations, and a 10-minute walk from the central station.

This hotel has the potential to be fantastic, but my experience was soured by a couple things:

Firstly, the room keys are a key attatched to a gigantic, heavy, bell-shaped thing with tassels. It looks nice, but you have to leave your room key with the front desk when you leave the hotel. You might be able to carry it with you, but it is big enough and heavy enough to be highly inconvenient. This wouldn't be a problem, but it seems that the front desk will simply give out the key to a room when asked. When I returned to the hotel later, I simply gave my room number and was given the room key -- No ID check, no questions asked, and the front desk member was a different person from the one who checked me in. This made me concerned about the security of the rooms, but perhaps these concerns are unfounded.

Finally, and for me, most vitally, the WiFi was absolutely horrible. To call it internet is doing a disservice to dial-up. It worked intermittently, and a normal webpage (i.e. Google) took between 30-45 seconds to load usually. If you have more than one tab open, you can expect that number to jump to 75 seconds. Every 15-20 minutes, the internet connection would fizzle completely. When I called the front desk to ask them about this, they denied that there was a problem and said they were having no problems and insisted it was a problem with my laptop. Obviously this is not the case, as I had no trouble remaining connected to other WiFi sources for many hours.

All in all, this is a nice hotel if you have no need for their WiFi services. If you do, I suggest looking elsewhere until they fix this glaring problem in an otherwise very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Adam K
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear “Adam K”,

thank you for choosing the Doria Grand Hotel for your recent stay in Milano and for taking a few minutes of your time to write your review.
We are sorry to read that our hotel has the potential to be fantastic, but your experience has not been equal to your expectation.
Our Doria Grand Hotel is a hotel in a classic Liberty Style combined with good old fashioned hospitality and service. For this reason, in the line with the style of the hotel, we have preferred maintain the classic keys and do not introduce the modern key cards. Regarding to what happened at the Reception we are agreed with you, we are sure that it was a misunderstanding, that kind of behaviour does not reflect our usual way of operating.
Regarding to the comments about our Wi-Fi connection I hope that this problem did not ruin your overall experience at Doria Grand Hotel and please accept our sincere apologies for this trouble.

We really hope to have a second chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel (which is very near in proximity to Milano Centrale Train Station) for 1 overnight. It is a well appointed, clean and very nice hotel. We were particularly pleased that we were allowed to go to our room upon arrival even though we got into Milan early in the morning after a flight from NYC. Check-in was not supposed to be until early afternoon and the management were nice enough to give us the room at 11 a.m. Our room was large and very nice. Breakfast was included and it was extremely nice indeed. The breakfast wait staff consisted of three very nice and efficient ladies who were quick to remove plates and see to it that the breakfast buffet items were replaced when they needed to be. I cannot say enough about the variety at breakfast. I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for either a short or longer stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Edward2651
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear “Edward2651”,

thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the Doria Grand Hotel.
When we read comments such as yours we feel that all our efforts to improve our guests’ stay were worthwhile. We will share your kind words with our Breakfast Staff.

Thank you once again and Warm Regards.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel was very Italian. The rooms and bathroom were huge and very clean. Lots of Italian style furniture and paintings made this hotel a pleasure to stay in. Breakfast was plentiful and lots of choice in very pleasant surroundings. Staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Rooms were very quiet. Close to the underground and underground is very easy to use it's all in English. This hotel is in a good area but be prepared for Graffiti everywhere in Milan, I was surprised by it. I would certainly recommend staying here if you are planning a trip to Milan.

Room Tip: Don't really know how
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rose77710
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear “Rose77710”,

thank you so much for taking the time to write about our Doria Grand Hotel.

It gives us great pleasure to read that you appreciated the Liberty Style of the hotel. I know that there aren’t many hotels in Milan that still reflect the golden age of hotel hospitality. In this day and age where most hotels have opted for an ultra-modern look, we have preferred to refurbish our rooms in the traditional style which is in line with our management approach towards our clients – good old fashioned hospitality and service.

Thank you once again for writing about the Doria Grand Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back some time in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had a lovely room on the 8th floor. On a clear day you can see the Alps, beautiful!
Staff all very polite and couldn't do enough for you! Yes the FREE WiFi was rubbish but when you're here to see milan that was the least of our worries. Decor wise, rooms looked dated - dingy lighting with old radios on the walls.
Breakfast isn't the most varied, but filled brioche, yoghurts, toast, cheese, ham, scrambled egg and sausage was fine for us.
Travel wise its great - very near central station especially as airport buses are there but there are some shady characters.... Avoid at night! We bought a 2 day urban metro ticket and used loreto metro station on the street behind the hotel, took us everywhere we needed to be. No need for taxis at all.
Overall the hotel could do with a big refurb but it was clean at least. Watch out for 'city tax' when you come to check out though. Wasn't informed of this on arrival but its 5euros per night which you pay at checkout.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank snowyowl_1989
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear “snowyowl_1989”,

I am sorry to read that in your opinion our property is “dated” and “the hotel could do with a big refurb”.
The Liberty style furnishings and the meticulous attention to details are what give this establishment its particular charm. Its 124 rooms are delicately and elegantly furnished with the highest quality upholstery, bath salt in white Carrara marble, pink Portuguese marble , black marble from Africa and polychrome marble in the lobby, with fine tapestry , precious fabrics Etro , mahogany furniture , stucchi veneziani and other sought after materials of the highest quality .

Over the years the ownership has continuously invested resources in the care and maintenance of a building that has 11 floors of guest rooms and common areas added up to 6 floors of garage.
Last summer 3 meeting rooms have been renovated and in these days we are working on the first 3 floors. We will restyle the floor and we place a new carpet in the hallways and a new wood floors in the bedrooms and so, finished the works our Guest can choose to stay in a room with soft comfortable carpet or with modern parquet.

Finally, the Doria Grand Hotel, as you rightly pointed out, is a classic hotel in Liberty Style, the upgrades that we have done over the years , and that will surely continue to do, are upgrades that cannot fail to take in account the soul and style of the hotel which for over twenty years is a landmark for the hospitality of Milano.

I sincerely hope that you will soon return to the Doria Grand Hotel and please contact us directly so as the chance to stay in one of the new rooms.