The somewhat tacky name and the ugly modern facade of this hotel have always repelled me from staying there, until last December we decided to try it for a one-night stay, connecting to our Boston flight from Malpensa after a long sojourn in Rome. The hotel had some great rates at that time, and considering its fantastic location, we opted to give it a try.
Rosa Grand has pleasantly surprised and in many ways exceeded expectations. The reception area was in a subdued modern design, a bit claustrophobic with low ceilings, but when we entered our room #448, we sighed with relief – it was quite large, beautifully equipped with quality furnishings, with plenty of closet space and just an overall opulent look. The marble bathroom was shining of cleanliness and luxury; everything was made to please.
The bed was very comfortable and the quality of sleep excellent; we asked for a quiet room and ended up with a courtyard view, which assured total quietness.
The location is as central as it can be, close to every attraction in the city, including Duomo, Via dei Mercanti, Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, Teatro alla Scala, a walk to Pinacoteca di Brera, and also very close to the famous shopping streets. One can either walk or take a metro from Duomo station to fabulous sites like monastery of San-Maurizio with Bernardino Luini frescoes or Sant’Ambrogio basilica, an architectural wonder containing Carolingian medieval sculptural masterpieces.
The breakfast was excellent, varied and rich; it started early enough for us to catch it before departing to Malpensa airport; the concierge would first try to sell you a limo ride there (over 100 euro), but I insisted on learning a more economical way, and it turned out to be a taxi to Ponta Garibaldi train station, from where there is a train to Malpensa.
Thus, our stay in Rosa Grand was very satisfying. My critique would be a somewhat slow drain in the shower; perhaps it is by now addressed.
Otherwise, it is a high-quality hotel, as its rate would imply; recommended if you wish to pamper yourself with excellent comfort and to pay handsomely for it – most hotels in Milan are extraordinary expensive for what you get, and Rosa Grand is no exception. Yet on the Milanese price scale, it provides great comfort, especially if you don’t mind super-modern bare-to-bones design in public areas, which to me looks cold and impersonal, and not overly elegant for such a pricey hotel. We went for dinner instead in a restaurant in the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele, which is conveniently very close to the hotel. That made our Milan one-day voyage complete, and left pleasant memories from our last night on the Italian soil.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Rosa Grand hotel perfectly captures Milan's mix of the innovative and the inspiring. The refurbished interior exudes Italian craftsmanship with each of the 330 rooms fusing impeccable comfort with chic Italian style. Widely acclaimed as one of the best hotels in Milan, the Rosa Grand puts you in the heart of the city's historic district with the Duomo and world-famous Via Monte Napoleone just moments away. Partnership with Eataly means new value and uniqueness for Starhotels' offering. Eataly will create made to measure menus, events and collaborative initiatives with star chefs and also provide consulting on the selection of raw materials and products for Starhotels catering. Collaboration has begun at the three restaurants in the cosmopolitan Rosa Grand in Milan, where art, design, one-off details and creative recipes will give you an extremely enjoyable break. Open every day from 7am to 11 pm. The Wellness Center offers state-of- the-art equipment for a total workout and a relax area complete with Turkish bath and solarium. Your very own Personal Trainer is available upon request and must be reserved in advanced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starhotels Rosa Grand Milan
- Starhotels Rosa Grand Hotel Milan