“Amazing atmosphere very bad sitting”
Review of La Scala Opera

Ranked #16 of 872 things to do in Milan
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world-renowned opera house was built in 1778, where many composers wrote and conducted works including such greats as Rossini, Puccini, Verdi and Toscanini.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Was planning this trip with my wife to Milano half a year and my wife was dreaming about visiting La Scala. Bought tickets in boxes for 240 eur and the sight from box was not same as was shown on web while buying ticket. We were lucky that 2 other seats in box where empty so we could enjoy the whole view. But if the box is full and you are older its no chance to you to see something if you got back seats. I will definetly come back to there but now I know- if you cant afford good seats simply don't go there!!!! And that's sure!

4  Thank Darius I

Reviewed November 16, 2013

if you are info music, opera history and hear the different between do and fa - silly go there or you can't call yourself a melomaniac!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Went as part of a half day tour of Milan. The building isn't so interesting from outside but the actual theatre itself is certainly worth visiting. There is an interesting museum as well.

1  Thank pjmsimmons
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Went to see Aida- Magnifico! One of the five must- things to do before you die. BUT staff are not friendly, seating is attrocious and seriously unconfortable, our box was unbelievably small- after nearly 4 hours of Opera I had a seriously sore back. During the pause the sandwiches on offer were very poor- I would have loved to eat some posh canapeés with salmon and caviar- nope! Had a cheese sandwich. If there is a next time, I will bring pain killers and my own food and ear plugs to overhear the imploite staff. To be improved

2  Thank Jionkan
Reviewed November 15, 2013

During a brief stay in Milan I checked if there were any tickets for my last night. For whatever reason, I got lucky and there was a seat available in a box, so I took it despite the dizzying price.

Though I know next to nothing about opera, I thought that a lot of expense and effort had gone into the set and props, which were on a majestic scale and yet still were executed with meticulous detail. Rich colors and textures, ornate furnishings and backdrops, even the whole stage was on hydraulics so that the closing scenes could be shown bi-level (priestesses above, entombed lovers below) - all a feast for the eyes. (The patrons, by the way, were very well-dressed, and it was enjoyable to look at them, too. If you do go to a performance here, consider a business suit for men - no one was in black tie - and a cocktail dress with pearls for ladies - no one was in long gown.)

The music (again, an uneducated opinion here) was not to the same standard. The chorus was weak, and Aida's voice faded abruptly, breathless, on a couple of occasions. The Triumphal March (the music that most people associate with this opera) was somehow disjoint, lacking oomph.

Other reviewers have complained about high prices and poor viewing from the boxes. They were right. In the boxes closer in, if you are in the back two seats, your viewing angle is sideways and you have to both stand and crane your neck to see more than a third of the stage. Keep in mind, these seats cost close to US$ 300, so I can understand how some people are upset.

That said, if you have the slightest interest in music, a visit to La Scala is a kind of pilgrimage that you should make. Pay for whatever seat you can get, tolerate the impaired sight-lines, and just enjoy it as a Total Experience.

2  Thank MannyG2000